★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Better to release at .99c then drop to free?

06-13-2013, 03:43 PM
#1
Better to release at .99c then drop to free?

We're getting close to launch and we're pretty much set on the freemium model but after seeing the potential of releasing at .99c then dropping to free, picking up all of the aggregator sites that look for this, this may be a better idea.

Any thoughts?
06-13-2013, 04:15 PM
#2
If you don't mind stealing your early adopters then sure, go ahead. Does wonder to a reputation but you may get picked up by aggregators.

Dungeon Plunder: an iOS Roguelike - Play for free now! Follow the updates on Twitter and on Facebook.
TA Forum Thread? Right here. Soundtrack is on iTunes

06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead View Post
We're getting close to launch and we're pretty much set on the freemium model but after seeing the potential of releasing at .99c then dropping to free, picking up all of the aggregator sites that look for this, this may be a better idea.

Any thoughts?
don't have any words for this.

Game Center: sink_or_swim
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink_or_swim View Post
don't have any words for this.
Why are you posting then? If you think its a terrible idea, why not say it? You're contributing nothing
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sink_or_swim View Post
don't have any words for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonPlunder View Post
If you don't mind stealing your early adopters then sure, go ahead. Does wonder to a reputation but you may get picked up by aggregators.
How is this any different than other companies doing the same thing? Do you think less of them for going free?
06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead View Post
How is this any different than other companies doing the same thing? Do you think less of them for going free?
I sure do. It's ripping off the players to release with a price when the app is intended to be freemium or adjusting a paid app to be freemium post-release. No question about it

There's also a whole world of difference between having temporary sales or setting a lower price/having it free without changing the game a long time after release when the game sales are dead and what you're proposing. Don't take my words for it - have a look on threads when that kind of crap is done and see how players are thrilled about it.

It's up to you though. Sure it's a shrewd short term money move if that's what you want to hear. On the other hand if your app is any good it'll get picked up by review sites, Apple may feature it in new and noteworthy and players will share their experience with their peers without having to resort to that. And you'll end up doing great with a clean slate for your next game's release.

Dungeon Plunder: an iOS Roguelike - Play for free now! Follow the updates on Twitter and on Facebook.
TA Forum Thread? Right here. Soundtrack is on iTunes
06-13-2013, 06:07 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonPlunder View Post
I sure do. It's ripping off the players to release with a price when the app is intended to be freemium or adjusting a paid app to be freemium post-release. No question about it

There's also a whole world of difference between having temporary sales or setting a lower price/having it free without changing the game a long time after release when the game sales are dead and what you're proposing. Don't take my words for it - have a look on threads when that kind of crap is done and see how players are thrilled about it.

It's up to you though. Sure it's a shrewd short term money move if that's what you want to hear. On the other hand if your app is any good it'll get picked up by review sites, Apple may feature it in new and noteworthy and players will share their experience with their peers without having to resort to that. And you'll end up doing great with a clean slate for your next game's release.
A well thought out response. I completely understand where you're coming from.

The problem is there is an enormous risk of simply releasing your freemium game and hoping. There are games that are exceptionally well built and designed, good games that never go anywhere. They get a few thousand downloads in the first week and then stagnate. We've seen it over and over. If you don't have the marketing budget its very difficult to have that break out success. There are the stories of games simply being submitted and going viral, sure, but they are the exception, not the rule.

So you're left with two options, coming off in a negative light but with a significantly higher probability of success or, most likely, no one knowing you or your games exist.

Its not as easy as you make it seem when you're competing with enormous companies and 6 figure marketing budgets.
06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead View Post
We're getting close to launch and we're pretty much set on the freemium model but after seeing the potential of releasing at .99c then dropping to free, picking up all of the aggregator sites that look for this, this may be a better idea.

Any thoughts?
You have to be more specific about what the before and after pricing models will be like. Are there no IAPs before and then you add them when it goes free? Does the game have less non-IAP functionality after it goes freemium? What happens to games that were bought as paid, do they lose functionality when it goes free, and have to pay again for IAPs to get the stuff they used to have?

Independent developer of Alien Space, Alien Space Retro, and now Annihilate

For more information and latest updates, join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlienSpaceGame
06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead View Post
A well thought out response. I completely understand where you're coming from.

The problem is there is an enormous risk of simply releasing your freemium game and hoping. There are games that are exceptionally well built and designed, good games that never go anywhere. They get a few thousand downloads in the first week and then stagnate. We've seen it over and over. If you don't have the marketing budget its very difficult to have that break out success. There are the stories of games simply being submitted and going viral, sure, but they are the exception, not the rule.

So you're left with two options, coming off in a negative light but with a significantly higher probability of success or, most likely, no one knowing you or your games exist.

Its not as easy as you make it seem when you're competing with enormous companies and 6 figure marketing budgets.
Not saying it's easy, I'm a dev as well and know very well it's not a "build it and they will come" market, but you can come off and do just fine even without having a 6 digits marketing budget if you monetize well and promote your game actively while spending your dollar smartly.. as long as your game is any good. Figure out what your game brings on average long term per install and work your marketing around that then reinvest your income and so on. There's no magic recipe, what worked for me might not work for you.

You might also want to have a look at how many of the top 100 grossing games have pulled your launch tactic on their players to see if it's a good idea.

Good luck.

Dungeon Plunder: an iOS Roguelike - Play for free now! Follow the updates on Twitter and on Facebook.
TA Forum Thread? Right here. Soundtrack is on iTunes
06-15-2013, 06:42 PM
#10
Don't do it.