Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Man of Steel (by Warner Bros.)

HD (iPad Only) Version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/man-of-steel-hd/id640377046?mt=8

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by metalcasket; 06-13-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

$5? Damn... Ok. Bought. Imps later.

EDIT: Bought the HD version by the way... and it says 56 mins to complete download O_o

$4.99 for the HD version, and $2.99 for the iphone version for anyone interested to know.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 06-13-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Downloading faster than a speeding..?!..ummm..

Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Deputy View Post
Downloading faster than a speeding..?!..ummm..

While downloading im just playing Minion Rush. Fun little game... One of Gameloft's few freemium gems. The game also reward those who decide to play the game consistently, by giving weekly (it seems) rewards to top players by giving them free premium currency.

Anyways... 10mins to complete my Man of Steel download.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Looks like a brawler, like Arkham City Lockdown with more bing, bang and heat rays.

Anyone has impressions yet?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM

Filesize:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Anyone has impressions yet?
In...

Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

One thing that surprised me, which i didnt catch before, is that the game was also made by Phosphor Studios, who gave us some good games like Horn, Dark Meadow and World War Z. These games are all Infinity Blade-inspired titles, that hold some unique mechanics to tell themselves apart from IB.

Man of Steel is no different from the IB-esque games, but it also has its own twists that make it unique to those inspired by IB.

After 4 story missions, i have to say it's pretty fun, and the game's better than Avengers Initiative in terms of fun factor and gameplay mechanics, but it is a bit less in terms of Visual appeal. The graphics is still good though, just not as good as other IB-esque titles. In MoS, the visuals look kinda rough, but i like the new mechanics they added here to make the gameplay unique. Maybe it was a rushed effort since Phosphor became too busy working on this and World War Z, and the Superman film came out earlier than WWZ. Makes me think this game was rushed to meet the Movie tie in schedule.

Anyways, on to game mechanics.

Dodges here work differently. These dodges can only dodge "red aura" attacks, but they can also be used to change your positioning, which in turn changes the direction of your knockbacks. Dodge buttons are on the lower left and right of the screens, just like the usual. More on the positioning later.

Blocks are performed by tapping and holding anywhere on the screen, which is neat, coz the usual similar games have a block button for this. Well timed blocks are considered parries which, despite not dealing damage, reduces enemy stamina.

Attacks are done with swipes as usual, and each attack does small damage to enemy HP, and it also reduces enemy stamina.

When enemy stamina drops to zero, you have an opening to attack once with a more powerful punch, which knocks back enemies into the background. Knocking them back gives extra XP at the end of the fight scenes. When you dodge, you change your positioning similar to how it is in Horn. Then, knockbacks will crash enemies to different areas in the game. Kinda looks neat to be able to slam your opponets into buildings, trucks, tanks, trains and walls.

On some knockback scenes, there will be a button on the lower middle of the screen. Tap it, and Superman grabs the knocked back enemies and he flies with them while holding on to them. During this sequence, camera angles change a bit and it looks good, and you can swipe anywhere on the sceen like having an invisible vstick, to slam your opponents into backgrounds and drag them on the ground or whatever you can find along the path. At the end of this special knockback scene, you arrive in a different fight location than the previous.

During fights, if enemies keep on blocking your attacks, you can pinch on the screen to initiate a "grab" scene. Superman grabs the enemies hands and yu have to tap their hands to win the grapple and render the enemy stunned for a free combo/knockback.

Sometimes the enemies will be the ones attempting to grab superman, so just rapidly tap the indicator to get free.

Like IB, there are button for special attacks that become available on cooldowns. There's Super Speed, and then there's the iconic Heat Vision. Tap the buttons to activate.

For Heat Vision, you can tap and drag along the enemy's body parts to target those with your heat vision. Havent tested this much, but i hope there are different damage factors in different hit locations to make this mechanic cooler.

For Super Speed, it basicaly gives you a huge window to swipe-mash your screen to deal massive damage. It deals less stamina damage, but dropping the stamina to zero at the end of the sequence also gives you the knockback opportunity.

Superman gains XP as he fights bad guys, and he uses these XP to upgrade his skills and his stats.

For stat upgrades, there's Power (punch damage), Attack Speed, Block Damage Reduction (reduces damage taken when blocking), Dodge Speed (yeah the initial dodge speeds are kinda sluggish), Health and Fortitude (reduces damage taken).

For the ability upgrades, Heat Vision gets upgrades for Damage, Duration, and Frequency (increased regeneration of the HV meter from blocks, parries and grapples). Super Speed also receives the same set of upgrades. Al of these can be upgraded using earned XP in the game.

Then, there's the Costumes. These costumes have their own bonus stats in them, but are basically just subtle differences in between them. On the downside, these can only be bought using "Keys" which are the game's premium currency. The good part is that defeating certain enemies give out Keys when you defeat them, and playing Survival mode also gives you a chance at gaining them.

Another thing this game has unique in it, are the doublers. There's a Key Doubler and an XP Doubler IAP which costs just a buck each. Not sure how frequent they give out Keys to make the Key Doubler worth it in story mode, but im sure the XP Doubler is a good deal.

From what i've seen, IAPs for extra Keys and XP are not required to progress, but i havent gotten to the later parts of the game to see how XP gain scales with the game's difficulty.

There's two modes in the game too, which makes for some really good replay value. The first one is Story Mode, and plays a bit like Arkham City Lockdown's missions, and then there's Survival Mode which is yet another pretty cool addition to the game.

Survival Mode is basically fighting enemy after enemy until you run out of HP. The great thing about this Survival mode, is that there are objectives, Jetpack Joyride style. Each met objective gives out Keys which is pretty nice, and seems it's where the Key Doubler becomes a lot more useful.

The problem i have with these objectives, is that im not sure how to execute them. Some samples are to perform "Ground Bounce" and "Skyring Knockbacks". I guess i'll figure them out as I play along.

At the start of a Survival Mode run, there are "boosts" you can use, but you use Keys to activate them.

Overall, it's a fun game based on IB's formula, and i should say well worth the asking price of $5 (HD version) for the unique take on the genre. Im more a Marvel fan than a DC fan, but i do think Man of Steel is much better than Avengers Initiative.

Best thing is that this has more meat than most of the IB-clones out there right now.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 AM

Default Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer added to the first post...

Last edited by Sanuku; 06-13-2013 at 07:13 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
One thing that surprised me, which i didnt catch before, is that the game was also made by Phosphor Studios, who gave us some good games like Horn, Dark Meadow and World War Z. These games are all Infinity Blade-inspired titles, that hold some unique mechanics to tell themselves apart from IB.

Man of Steel is no different from the IB-esque games, but it also has its own twists that make it unique to those inspired by IB.

After 4 story missions, i have to say it's pretty fun, and the game's better than Avengers Initiative in terms of fun factor and gameplay mechanics, but it is a bit less in terms of Visual appeal. The graphics is still good though, just not as good as other IB-esque titles. In MoS, the visuals look kinda rough, but i like the new mechanics they added here to make the gameplay unique. Maybe it was a rushed effort since Phosphor became too busy working on this and World War Z, and the Superman film came out earlier than WWZ. Makes me think this game was rushed to meet the Movie tie in schedule.

Anyways, on to game mechanics.

Dodges here work differently. These dodges can only dodge "red aura" attacks, but they can also be used to change your positioning, which in turn changes the direction of your knockbacks. Dodge buttons are on the lower left and right of the screens, just like the usual. More on the positioning later.

Blocks are performed by tapping and holding anywhere on the screen, which is neat, coz the usual similar games have a block button for this. Well timed blocks are considered parries which, despite not dealing damage, reduces enemy stamina.

Attacks are done with swipes as usual, and each attack does small damage to enemy HP, and it also reduces enemy stamina.

When enemy stamina drops to zero, you have an opening to attack once with a more powerful punch, which knocks back enemies into the background. Knocking them back gives extra XP at the end of the fight scenes. When you dodge, you change your positioning similar to how it is in Horn. Then, knockbacks will crash enemies to different areas in the game. Kinda looks neat to be able to slam your opponets into buildings, trucks, tanks, trains and walls.

On some knockback scenes, there will be a button on the lower middle of the screen. Tap it, and Superman grabs the knocked back enemies and he flies with them while holding on to them. During this sequence, camera angles change a bit and it looks good, and you can swipe anywhere on the sceen like having an invisible vstick, to slam your opponents into backgrounds and drag them on the ground or whatever you can find along the path. At the end of this special knockback scene, you arrive in a different fight location than the previous.

During fights, if enemies keep on blocking your attacks, you can pinch on the screen to initiate a "grab" scene. Superman grabs the enemies hands and yu have to tap their hands to win the grapple and render the enemy stunned for a free combo/knockback.

Sometimes the enemies will be the ones attempting to grab superman, so just rapidly tap the indicator to get free.

Like IB, there are button for special attacks that become available on cooldowns. There's Super Speed, and then there's the iconic Heat Vision. Tap the buttons to activate.

For Heat Vision, you can tap and drag along the enemy's body parts to target those with your heat vision. Havent tested this much, but i hope there are different damage factors in different hit locations to make this mechanic cooler.

For Super Speed, it basicaly gives you a huge window to swipe-mash your screen to deal massive damage. It deals less stamina damage, but dropping the stamina to zero at the end of the sequence also gives you the knockback opportunity.

Superman gains XP as he fights bad guys, and he uses these XP to upgrade his skills and his stats.

For stat upgrades, there's Power (punch damage), Attack Speed, Block Damage Reduction (reduces damage taken when blocking), Dodge Speed (yeah the initial dodge speeds are kinda sluggish), Health and Fortitude (reduces damage taken).

For the ability upgrades, Heat Vision gets upgrades for Damage, Duration, and Frequency (increased regeneration of the HV meter from blocks, parries and grapples). Super Speed also receives the same set of upgrades. Al of these can be upgraded using earned XP in the game.

Then, there's the Costumes. These costumes have their own bonus stats in them, but are basically just subtle differences in between them. On the downside, these can only be bought using "Keys" which are the game's premium currency. The good part is that defeating certain enemies give out Keys when you defeat them, and playing Survival mode also gives you a chance at gaining them.

Another thing this game has unique in it, are the doublers. There's a Key Doubler and an XP Doubler IAP which costs just a buck each. Not sure how frequent they give out Keys to make the Key Doubler worth it in story mode, but im sure the XP Doubler is a good deal.

From what i've seen, IAPs for extra Keys and XP are not required to progress, but i havent gotten to the later parts of the game to see how XP gain scales with the game's difficulty.

There's two modes in the game too, which makes for some really good replay value. The first one is Story Mode, and plays a bit like Arkham City Lockdown's missions, and then there's Survival Mode which is yet another pretty cool addition to the game.

Survival Mode is basically fighting enemy after enemy until you run out of HP. The great thing about this Survival mode, is that there are objectives, Jetpack Joyride style. Each met objective gives out Keys which is pretty nice, and seems it's where the Key Doubler becomes a lot more useful.

The problem i have with these objectives, is that im not sure how to execute them. Some samples are to perform "Ground Bounce" and "Skyring Knockbacks". I guess i'll figure them out as I play along.

At the start of a Survival Mode run, there are "boosts" you can use, but you use Keys to activate them.

Overall, it's a fun game based on IB's formula, and i should say well worth the asking price of $5 (HD version) for the unique take on the genre. Im more a Marvel fan than a DC fan, but i do think Man of Steel is much better than Avengers Initiative.

Best thing is that this has more meat than most of the IB-clones out there right now.
Great review. Sold me!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

insta buy!!!

Totally no brainer, it seems that Warner Bros is producing always more better games, nice surprise for today!