Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
iPhone 4S

Default Deep Dungeons of Doom (by Bossa Studios Ltd)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 06-05-2013 at 03:35 AM..
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

The loading screen was the right size for iPhone 5, but as soon as the game started it changed it. Hopefully just a bug. Given that the gameplay seems to be based on left/right taps, I don't want to mess up because I'm pressing in the black areas on the sides that don't receive touch events. I don't understand how these keep getting past the approval process even though they were supposed to have mandated iPhone 5 optimization and retina graphics since the beginning of May. EDIT: Even more oddly, it does receive touches in the black bars. Is it intentionally not displaying stuff there?

It's weird; I've heard about this being on OUYA, but there was no announcement that it was about to be released on iOS like I'd expect. Maybe this was an accidental release. Maybe that explains the lack of iPhone 5 support; this could be an older build submitted before May to make sure they get to keep the name.

It seems like you purchase six more dungeons (not sure how many are in by default yet) for $2.99, one of which is endless. You can also buy bundles of gold for up to $150. o.O There are also bundles of revives for up to $65.

If the devs are reading this, the arrow button to go back on the Career Stats page is facing right, when it should really be facing left like every other back button on iOS.

All the menu buttons are also pretty hard to see the icons on because it's really dark brown on brown. Having the icons be the same color as the emboss on the edges of the buttons would really help (or gold or white, like some of the other UI elements. Gold would look nice). It's especially bad on the achievement and leaderboard icons in Other. The Icon is sort of the same way; it practically just looks like a red square. Something involving this (http://assets.bossagames.com/ddd/bos..._ouya_icon.png) would look so much better.

The left and right arrows in the encyclopedia also look like they're greyed out, so I didn't tap them the first time I looked. It would be much more obviously if they were gold like the rest of the trim on that screen.

Inertial scrolling on the map screen would be nice, but it's fine without it.

The scrolling behavior in the stash is really, really weird. It's like a paginated scroll view but it stops you at a certain point before going to the next page with a glow that's like the glow on Android at the end of a scroll view. EDIT: Scrolling between floors also has the same awkward scrolling behavior. Ugh.

EDIT 2: To be clear, this is just picking out the things that could be fixed. I haven't played much of the game itself yet, but it seems interesting. The different things it says on the button to start a level are amusing.

Last edited by Fleabag323; 06-03-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Oops I posted this thread a few min ago. Didn't know you already made it

Anyways, this is a really fun game!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

So it seems like the first 5 dungeons are free, and the next 6 (the last of which is endless) cost $2.99. I'm not sure how long that would last, though. I feel like the endless dungeon should be the main game, and the campaign of sorts could be purchased separately. As it is, there is little reason to buy the microtransactions before getting the rest of the content because it's not difficult, but I don't want to pay $2.99 for the rest of the content since I hate games that "double dip" in the sense that they're at a comparatively high price yet still have microtransactions.

All that is in addition to the fact that I don't really "get" the game. All you do is tap the attack side every certain interval, but tap the shield side when the enemy is at the beginning of its attack animation. There are extra things like holding attack to regen health or do other effects for alternate characters, but if you don't mess up in the first place, you don't need that. I feel like there could have been a much better game made with the fantastic enemy designs and animations.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

There are more good ideas here than at a Procrastinators Anonymous convention, and a fair bit of depth to boot, but the IAP implementation feels like a Zynga honcho just threw up all over my screen, and makes the overall experience a bit...icky.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Reaaly good game. Always looked for dungeon crawl with global hero leveling.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Default Game Impressions

Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Enjoyed the game but it didn't keep me interested for very long once i read about the small amount of levels and such.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:57 AM

A lovely little game! Beautiful animations, and the timing-based gameplay works surprisingly well. Also very polished with nice cutscenes and integrated bestiary a la Castlevania. Not sure yet about the lasting appeal, but so far this little gem is giving me much joy!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by litenDavid View Post
A lovely little game! Beautiful animations, and the timing-based gameplay works surprisingly well. Also very polished with nice cutscenes and integrated bestiary a la Castlevania. Not sure yet about the lasting appeal, but so far this little gem is giving me much joy!
Ditto for me too. Pretty fun so far from what I tried. I like how in dungeons, there's random loot to gather for that session. The game feels like a "rhythm" game to me as you can only attack at certain times, and you have to pay attention to enemies' attack animation. There seems to be other fighting mechanics thats still be introduced to me even 4 dungeons in.

Outside of dungeons, there's an "alter" which seem to be permanent things to unlock which seems to modify your stats inside dungeons. There's different conditions to unlock each item (ie: beat certain dungeons, find certain places inside each dungeon, etc), then you can buy it with gold you win from the game. There's a "stash", but currently I don't know what its for.

The IAP isn't that bad *to me*. Basically one IAP to unlock the rest of the game. One set of IAP for extra lives so you can "cheat" and continue should you die. One set of IAP for extra gold so you can buy your stat modifier upgrades quickly.