Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Default Railroads of America

Hello all,

This is my 1st post here, I hope I read all the rules.

I recently launched my second iOS game: Railroads of America. It's available only for iPads with iOS 6.0 or higher

Youtube trailer here:
http://youtu.be/z0HUTVhc2HM

Last edited by rvlgames; 07-18-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM

This caught my eye and I added it to my watch list minutes after release. At 0.99 it would have been an instabuy, even with 0 comments. At 1.99 I'd like to see even a brief gameplay video first. If the gameplay lives up to the promise of the screenshots, I'll definitely be adding it to my collection.

The art style and UI look great - clean, fun and clear - exactly what I want in a puzzle game.

I'm curious - what was the dev's inspiration or goal for this app?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 AM

Hi Sciuridae,

Thank you for your feedback.
As inspiration, I don't know. I just wanted to make a game with trains.. Also I played Warcraft 1 and 2 long time ago and I was in love on that Gold Mine. That's why I added one here as a primary resource.

About the price, I am still a beginner on this 'marketing' issues. I don't know yet how to make it better.. You say a 0.99 will be better?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 AM

1.99 is fine, but folk may be wary of purchasing a game they haven't seen in action. You may wish to put out a free light version containing a small sampler of levels. That way, people can try it out without commitment, and those who enjoy the gameplay and want more of it can buy the full package.

Think of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, back in the day. Limited shareware versions were freely distributed, and those who enjoyed them could then pay full price for the full game.

Pricing at 0.99 can be a risky move, because there is nowhere left to go - the only possible sale price is 0. If you keep the price of the full game at 1.99, that allows you to occasionally have sales at a price of 0.99.

TLDR: It's probably best to keep the price at 1.99, while also offering a free trial version.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 AM

I see. Thank you for sharing this with me. I might be start making a 'Lite' edition pretty soon.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

At 99, it would be an instabuy if I had any kind of interest in it, if the game is less than 100MB. I guess so would most other people, but Sciuridae is right in that it leaves you little room to manoeuvre later on.

You could go with the Angry Birds strategy of adding free level packs every few months to keep the game selling, or you can monetise it by selling IAPs, just like Angry Birds' Mighty Eagle and stuff.

It seems like selling expansion IAP works better for the more expensive games, i.e. $4.99 and above, such as Warhammer Quest etc.

Looking at the screenshots, I am unsure what the game in Railroads of America's is. I guess I will wait for the Touchgameplay video first...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I saw the name and hoped it was something like the classic Railroad Tycoon but its a puzzle game?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 AM

@iPadisGreat: well, i was planning to make additional campaigns/levels. Free. I wanted fist to see how many sales I will have. Now they are really low..

@Mene: It's not quite a puzzle one. It's more like a Time Management game. Maybe in the future I will make something bigger like a tycoon.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlgames View Post
@iPadisGreat: well, i was planning to make additional campaigns/levels. Free. I wanted fist to see how many sales I will have. Now they are really low..

@Mene: It's not quite a puzzle one. It's more like a Time Management game. Maybe in the future I will make something bigger like a tycoon.
Maybe because potential customers cannot figure out what kind of game Railroads of America is? Is it a line drawing game? A clone of Pipe Mania? A Railroad Tycoon clone?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Maybe because potential customers cannot figure out what kind of game Railroads of America is? Is it a line drawing game? A clone of Pipe Mania? A Railroad Tycoon clone?
That's exactly what I'm wondering.