Support our Sponsors:

Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Default IPad vs Ipad Mini

So, I'm running an Ipad 1 which is essentially done...too many games will not run on it anymore.

So I really am torn, it will be used 85-90%for gaming/xbmc remotes. My first instinct is that the ipad mini is the way to go...it's closer to a portable gaming system etc and just easier on the hands for longer play times. But then I think, smaller screen, no retina and a dated processor might be too many negatives. Just curious, for the dedicated ios gamers out there...mini or biggie and why?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

It depends on your intentions I guess.

As an avid rhythm gamer the normal sized ipad is the only way to go. You just can't get the same ease and precision playing jubeat or rerave with anything smaller. That being said for everything else I'm sure an iPad mini would suffice. It'd be what I'd want if weren't for rhythm games.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Regardless of which you want, wait until October for the new ones. No retina and dated processor on the mini will probably be alleviated. The larger iPad will probably also become lighter and more portable at the same time.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I can't imagine liking a mini over the iPad. But, I have some friends that have a mini that they love, BUT they don't have an iPad. I guess going to an Apple store, or Best Buy and playing with each for a while would be the way to go.
If you really want the portability - carrying it around all day - that might be another reason, but my ipad goes to school and the office with me, easy to carry around the house, and the larger screen makes it great for everything. True, weight can be an issue for extended (several hours) of holding, but I don't use my ipad like that frequently. It tends to be for 5 -30 minutes throughout the day. No problems with that.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I have a mini and a full size iPad. I've had the mini for a week and a half, and I've used it more that I used my iPad in over a year and a half. The size makes it so much more comfortable to use and hold. I don't have an issue reading the non retina stuff so I've been doing all of my web browsing on it, although some people actually do so if you're like that either wait for the retina mini or get the full size. Gaming wise, it's an iPad 2 essentially, which is still (mostly) supported. I haven't run into to much lag, although I haven't done *too* much gaming yet.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxking97 View Post
I have a mini and a full size iPad. I've had the mini for a week and a half, and I've used it more that I used my iPad in over a year and a half. The size makes it so much more comfortable to use and hold. I don't have an issue reading the non retina stuff so I've been doing all of my web browsing on it, although some people actually do so if you're like that either wait for the retina mini or get the full size. Gaming wise, it's an iPad 2 essentially, which is still (mostly) supported. I haven't run into to much lag, although I haven't done *too* much gaming yet.
I have both and for gaming, the mini wins easily. Sure you lose retina resolution, but what's a high resolution game if you cant play it for longer periods of time?

Basically, the mini does everything in terms of gaming, and does it better. Even without retina, there is still a higher pixel density compared to ipad2, which makes the mini look like it has a sharper resolution.

The mini is also the perfect size for reading books.

On the downside, the mini falls short in browsing as the text looks muddy if youve trained your eyes on a retina pad, but its ok if you havent. Comics are also better on the larger pads.

Movies work the same way on both the mini and the bigger pads.

In summary, gaming-wise, ipad mini wins for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Hands down the iPad in my opinion (I usually set it down with the smart cover stand up while playing games so holding it isn't an issue for me), but I definitely understand the love for the mini. My advice is, if you are set on buying one, wait until the next iteration which will most likely include retina which is the key feature it is missing right now (after owning 2 retina devices, my eyes can't look at a non-retina device for more than 5 minutes).
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
Regardless of which you want, wait until October for the new ones. No retina and dated processor on the mini will probably be alleviated. The larger iPad will probably also become lighter and more portable at the same time.
This is good advice. (Unless money is no object.) The way Apple have strategised their device updates, it strikes me as lunacy to even consider buying a new device 6 months or more into the device's life. (Again, unless money is no object.)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
It depends on your intentions I guess.

As an avid rhythm gamer the normal sized ipad is the only way to go. You just can't get the same ease and precision playing jubeat or rerave with anything smaller. That being said for everything else I'm sure an iPad mini would suffice. It'd be what I'd want if weren't for rhythm games.
Well, I have rerave, and a mini is a hell of a lot better than my previous choice, an iphone 4S.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I can't imagine liking a mini over the iPad. But, I have some friends that have a mini that they love, BUT they don't have an iPad. I guess going to an Apple store, or Best Buy and playing with each for a while would be the way to go.
If you really want the portability - carrying it around all day - that might be another reason, but my ipad goes to school and the office with me, easy to carry around the house, and the larger screen makes it great for everything. True, weight can be an issue for extended (several hours) of holding, but I don't use my ipad like that frequently. It tends to be for 5 -30 minutes throughout the day. No problems with that.
It's simple, really. Do you lie your ipad down and view it that way, or do you hold it up? I always hold mine up (even when using a full-sized ipad), so a mini is the only way to go.

I received the original Kindle Fire (which I sold) as a gift, and had an epiphany: I'll only buy a tablet I can comfortably hold up in one hand. I spend most of my time w/my ipad, when I'm home, outside on my patio. A cigarette in one hand and a full sized ipad in the other just doesn't cut it. I might get an ipad 4 specifically for music apps, however.