★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: How do you take down an army of malicious robots? By turning them into scrap, taking their weapons, and leaping right into the next fight, of course!

Asterogue is an action-roguelike featuring intense real-time combat, intuitive gesture controls, and an infinite supply of new levels and weapons to encounter. Take on its tense campaign mode or relax for five minutes in Quick Play. The action never stops when you're playing Asterogue.

WARNING: Due to memory constraints, Asterogue is not supported on iPhone 3GS and older, iPod Touch 4th generation and older, and iPad 1.

Features:
Gesture-based combat system allows for intense action on the go
Over 8 million distinct weapon Modules to discover
Procedurally-generated levels and enemies allow for endless play
3 diverse worlds to explore
Push-your-luck campaign mode: fight on for better equipment, or return home to stash your existing loot?
Share your favorite Modules on Facebook and Twitter
Quick Play mode for when you only have a few minutes to play
No ads, IAP, or hidden fees! It's all free!

About Real Human Games
Real Human Games is a team of 19 passionate coders, designers, artists, and musicians from the University of California, Santa Cruz. Driven by our desire to prove that deep, cohesive game design can flourish on mobile platforms, we banded together to build Asterogue over the last seven months of our university careers.
06-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Interesting

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

06-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Interesting

*BANG*

(= sound of the purchase button being hit)

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
06-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
*BANG*

(= sound of the purchase button being hit)
If a purchase button is smashed when it's free, does it make a sound?

Fun game, obviously a work in progress. 4 worlds are shown with one available. Still, I'm eager to see where this goes. Hopefully not filled with ads and iaps.
06-22-2013, 02:10 AM
A very cool idea, I'll hope it cones out in actual game form, not an IAP-driven spendfest. I'm optimistic.
06-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Wow no iAPs in sight...well got to give this one a go..

"A whim, a thought, and more is sought. Awake my mind; thy will be wrought!"
06-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
If a purchase button is smashed when it's free, does it make a sound?

Fun game, obviously a work in progress. 4 worlds are shown with one available. Still, I'm eager to see where this goes. Hopefully not filled with ads and iaps.
Hi Greyskull! Thanks so much for giving Asterogue a download, we really appreciate it!

I am project lead on Asterogue, and I'm just hopping in real quick to point out that all 4 worlds (3 campaign worlds and the Quick Play mode) are in game right now, you just have to play through the campaign to unlock them.

Oh, and you won't find any ads or IAP. It's all free!

Last edited by Jonagill; 06-22-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Typo.
06-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Welcome to TA, Jonathan.

May I ask why you guys chose to release...well, all of this....for free?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
06-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I love reading TA, but I've never had the impetus to register until now.

To answer your question, Real Human Games is a student team from UC Santa Cruz working to make the best game we can to show off our talents — you might notice the little "educational use only" watermark that comes courtesy of our educational Unity license. As such, making money was less of a concern than getting as many people as possible playing our game.

We tend not to lead with the student game angle since it suggests that Asterogue might not be as polished or weighty as a commercial game, when in fact it was designed specifically to bring a polished, complex, hardcore experience to mobile!

Last edited by Jonagill; 06-22-2013 at 05:55 AM.
06-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonagill View Post
Hi Greyskull! Thanks so much for giving Asterogue a download, we really appreciate it!

I am project lead on Asterogue, and I'm just hopping in real quick to point out that all 4 worlds (3 campaign worlds and the Quick Play mode) are in game right now, you just have to play through the campaign to unlock them.

Oh, and you won't find any ads or IAP. It's all free!
Oohh. You might want to put "padlock" style graphics on them then; I thought they hadn't made it into the game yet. I'm sure I'll have questions, but I'm having a great time right now! I tried starting the thread through the TA ipad app, but it hadn't shown up yet. Had to manually copypasta the link from the itunes store. It's amazing what you find browsing the store at unconscionable hours