Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Has iOS gaming ruined our perception of "instant gratification"?

I was thinking about it today and I've got to admit that I probably have literally hundreds of iOS games that I never finished (and some I never even have played!).

And I kind of think it's a little sad. With the stream of weekly releases and cheap purchases (I say that but it DOES add up very quickly), it almost has fed into a "gotta have it now" mentality --- particularly those of us who obviously are enthusiastic enough to participate in these boards.

It's just funny that my wife and I try to preach to our children that they should save their money instead of buying something that they'll play with for two days. We say "instant gratification" isn't good....to them. But then I turn around every week and am really feeding into the same thing over and over and over.

And even with all those games I've never finished, it's freaking hard to break the cycle!

Maybe with console gaming, even though there were plenty of games I never finished there as well, there was at least the feeling that I paid $60 for this game and can't just keep spending $60 everytime something comes along. So there was more of a tendency to finish games.

On iOS, it's seems easy to say...hell, it's just a buck or two or even $10. But if you keep doing it, you more than likely are spending as much and maybe even more than you would if you stuck to consoles.

Anyway, it's ashame to think of the games that I never have finished, but dammit, it's too freaking hard to resist "the next best thing" every week.

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
I was thinking about it today and I've got to admit that I probably have literally hundreds of iOS games that I never finished (and some I never even have played!).

And I kind of think it's a little sad. With the stream of weekly releases and cheap purchases (I say that but it DOES add up very quickly), it almost has fed into a "gotta have it now" mentality --- particularly those of us who obviously are enthusiastic enough to participate in these boards.

It's just funny that my wife and I try to preach to our children that they should save their money instead of buying something that they'll play with for two days. We say "instant gratification" isn't good....to them. But then I turn around every week and am really feeding into the same thing over and over and over.

And even with all those games I've never finished, it's freaking hard to break the cycle!

Maybe with console gaming, even though there were plenty of games I never finished there as well, there was at least the feeling that I paid $60 for this game and can't just keep spending $60 everytime something comes along. So there was more of a tendency to finish games.

On iOS, it's seems easy to say...hell, it's just a buck or two or even $10. But if you keep doing it, you more than likely are spending as much and maybe even more than you would if you stuck to consoles.

Anyway, it's ashame to think of the games that I never have finished, but dammit, it's too freaking hard to resist "the next best thing" every week.

Anyone else feel the same?
I sadly agree. I was thinking about it this week too. The constant weekly releases take away from the level of commitment I'm willing to give games. I want to change this up as it's a crappy habit
Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

after i got a full time job, i've no time or vigour to play games as much as good old days.
i'd almost stop buying any game no matter what platform.
so basically and actually I am not feel the same.
btw,as a non english speaker, a part of my limited vocabulary is some kind of connected to games.
vigour-bioshock good old days-mass effect
Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. I think the best way for a developer to have to success on the App Store is to make a familiar game.

I think that's why we see certain genres of games repeated so frequently. A good match 3, hill climber, platformer, or runner is going to have a built in fan base. People like us will pay the dollar or two and instantly be good at (and happy with) the game.

A game that breaks away from the formula and does something that requires a "learning curve" (like a complicated board game) isn't going to sell very well. With the amount of inexpensive games available, it's too easy to give up and move on to the next game.

So yeah, we're kind of spoiled . I'm guilty of having the "here's my dollar(s), give me something fun" attitude towards iOS games.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98

I think it has for me. The amount of games I've downloaded is nearing the thousands, but honestly I probably only played 5% of them.

Granted, I've caught most of them on sales since I'm always broke. But when I get my first job and actually have money, I doubt it'll be any different.

But when I do have money, I tend to buy a console game I've had my eye on for a while, because though I spend more time on my phone playing games than I do on my PS3, I'm a console gamer at heart.

And even when I download a game and keep it on my phone I just leave it there for months and months because I'm playing some other game.

A good example would be Epoch. I've had that game on my phone since the end of last year, and I've played it for the first time last week! And there are STILL games I've yet to play on my phone.

I think the App Store is set up the way it is for a reason. You can always go back and play something for the first time in a long time, or maybe the first time even the first time ever. But the reason for it is time. With our busy lives, we only have so much time in the day to dedicate to playing games, iOS or otherwise.

There is such a HUGE selection of great games on iOS, and we feel like we need them all because they each have something great to offer that you just want to get into. So I suppose for hardcore iOS gamers it's only natural to feel that way about gratifying themselves. Ask any longtime member of TouchArcade how many games they've downloaded. Then ask then how many they've actually played.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by m44 View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. I think the best way for a developer to have to success on the App Store is to make a familiar game.

I think that's why we see certain genres of games repeated so frequently. A good match 3, hill climber, platformer, or runner is going to have a built in fan base. People like us will pay the dollar or two and instantly be good at (and happy with) the game.

A game that breaks away from the formula and does something that requires a "learning curve" (like a complicated board game) isn't going to sell very well. With the amount of inexpensive games available, it's too easy to give up and move on to the next game.

So yeah, we're kind of spoiled . I'm guilty of having the "here's my dollar(s), give me something fun" attitude towards iOS games.
Agreed with everything stated, which is why I now spend probably about 75% of my itunes money on music apps. They cost more, but their is no "winning" or "grinding", and the best ones will stay relevant for years, at the least.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
They cost more, but their is no "winning" or "grinding", and the best ones will stay relevant for years, at the least.
That's a large part of why iOS board, card, and pinball games tend to be better investments than "endless runners" and the like.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98

I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'd definitely like others' thoughts on this.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjr98 View Post
I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'd definitely like others' thoughts on this.
Me too

In particular I'm interested to see if the subjects of "instant gratification" and "lack of commitment" are additional contributing factors towards contemporary game's financial models.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Not sure if this is on topic or not but sometimes I feel silly or stupid for buying and playing all of these mobile games too. I dont know how to explain it but I think to myself sometimes what the heck am I doing... Especially after say staying up late to download some new ones or something you know at the usual Wednesday night times. But then their is times when a awesome one comes out and I feel like this is why I do what I do.

Most recently it was Gangstar Vegas that made me feel like it was worth it. Sometimes when I am going through my games to pick one to play I feel like eh this is kind of silly. Anyone else feel like this? Also money comes into play when I am buying and redeeming itunes cards or whatever. Seems like I spend a decent amount on this stuff, sorry if this is off topic but I was just thinking about all of this and it seems like similar situations.