Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Default After Earth

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 06-01-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

If you've ever wanted to play a game as Will Smith's son, here ya go...

Last edited by Greyskull; 05-31-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I just want it coz it reminds me of Pitfall... Plus, im always in on a good sci fi.

Downloading now. Imps in a bit.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
If you've ever wanted to play a game as Will Smith's som, here ya go...
Bad boys miami takedown.
Gamecube or xbox.
Imps inibound?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saansilt View Post
Bad boys miami takedown.
Gamecube or xbox.
Imps inibound?
Firing it up now.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Initial impressions:

Not bad at all... Actually i like it a lot, but the game may need a few tweaks to be great. There's a few "sections" that are different game modes within the game, similar to Pitfall or Temple Run Oz, which i'll try to explain one by one. Oh and you are not Jaden Smith here, and you can choose between a male or a female runner.

The first one is the behind-the-back runner sections. Fairly standard, good responsive controls, but the animation seems a bit stiff. Swipe left-right to switch lanes, swipe up to jump, swipe down to slide. Tap to swing your sword. You can switch direction midair or mid-slide, and you can cancel jumps into slides and vice versa. Controls are really god.

The second one is the side-scrolling runner. Again, pretty standard, but a bit lacking in mechanics as this is just jumps and slides. Havent encountered anything that uses the sword, but your guy swings his sword on a tap.

EDIT (adding): later on, you will get to Side scrolling levels where you also have to swipe right to move forward, and swipe left to move backward. Sorta like having 3 lanes, but the lanes are in front of you. Pretty sweet actually.

The third one is the jump/falling sections. In some sections, your guy will jump off a cliff to switch to this scene. This is kinda the 'meh' part of the game to me. Controls are tilt-only, and the sensitivity feels weird. On the plus side, at least tilting farthermost in a direction will get you through this segment. Basically, this is similar to Falling Fred or AaaaaAAAAaaaAAAaaaahhhh (or however you spell that). Avoid obstacles while picking up coins.

Weirdly enough, i havent tried touching the screen during these sections. O_o

The last section, is a boss fight. This is played similar to how you play Rhythm games like Cytus or Demons Score, but without the rhythm. You just have to tap on the circles, and slide on the lines and you can watch as your guy/gal jukes it out with the boss. The controls work well here, but i wish there was some sort of "feedback" when you tap correctly or swipe correctly. I dont feel any clanging, smashing, or clicking sounds on successful taps or swipes which make them feel weird, but it does read your input well.

There's an endless mode, i think, but the main mission mode is NOT endless.

Overall the game feels good, and is a bit unique with all the genre-mashup they did, but some polish will need to be done to make this game fantastic. Great potential on this one, and it's already good.

There's tons of upgrades and items to procure, but i havent really touched any of them yet.

EDIT (Adding): The enemies are design to encourage some strategic choices. Some enemies will have orbs circling around them that you need to avoid, or those will damage you. There are also enemies that shoot a wave attack at you which you have to jump over before you can attack them. It's easy to tell which enemy is which based on their colors, soon you'll be able to recognize them form afar. The variety in enemies is another one of those that make this game the most varied runner game to date.

There are 2 currencies in the game, and I have 1 of the premium currencies already. I believe i got this off the boss fight i won earlier, and there's a cool way to spend them in other than spending them on getting upgrades fast.

For 50 gems, you can unlock Special Missions permanently which gives 1 gem each day when completed. There are 5 special missions to unlock, so that means 5 gems each day when completed, plus whatever you get during your daily runs. This doesnt sound too bad because of how you can get them free anyways, but i cant say how much grind is really involved when starting out to get your first 50 gems.

On the downside, Gems in IAP are pretty expensive. Like, insane-level expensive. $5 gives you 55 gems. Which means, your $5 can only be converted into 1 gem per day. Now that sounds greedy. There's more IAP options, but you already have an idea. :P

If that's not enough, my first 3 training missions only got me a little less than 2500 of the Coins, the game's basic and more common currency. The problem here is that the cheapest permanent upgrade is at 2500, which is Cutlass Damage, and is only useful during boss fights. The next cheapest upgrade us Headstart, which improves the effect of the Headstart items (still pretty useless upgrade until you've maxed out other upgrades). And the next one is the Magnet Booster which is at 5000 coins.

So here goes my summary and recommendation:

After Earth is a decent multi-platform runner with good controls (except the jump tilt) and varied gameplay, but marred with some awkward/floaty animations. The IAP push is also a little robust, BUT it could improve the more i play it as i have only played it for the first 3 missions (which are mostly training missions).

My recommendation is to get it if you have a buck to spare, or if you want a fairly unique take on runners, BUT i strongly suggest waiting for it to go free in the coming future, which is lookin to be pretty soon based on what i've seen.

Cheers!
-Psience

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 06-01-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks for taking the hit mate.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Forgot to mention that the visuals are pretty good, with some varied backgrounds and enemies involved. And there's also a swipe towards a side-wall to wall run, which is a pretty nice touch. Havent included this on my post above, because this was introduced in the fourth mission.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by saansilt View Post
Thanks for taking the hit mate.
No problem, i actually like the game, but im sure it can get greedy in the long run, especially now that we have a good number of Runner game choices that are fairly polished and greatly enjoyable.

If a dev were here to listen to feedback and implement some changes, im sure this game will be one of the best runners we can have on iOS. But hey, what are the chances of that happening, right?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Also, i havent seen that hover-thingy riding that's shown on screeenshot 4, or the zipline segments shown in screenshot 5.

This confirms my claims that the game really shows promise, but they have to make some tweaks to polish the game.