Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default iOS Official Game Controller API

So it looks like this may actually be happening. An official API for game controllers from Apple, including dual analog sticks, buttons, etc.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Is it really a preferable kind of controls for mobile devices? Games like Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump etc. have simple controls but they fit perfectly into mobile device capabilities.
Curious about your opinions!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Think its superb. Theres a good amount of games which are brilliant on the iCade or iCade joysticks.

Obviously games like Tiny Wings etc dont need joysticks, but a good majority of games like platformers and others would be great to have the possibility of using a joystick.

Theres a lot of iCade compatible games but because it always had to be 'secret' (you werent meant to be icade compatible in your app description) but now its all 'open' then hopefully many more games will be compatible with the right joystick/official one etc.

Looking forward to it
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Agreed. This is great for gamers and devs alike. No more control limitations
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Just had my internet speed upgraded from 2 meg to 30 ! So i'll have to test to see if games are better on my Apple TV or not as there was always a slight lag before.

But my point was with this external controller many more people will get into joysticks with iOS gaming, combine that with Apple TV and you have a brilliant gaming device hardly taking up any room.

If i was the gamedock people i think they should get their product out asap before all the other joysticks/larger devices come to market...

http://iosgamedock.com/

Dont get me wrong i'm sure they're going as fast as they can but its only a matter of time till ION and other manufacturers come out with different joystick devices etc
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM

An Apple-provided API and MFi requirements are good things!

The Apple API means less work/hassles for both game and hardware devs, and MFi certification ensures button mappings will always be the same, no matter the manufacturer. Just look at the complete mess of incompatible iCade controller mappings to see what happens when Apple isn't involved.

This doesn't preclude hardware companies from releasing specialized (or not-MFi) controllers however. The CoreBluetooth API has been open for a while now and anyone willing to write their own SDK are still free to do so. Though I bet some companies that have already done this (like iFrogz) are probably a little miffed since the keynote.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to iOSPeace Send a message via Skype™ to iOSPeace

Thank The Lord! A controller for games like Modern Combat, Nova and Asphailt and other FPS's and Such. Can't wait for more info on this
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Just had my internet speed upgraded from 2 meg to 30 ! So i'll have to test to see if games are better on my Apple TV or not as there was always a slight lag before.

what has your internet connection todo with you local wifi?

in general there will always be some lag even with fast wifi , but the image quality does not degrade as much with a good good connection.

as for controllers, there are still a niche and i doubt there is really a big demand out there. this may change with a beefier apple tv that can play games directly.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to iOSPeace Send a message via Skype™ to iOSPeace

But there are so many controller companies out there and very few actually work. The only one that really works is the Sony ps3 controller and to use it, you have to be jailbroken. So a controller for iOS would be great. Expecially for FPS and dungeon crawler RPGs. So can't wait for it to come out
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChris View Post
Is it really a preferable kind of controls for mobile devices? Games like Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump etc. have simple controls but they fit perfectly into mobile device capabilities.
Curious about your opinions!
For some games the touch on-screen controls are fine, but for other games like FPSs they're not. You really need more than 2 control points. Analog sticks, triggers, and buttons are really essential for many games, and knowing that you hit a control (a physical button) because you felt it is much better than not knowing because you got no tactile feedback from the touch screen. Not to mention the loss of screen real estate when you clutter it with controls.

I cant wait for this.