★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looking for some RPGs to play

06-26-2013, 04:43 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,082
Looking for some RPGs to play

I'm looking for non-turn-based RPGs that are not JRPGs... Basically similar games to 9th dawn.

Any ideas?
06-26-2013, 05:07 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 20,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
I'm looking for non-turn-based RPGs that are not JRPGs... Basically similar games to 9th dawn.

Any ideas?
Tried Quadropus Rampage?

Ravensword 2, KOTOR, Spiral Ep1, Horn, Bard's Tale, Bit Dungeon, Solomon's Keep, ORC Vengeance... Not quite the 9th Dawn type of game, but are great realtime RPGs i could think of right now.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

06-26-2013, 05:11 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,439
The closest thing to 9th Dawn is probably Pocket RPG, both have dual stick style controls.

Otherwise there are plenty of action RPGs. In addition to Exact-Pscience's worthy recommendations here are some more: CrimsonHeart, Stone of Life [Free], Master of Dungeon, Aurumn Blade [Free], Dragon Knight IV [Free edition or premium], Quadropus Rampage [Free]. These free ones are balanced freemium.
06-26-2013, 05:21 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 20,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
The closest thing to 9th Dawn is probably Pocket RPG, both have dual stick style controls.

Otherwise there are plenty of action RPGs. In addition to Exact-Pscience's worthy recommendations here are some more: CrimsonHeart, Stone of Life [Free], Master of Dungeon, Aurumn Blade [Free], Dragon Knight IV [Free edition or premium], Quadropus Rampage [Free]. These free ones are balanced freemium.
Aw... i skipped suggesting KRPGs, coz i thought i read KRPGs instead of JRPGs in Primoz's original post.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
06-26-2013, 05:25 PM
#5
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,082
Not really helpful so far, thanks anyway though.

I should also mention that the game should have an open world and it should not be in the style of "God of War - action style".
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Aw... i skipped suggesting KRPGs, coz i thought i read KRPGs instead of JRPGs in Primoz's original post.
Thats like the same thing to me... I'm not fond of those asian RPGs. Don't really like the art style and even less the generic stories. Your suggestions have been good, but I already know of those games, and they're not really what I'm looking for...
06-26-2013, 05:39 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
I know it was already suggested but I think Bard's tale is really the closest thing to meeting your requirements that I can think of.
06-26-2013, 05:43 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Vienna
Posts: 80
Did you try wazhack? Could be something for you...it's kind of a side scrolling, looting, rogue like rpg game. I like it, a few characters are free, and you can play free to a certain level. If you like it you can pay to unlock the whole game.
06-26-2013, 05:51 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
Not really helpful so far, thanks anyway though.

I should also mention that the game should have an open world and it should not be in the style of "God of War - action style".
I agree iOS needs more open world traditional RPGs; 9th Dawn is revolutionary for iOS in that aspect.

It's likely you are familiar with many iOS roguelikes and those might be the closest comparison but probably not what you're looking for.

Also, it's first person perspective but it doesn't get much more open world than The Quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I know it was already suggested but I think Bard's tale is really the closest thing to meeting your requirements that I can think of.
Bard's Tale is a good suggestion.
06-26-2013, 06:16 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Also, it's first person perspective but it doesn't get much more open world than The Quest.Bard's Tale is a good suggestion.
It's not because of the first person, it's because it's turn based.
Bards tale is a great game, but I already finished it.

So there is seriously no alternative to 9th Dawn? The controls don't have to be dual stick, it could be anything, as long as the game is not an Asian RPG and it's not turn based. Price and art style doesn't matter...