Support our Sponsors:

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM

Default Future of mobile games?

What do you think there is the future of mobile gaming? Do you think apple game controller standard will change the direction?

You have the flood of social games (I can't stand), and lately card battling social games. You have the temple run clones or remixes. Is this the future of mobile gaming social games and copies of hits?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

To answer both of your questions... No and no.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

On the controller subject..It's too early to tell,though some developers who don't like touch controls or rather have no confidence with them can see this as a window..It could open an opportunity for different kind of games and experiences..

About the second topic,its clearly no..Though those types of games will never go away..You should monitor what's happening right now for the platform..
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I wouldnt worry. I'm looking forward to it. I've had an icade for a couple of years and love it, the thought of more games working with an external gamepad is great. Get an apple tv, one gamepad and you have a great setup.

There'll still be crappy farmville type games, my little pony games or runners/angry bird clones forever. Future games wont be 'controller only' games i'm sure. Think if anything we'll get more and more games than we do now
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister View Post
On the controller subject..It's too early to tell,though some developers who don't like touch controls or rather have no confidence with them can see this as a window..It could open an opportunity for different kind of games and experiences..

About the second topic,its clearly no..Though those types of games will never go away..You should monitor what's happening right now for the platform..
This.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister View Post
On the controller subject..It's too early to tell,though some developers who don't like touch controls or rather have no confidence with them can see this as a window..It could open an opportunity for different kind of games and experiences...
Apple's big thing with their mobile devices is that they are self-contained and revolve around the intuitive touch experience. To that end, I think you'll find them rejecting games that even recommend using a third-party controller over plain touch, and developers are not actually allowed to require a controller at all. I don't foresee a huge shift coming in the way games are played, to be honest.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Apple's big thing with their mobile devices is that they are self-contained and revolve around the intuitive touch experience. To that end, I think you'll find them rejecting games that even recommend using a third-party controller over plain touch, and developers are not actually allowed to require a controller at all. I don't foresee a huge shift coming in the way games are played, to be honest.

Well you never really know..Why did they make the move for certified controllers and a means to support them??Things change and innovations happen..Maybe this is part of tim cook's plan..
Old 06-25-2013, 03:36 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I really hate change to be quite honest, but there's nothing we can do when one happens.

How the appstore evolved over the past years has been good and bad, the bad mostly on how rampant IAP abuse is now (from paywalls to multiplayer-pay-to-wins to just plain greedy), and the good mostly on how we get closer to a more constant stream of AA and AAA games and ports.

I imagine these changes will still evolve into the future, and we can only hope for what is more favorable, but the possibility of bad things happening is just around the corner.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I really hate change to be quite honest, but there's nothing we can do when one happens.
Change is good. If Apple became stale then it would lose its foothold for innovation. They didnt become one of the biggest companies ever by not changing.

If anything they need more change as last year people were expecting more and they didnt really live up to their high expectations. I'm hoping to hear about more powerful devices in Sept/Oct, bigger storage is needed for sure.

Android is a huge rival at the moment, if Apple didnt change and lost lots of potential people who bought Android devices instead then its bad for all of us as eventually there'll be less and less games as devs create Android games instead.

I dont think when they first came out with iOS devices they realised how popular they would be for gamers. Its HUGE and lets hope it gets better and better.

i've been gaming for 30 years and i've never known a device so popular, games coming out weekly (or daily), its amazing.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Change is good. If Apple became stale then it would lose its foothold for innovation. They didnt become one of the biggest companies ever by not changing.
I don't think so. Apple (especially the iOS department) is one of the most predictable companies ever. You know (almost) exactly what device and when to expect it and for what price. The iOS didn't change that much since its release. All Apple keeps doing is adding features to it, making it better. Apple does not adapt to the market, the market adapts to Apple.

That's exactly what makes Apple such a reliable company.