Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Rift Warrior (by Like Zhang) [Universal]

This time, I swear I am going to wait for impressions.

Last edited by Vovin; 06-15-2013 at 02:53 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post

This time, I swear I am going to wait for impressions.
Hahaha! I've got really good games this week and the last that i'll wait with you on the sidelines too.

Quadropus and Minion Rush are keeping me busy, and im still playing Man of Steel as I really think it's a worthy game to play, despite the rushed nature of the game.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 AM
iPhone 4

I like the graphics. Well, maybe. No one with impressions?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyra View Post
I like the graphics. Well, maybe. No one with impressions?

Darling, have you just taken the plunge?

But Tower Defense with some Duablo-style mashing and RPG elements is interesting.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Downloading, will report back.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Early first impressions after 3 levels - meh; there is a rigid path your character must stay on and he can only ever walk along that one line auto-attacking (basically as a tower with limited mobility). This basically neuters any hack 'n slash notion. You build traditional tower defense buildings in the areas surrounding your character (if out of your character's reach then nothing can be built). Despite some hints to the contrary so far Rift Warrior feels like just another traditional tower sefense game so far.

The gameplay isn't bad for a traditional tower defense game. Enemy variety is interesting with some having ranged attack with a greater radius than you can attack so you have to chase them. Only being able to build around your hero character adds a frantic challenge forcing you to be offensive to gain ground for stationary tower placement. Apparently the mobile character gets more experience if he is closer to the enemy source. I died several times on the second level so challenge is very nice. In part I tried just fending off enemies with only the "controllable" character's auto-attack but found out tower deployment and upgrade is essential to survival/victory. Also you can repair towers mid-game with in-game gold. Gold accrual seems balanced. I really like the pacing and challenge of the tower defense dynamics in Rift Warrior.

There are elements that seem unpolished; text seems generic, non-Retina graphics, limited auto-save doesn't retain mid-game progress when multi-tasking out. There are occassional pop-up advertisements after levels (but these are not obtrusive to gameplay). After levels you acquire gems by a slot machine system (however I can not find any use for gems in the game). When you select a tower the bottom left hand corner option is a picture of a gem, tapping that brings up a series of 4 blank partchments with no apparent use.

Rift Warrior is totally worth $0.99 for tower defense fans despite some unpolished aspects but it's not as revolutionary as it sounded and might not entrance action RPG fans. I will report more if that changes.

Last edited by undeadcow; 06-15-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Early first impressions after 3 levels - meh; there is a rigid path your character must stay on and he can only ever walk along that one line auto-attacking (basically as a tower with limited mobility). This basically neuters any hack 'n slash notion. You build traditional tower defense buildings in the areas surrounding your character (if out of your character's reach then nothing can be built). Despite some hints to the contrary so far Rift Warrior feels like just another traditional tower sefense game so far.

The gameplay isn't bad for a traditional tower defense game. Enemy variety is interesting with some having ranged attack with a greater radius than you can attack so you have to chase them. Only being able to build around your hero character adds a frantic challenge forcing you to be offensive to gain ground for stationary tower placement. Apparently the mobile character gets more experience if he is closer to the enemy source. I died several times on the second level so challenge is very nice. In part I tried just fending off enemies with only the "controllable" character's auto-attack but found out tower deployment and upgrade is essential to survival/victory. Also you can repair towers mid-game with in-game gold. Gold accrual seems balanced. I really like the pacing and challenge of the tower defense dynamics in Rift Warrior.

There are elements that seem unpolished; text seems generic, non-Retina graphics, limited auto-save doesn't retain mid-game progress when multi-tasking out. There are occassional pop-up advertisements after levels (but these are not obtrusive to gameplay). After levels you acquire gems by a slot machine system (however I can not find any use for gems in the game). When you select a tower the bottom left hand corner option is a picture of a gem, tapping that brings up a series of 4 blank partchments with no apparent use.

Rift Warrior is totally worth $0.99 for tower defense fans despite some unpolished aspects but it's not as revolutionary as it sounded and might not entrance action RPG fans. I will report more if that changes.

Thanks for TOFFTing and for the info! I'll have another thought but as soon, as a TD itch approaches, I'll smash that buy button thing.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

Honestly, I love TD games that have heroes featured and even lets you level them up and get them massively powerful!

This game, however, doesn't really allow you to do that. It has a number of bugs, such as if you gain a level (which increases your attack and hp) and you die in that stage, you lose the increase in HP (possibly the attack as well but I can't tell) and basically makes it impossible to level up your character enough to even pass stage 2. Another bug I noticed is if after you gain a level you get 2 skill points, but if you die during that stage, you gain another 2 skill points for the same level once.

I deleted it after dying in the second stage 5 times, didn't really play with the towers because I was hoping for something different and fun... if you do get the TD itch, MAYBE this game is good for you, but with so many great ones out there and more on the way I'm not sure you really want to spend the cash on this one.

One day, Solomon Dark will be released... one day. And the world will be good again. :P

Last edited by Stayfitla; 06-15-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Thanks for your comment.

The intention of this game is to mix Tower defense with some ARPG aspects. In fact, I was intending to add some elements from Dota, so users won't just place towers but also be able to manipulate the player. It's kind of difficult though after I realized it's hard to keep the control simple on a mobile device.

I do have ideas like performing different skills (as in Diablo) or using Magic. However, the more elements I added to the game, the more confusing it might be for users. So eventually I keep the game sticking to TD style with a controllable player.

All your opinions are welcome, regardless negatives or positives! The next version is already submitted to App Store and expected to release in the next weekend. The major change for the next version is reducing difficulty in the first several stages so users won't get too frustrated, and bug fix for In App Purchase, as well as some minor changes to enhance player/buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post

Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Free now