Buying an iPad Mini or not?

05-28-2013, 01:15 AM
#1
Buying an iPad Mini or not?

Hey y'all! So guys, I need some advice from you.
I currently have an iPod 4g, and I have been using it for around two years. Since a lot of games lately aren't compatible for my iPod 4g, I think it's time to upgrade to a newer device. I was thinking about an iPad Mini: Not too expensive, and the screen size is just fine. But still I'm hesitating to buy it, because there are a lot of rumors about the release of an iPad Mini 2 in Q3.
The only rumors I heard are about the better screen, but the thing I'm afraid for, is that it maybe also has better software. If I buy one now, my iPad Mini will maybe get faster outdated than the iPad Mini 2, if the iPad Mini 2 has better software.
So what do you guys think? Should I buy it with some risks included, or should a wait a couple of months for the iPad Mini 2?

Last edited by Underwater; 05-28-2013 at 01:21 AM.
05-28-2013, 01:17 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,766
I'd wait, but I love retina stupid amounts. It might only be a couple of months so you'll be kicking yourself if the improvements are significant.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

05-28-2013, 01:24 AM
#3
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,631
iPad mini 2 will also have a better chipset and more ram, if retina is a given. I'd wait, it's only a few months.
05-28-2013, 04:07 AM
#4
depends what you can afford?

I also have two ipod touch 4g 64gb, works with most stuff...use for some apps/music etc.

sold my old ipad a while back and got a used iPad 2 wifi/3g 64gb... then got a 2nd used iPad 2 wifi/3g 64gb for me, wife + kids and i wanted more space! more of a ipad gamer then a ipod/iphone small screen gamer

but i would say always go 64gb or 128gb if you can! i like having more space for my buck buying an older model vs settling with less GB on the newest model because of the cost.
05-28-2013, 07:31 AM
#5
I'd wait. You don't want your brand-new shiny iPad mini to be outdated by September.
05-28-2013, 07:54 AM
#6
Always buy devices with stronger GPUs, devs love you for it as we can add more eye candy :P

Dev homepage: http://www.simiansquared.com
Currently developing: http://tobgame.com/
Twitter: @SimianSquared
05-28-2013, 09:15 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY/USA
Posts: 2,316
Release date getting close so I suggest waiting. I held off knowing I'd regret the early buy because the next has retina and (hopefully) other upgrades.

Last edited by Coldar; 05-28-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: word correction
05-28-2013, 11:03 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 408
I had a similar quandary on whether to get an iPad Mini or wait. This was earlier in the year (February-ish), but I'm really glad I didn't wait, because every rumor of a release date would've had me twitchy when one didn't actually emerge.

That said, it's been several months now, so you're probably closer to an actual release date - and not rumors of rumors - plus I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Apple's "typical" release time is late summer/early fall and announcements in June/July which is a much smaller gap to wait.

I didn't (and don't) regret buying mine when I did - yes, I'll be sad when retina comes to the iPad Mini, whenever that happens (is it confirmed for 2?) and I wish for more space - but I'd have been waiting months on the edge of my seat, instead of spending those months playing with my device.

This reply was bigger than intended, my advice boils down to: my experience/choice will vary from yours, you're probably better off waiting (if you can manage it) until you have more information.
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
#9
I have also seen a lot of rumors saying that there won't be a new iPad mini till next year. It's all just a guessing game. I bought an iPad mini last Monday and I'm in love with it. I don't regret it a bit. When the next one comes, I can probably sell it for quite a bit, and buy the new one, for a bit more. I dunno though, its all based off of if you are will in to risk it, we can't really decide for you. I'm happy with my purchase though.
05-28-2013, 04:07 PM
#10
Hehe, thanks for the great advices and opinions! Still a hard decision, but I guess I'll wait for the new iPad Mini, or at least when there is some news. I think the release can't be that far away, because Apple releases new stuff pretty frequently. I think you are right, that waiting is maybe better.