★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Text-based Zombie Games

06-16-2013, 02:04 PM
#1
Text-based Zombie Games

I really enjoyed ZDay and Escape from the Dead, both text-based zombie apocalypse games where you can arm yourself with weapons and items and your decisions influence future outcomes. They also share the same gritty comic graphic style which works really well. Only problem is they are both short games and end far too quickly. Do you have any recommendations on similar games? Thanks in advance.
06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
#2
Have you tried the sequel to zday? It's pretty boss. Also for the PC I know of a zombie survival roguelike that's ASCII if youre interested. It's found on zooptek. I forget if its .org or .net but it kept me busy for days trying to survive the last event.

06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XvEsunavX View Post
Have you tried the sequel to zday? It's pretty boss. Also for the PC I know of a zombie survival roguelike that's ASCII if youre interested. It's found on zooptek. I forget if its .org or .net but it kept me busy for days trying to survive the last event.
Yup I did but found the location based config sent me in a loop and I got nowhere. I should go back and check it out again. Maybe they've updated it since.

Thanks! I'll go check out zooptek.
06-16-2013, 02:59 PM
#4
It's not completely text based (minigames too), but have you played Organ Trail?
06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
It's not completely text based (minigames too), but have you played Organ Trail?
Agreed. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't played that game.
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
#6
Have not tried it as I wasn't too excited about the graphics but will definitely take a second look.
06-17-2013, 12:44 AM
#7
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Posts: 2,542
To repeat a recommendation I wrote a while back, you should take a look at Zombie Exodus, which is a well-written, quite lengthy Choice gamebook that currently spans four chapters with a final fifth chapter on the way. It has a lot of depth and replayability: there are RPG elements in terms of character development and background (events in the game can play out differently depending on your profession pre-zombie apocalypse, for example), quite a lot of exclusive either/or scenarios and actions within those scenarios, and numerous decisions you can make that will come back to haunt/reward you much later.

Overall, it feels a lot like The Walking Dead does when that series focuses more on the day-to-day survival choices and relationships of real people living in that situation, and less on unnecessarily padded-out soap opera.
06-17-2013, 01:16 AM
#8
Choice of Zombies

Choice of Zombies is a gamebook app that's so similar to Zombie Exodus that I thought they might be the same story. In actuality, they are different stories, though they play pretty much the same as gamebooks. If you like either one, you'll probably like the other.
06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
#9
I grabbed Zombie Exodus and finished the first 2 chapters and bought the third. Very immersive but I had to stop to eat. Will definitely get Choice of Zombies too when I'm done. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephala View Post
I grabbed Zombie Exodus and finished the first 2 chapters and bought the third. Very immersive but I had to stop to eat. Will definitely get Choice of Zombies too when I'm done. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I played Choice of Zombies and it was one of the better Choice of games...