Support our Sponsors:

Old 07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Why No iOS "Bundle" Deals?

I've been getting back into computer gaming and am amazed by all the "bundle" deals that pop up. Basically various sites put together packages of redeem codes for games on (even across marketplaces) and sell it for one low price. I find it curious that iOS developers do not join in one these festivities. It would offer some profit versus making games totally free (as frequently happens on iOS) and might bring attention to an overlooked game. Initially I suspected it would be hard to generate access through App Store but we've now seen sites like Starbucks, Facebook, or IGN generate largescale quantities of endless redeem codes so potentially the same could be done with cost attached. Maybe this is just me amusing myself with advances in game distribution but it seems like there's a lot of marketing possibilities on iOS that are curiously overlooked. The only iOS example that I recall seeing was multiple games packaged together in one actual app (but I can't find the link).

Here is a link with examples of Bundle deals, some even include Android codes: http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wik...me_Bundle_Wiki
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I wondered about this myself, having taken advantage of several Humble Bundle deals for Android. Seems like a great idea since they can benefit charity (at least the HB one does) and you get some great games or a good price (like Frozen Synapse was a bundle before it was even officially released on Android).

I think some of it has to do with the open nature of PC and Android in that you can download a game from any source. So the devs can provide the apps/games to the organizations providing the bundles and you download and update games directly from them.

That's not possible with the closed App Store (well it is, but not in the legal sense). Promo codes can only get you so far. These groups sell unlimited amounts for a certain period of time. There would have to be some way that Apple worked things out to do stuff like this.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Would definitely love to see Humble Bundle have an iOS bundle one day. As far as from what I understand, it shouldn't be too hard. It would be similar to a developer handing out promo codes for their app, though with a price.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
...That's not possible with the closed App Store (well it is, but not in the legal sense). Promo codes can only get you so far. These groups sell unlimited amounts for a certain period of time. There would have to be some way that Apple worked things out to do stuff like this.
That's a good point. One hypothetical obstacle that stands out might be some limitations set by Apple. If developers are issuing promo codes directly to consumers there's a chance Apple would see that as competative against them. I don't understand all the inner workings of App Store so that might now be the case. However, if Apple allows widespread "free" promo code distribution then they might not object to profitable but reduced cost codes or even charity events. I guess it depends on how much freedom or behind the scenes discounts Apple supports in allowing developers to circumvent their marketplace to set their own prices.

Last edited by undeadcow; 07-01-2013 at 03:42 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

I believe HumbleBundle tried to do so with Apple some time ago and ran into a brick wall.

There's no way for developers to generate more codes as one can with Steam/Desura or sideload the app software like you could on an android device. Apple's gotta have their cut, and noone can afford the cost/time to gift their app to everybody.

Some times it surprises me that Steam & Desura allow for this - if you think of it, I end up paying a 3rd party for a key which then uses their resources to download and run software.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

As a developer I'd love to be able to do some bundles. I plan on doing my own bundles for some desktop platforms but Apple simply don't offer us a feasible way of doing this. With each app and each successive update we only get 50 promo codes which we means we could never do any high volume bundle. You can't even buy an app and gift it as the app becomes linked to the account that bought it.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I believe HumbleBundle tried to do so with Apple some time ago and ran into a brick wall.

There's no way for developers to generate more codes as one can with Steam/Desura or sideload the app software like you could on an android device. Apple's gotta have their cut, and noone can afford the cost/time to gift their app to everybody.

Some times it surprises me that Steam & Desura allow for this - if you think of it, I end up paying a 3rd party for a key which then uses their resources to download and run software.
Well, it could serve as an entry point into their platform. I have bought almost all of the bundles since I first saw it. A
Humble iOS bundle would sound really appealing.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I wonder how websites like Starbucks or IGN are able to generate massive quantities of promo codes; I doubt they are paying full price for them behind the scenes.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Are these places generating large amounts of promo codes? What sort of evidence do you have for that?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalFortress View Post
Are these places generating large amounts of promo codes? What sort of evidence do you have for that?
The promo code generation is inactive now since the deals are expired but here are TA reference links of third parties (non-Apple) unleashing seemingly endless supplies of promo codes free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN Horn Giveaway, click link to iTunes pop up with redeem code
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=184441

"Go over to [edited address since dead] and get a free code!"
/\ Horn retails for a premium price so IGN paying retail for each code seems unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks' Star Wars Angry Birds Giveaway, similar to IGN above
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=184778

"...I opened the link in the OP and took me directly to the App Store with a "Thanks for redeeming your code, your app is now downloading." message."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's My Water Disney Promo Code Giveaway
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=171748

"1. Click on signup
2. Enter ANY email (can be anything = bigs@ilovemytoucharcade.com) and password
3. Instant code page will be displayed"
/\ Maybe Disney is just purchasing redeem codes at the loss of paying out Apple $0.30 (or Apple's fee) for each redeem since they have an affiliation with WMW (?).

I don't see why another third party couldn't set up a similar system and charge a reduced fee to dispense links for a number of codes (i.e. Humble Bundle style). PC bundles generate similar seemingly endless codes for the likes of GOG, Steam, Desura, etc to mix games into a bundle so with this style of App Store code generation, as seen above, it could work... in theory.

Last edited by undeadcow; 07-01-2013 at 05:06 PM..