Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Please Tell Me Why/If My Game Sucks

Hello all,

I am not trying to get sales or anything like that by posting here. I am just very curious to know from as many people as possible why or if my game just basically sucks, and if that's why I'm getting almost no sales.

I spent about $17000 getting it developed over about 8 months and have poured everything I have into it. Late nights with the developer and endless testing. I had my sights set high.

The Game:

The game is called Just4Kicks HD and it is available in the app store and android market.
You control a guy an do freestyle soccer tricks to gain points. It has a few different modes.

Please view this video: I would love your honest feed back.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

If you can suggest anything for the game I would really appreciate that.

I have marketed the crap out of it as well with Facebook ads, YouTube ads etc...
I even tried to get a competition going for $1000. All people had to do was buy the game, review it and like my Just4Kicks Facebook page. I got 1 sale from that and had to cancel the comp.

Thanks for your time.
Damian True
CBI Games

Last edited by Red1; 07-10-2013 at 04:35 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I'll be as honest as possible.

I hate how the game looks. It's amateurish and outdated. I won't be able to enjoy playing a game that looks like that.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just watched the video. The graphics are fine and very polished. Don't agree with the comments above. The graphics look very 'wii' like which I think is your kind of target market for this game

As for sales I'm not sure what the issue is. It seems to be basically a 'rhythm game' doesn't it with a bit of freestyle action thrown in

Not my cup if tea but its not the worst I've seen at all
Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Yeah, I'm with psj...it's not my cup of tea either, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. The graphics are fine, the animations for some of the more complex tricks are quite good actually...it's pretty decent.

I will suggest one thing though. If it's possible, rename the app to "Just 4 Kicks HD". I personally steer clear from anything that has an app title ThatLooksLikeThis, if you know what I mean. If it's an issue of getting "Just 4 Kicks HD" under the app icon on devices, just have "Just 4 Kicks" with an HD logo in the icon or even "J4K HD".
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

I agree. The character animations are pretty good.

First impressions:

- The 5 buttons and multi-directional stick are immediately off-putting. Less intrusive touch controls could have been used, like gesture recognition. Put the focus on the "action" - the character and his tricks, not the controls.

- Your first two AppStore screenshots look alright, emphasizing the game name and modes, but the third screenshot (with the controls) probably does more harm than good.

- Good to offer different modes, but they're all too repetitive for my taste. I guess this type of game would probably never appeal to me... but it would be more appealing if it was level based, with each level needing an increasingly tricky set of moves to be completed.

- Pre-loading of moves doesn't appeal. Would rather the tricks occur as I trigger them. Otherwise the game is all about buttons again. And having the preload info at the top right, also draws attention from the character. The player probably ends up staring backwards and forwards at some buttons and a pre-load text box.

- The pop-up message overlay font looks uninspired.

- The many 5-star reviews on my appstore look a bit sus. (no offense).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I don't think this game is much fun. It might make a great mini game in a soccer game but alone, it's gonna take a lot of perks and shinies to make it more appealing. There are games out there that seem mundane but they work because there's something about them that stands out or that hooks players. For example, why are runners interesting? Normally running in a straight line is boring, so what makes games like Temple Run work? Think about stuff like that.

The animated character does seem a bit dated, and there's some inconsistency in the graphical style. The character looks 3D-ish, the ball looks flat and you have some pasted "from real-life photo" stuff in there in there too. All this just looks thrown together and gives an impression that it's not a well thought-out game. The menu and scoreboard looks good, the buttons don't look so smooth. I think you used too many colors and too many different type of fonts, which also makes it to look disorganized.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 AM

I will give something in my mind at first look on this game after saw vid:
- Bad screenshot on appstore/itune, you should change something about the game like how to play the game, something special in game, difference about other mode than original one, blah blah blah. DON'T WASTE YOUR SCREENSHOT WITH MAIN MENU OR YOUR GAME NAME SCREEN, i checked alot of fun and potential game with very low download/rating count cause some unnecessary screenshot like above.

- Try make clear your description, give them some space in paragraph

- Lacked some effect while doing great score/move, game may look boring while playing.

- Change the A, B, C, D, E button to other more visibility, they look very bad and something like no clue about how reaction when touch on them.

- Should added GC support

- Give something like in-game Tutorial which give more chance they staying on your game more.

- Saw on vid: man, you really need to change hint mode description, a very very long text.

- Give player more options to choice, new balls, new character, new stadium, new clothes, ...

- Don't give up or discouraged about the download, i saw your game is about 3 month year old, still a long way to go , you need to find out how long Temple run from lacked visibility to famous.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

First of all, I'm a game crafter myself but I'm also a gamer before that so from a gamer's perspective:

- If you want to put a tutorial in the game, there's too much text in it. Use images instead
- It gets repetitive pretty quickly as it feels more like a mini-game in a game
- Maybe adding some social aspect would be good (e.g GameCenter support)
- Like what was mentioned above, the graphics doesn't seem to blend in with each other though. I suspect that it might be the background (looks kinda from a photograph)

And from a game crafter's perspective:

- Just4Kicks isn't a great name. On a side note though, if you change it to something like J4K, it becomes an awesome name for a company instead
Maybe like what casket mentioned above, "Just 4 Kicks" might sound better

- The icon of the game might require more focus. It's always better to focus on just 1 single shape in your app icon. Do you want to highlight the soccer ball or the player?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Gamer View Post
I'll be as honest as possible.

I hate how the game looks. It's amateurish and outdated. I won't be able to enjoy playing a game that looks like that.
I have to agree with the above comment. If its not for your post I would not have thought that much effort was put into the game. That being said, are you a gamer yourself? Because to me, everything in the video is a huge turnoff. Personally I wouldn't even bother looking at it even if its free. Just take a look at a few of the top selling app and I think the difference with your game and the rest is obvious.

As a rhythm game, I doubt people would want to play one that is just about juggling the ball. And the background and character is really ugly. Maybe if its 2D, with smooth animations, cute characters like animals or something. Maybe there is a chance. But a game involving football and using some random human character is just not going to make it.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Thank You

Thank you for your comments so far.
They are extremely hard to take but I guess I needed to hear them.

Can you all give me your top 5 games you enjoy playing the most that weren't created on a huge budget please. Just so I know what people are really looking for.

I really want to make a high quality live wallpaper for android similar to Ocean HD but with movement through the ocean so it gives users an ever changing screen on their device. It also would have plenty more fish and creatures. What do you guys think of doing that? Good idea if the quality is very high?

Thanks again
Damian