Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default Piracy problems

As I wrote before, it's a shame. Piracy on iOS is becoming more popular than ever. Games like Towel Fight 2, Spiral, Kyubo and even Scurvy Scallywags and Miseria - as I assume - have massive price drops or go free just a few days after release.
Those pirates are too dumb to understand that they destroy their iOS gaming hobby by themselves. And Apple sits on the couch, leaned back, relaxing and eating popcorn, then shrugs and mumbles: "our system is safe. It's the ability to jailbreak that causes the piracy trouble. Not our responsibility."
Why did the Lord made a big group of gamers so dumb...?

*sigh* Well, just don't care. I was just ranting.

Last edited by Vovin; 06-27-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

It's a shame. But piracy on the android platform is even worse for app devs. They run a mile from that system.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM
iPhone 3GS

Piracy will always be an issue when it comes to digital purchases and content. Music, books (to a lesser extent), pc games, and yes, even mobile games. I'll admit that when I was younger I used to do this but now that I have a decent paying job and great and seamless services like Steam I'll gladly pay for anything worth the cost to me.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'm stunned theres piracy, with prices so cheap you would think the pirates would think 'nah not worth it'.

You say "Those pirates are too dumb to understand that they destroy their iOS gaming hobby by themselves. ". But i think many users who are 'cheap' are also doing that, devs dont make enough money (as people wait for a 99c game to go free !) so we'll get less and less games from indies especially.

Pirates/cheapskates are the ones ruining iOS. They have an expensive gadget yet start crying the second a game turns up and its $5 !
Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM

We had this conversation in the Spiral thread but I'm still not aware of the piracy.
I just got an iPhone 5(my first iPhone)so I may not know.But think from the looks it looks bad!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

What about the pirates who purchase the apps legitimately, then crack them/upload them to hosting sites for others to share. Why do they bother with that? Makes no sense to me.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Deewin said it quite well.Piracy will indeed always be an issue, even more on gaming dedicated platforms where companies depend on much higher priced games to bring them revenue.
There are 2 kind of pirates, youngsters who do that only because they got "expensive, cool and trendy " devices from parents and don't have enough income to balance buying games and social activities with friends/girlfriend/boyfriend, also they don't have acces to credit cards.
Other group are doucebags who do it just for fun, they usually have more than enough money to buy everything they pirate, but they either think it's not worth their money with pricetag they ask ( but still download and play it for free and usually never pay even a dime for it even if they like it ).They don't think it's a big issue or that they are breaking the law and actually they're doing something that is equall to stealing money in real life.
Being anonymous in Internet crowd and stealing stuff in a huge Internet space doesn't diminish morality of stealing someone's paycheck, but pirates never cared and never will, until most of them grow up and realize the real value of money and how much labour is put behind it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I was reading about piracy on a blog, and the dev said he had 200 legitamate sales of his app, the other 35,000! Was pirated downloads. This is on android btw. That OS is a mess for piracy!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Okay so it seems you have a personal vendetta, and this isn't just isolated to that Miseria thread.

Could you provide links, please? I understand pirates are everywhere and I despise piracy so much as well, but I still don't see concrete evidence that suggests the kinds of games you're naming are failing because of piracy. As I said in the Miseria thread, hidden gems on the App Store always have a tough time.

You make an app and it disappears from New and Noteworthy, or it ends up number 10 on the Top App of the Week list? Okay. Well you will be successful, but not as successful as the heavyweights that live on the Top 10 list.

But the games you named I don't think ever appear on those kinds of lists. Touch Arcade might give them exposure, but Touch Arcade makes up such a tiny amount of the massive iOS market.

And these games are considered "hidden gems" for a reason. On the App Store, if you are not given exposure when you first come out, you might as well give up. The most amazingly-received iOS games are ones that come out of nowhere and start a snowball effect like crazy. The games you mentioned were just not that way.

I've never heard of games climbing slowly up a list to the top, but I'm sure it has happened. But that's probably less than 1% of the entire catalog of failed gems.

I also fail to see how the rise of freemium games would attract more pirates than before. The games are free initially so there's no point initially to pirate it in the first place. I guess it's possible to crack the IAPs, but I honestly don't think it's as easy or as popular as you are thinking.

So to reiterate, because I know you don't like reading my long, contradictory, or whiny posts: blame the audience of the App Store for these games failing to find success, not the pirates.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Okay so it seems you have a personal vendetta, and this isn't just isolated to that Miseria thread.

Could you provide links, please? I understand pirates are everywhere and I despise piracy so much as well, but I still don't see concrete evidence that suggests the kinds of games you're naming are failing because of piracy. As I said in the Miseria thread, hidden gems on the App Store always have a tough time.

You make an app and it disappears from New and Noteworthy, or it ends up number 10 on the Top App of the Week list? Okay. Well you will be successful, but not as successful as the heavyweights that live on the Top 10 list.

But the games you named I don't think ever appear on those kinds of lists. Touch Arcade might give them exposure, but Touch Arcade makes up such a tiny amount of the massive iOS market.

And these games are considered "hidden gems" for a reason. On the App Store, if you are not given exposure when you first come out, you might as well give up. The most amazingly-received iOS games are ones that come out of nowhere and start a snowball effect like crazy. The games you mentioned were just not that way.

I've never heard of games climbing slowly up a list to the top, but I'm sure it has happened. But that's probably less than 1% of the entire catalog of failed gems.

I also fail to see how the rise of freemium games would attract more pirates than before. The games are free initially so there's no point initially to pirate it in the first place. I guess it's possible to crack the IAPs, but I honestly don't think it's as easy or as popular as you are thinking.

So to reiterate, because I know you don't like reading my long, contradictory, or whiny posts: blame the audience of the App Store for these games failing to find success, not the pirates.

You are completely ignoring the fact that all these downloaders have learned about the game. Like one app, that had 9.800 sales but 59.000 illegal downloads. These people could have bought it instead, for the price of one dollar. An amount that we normally spend and don't even think about it. There is a difference between $9.800 and $68.800. Sorry, but there is no excuse for piracy.

Last edited by Vovin; 06-27-2013 at 03:38 PM..