Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default PALIDIN | The Ghalidir Chronicles - (by Patrick Thomas) [iPhone]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by PapalatiGames; 07-18-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Fixed youtube link. ;)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

want to get this, but the way they left the windows marketplace (didn't have a good relationship with MS) without ever finishing this for those that bought it there makes me hesitant at best to support them here.

that and i don't care for episodic gaming. release a game, not a demo.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Cool so another game like sorcery that will promise the other chapters but never actually make them.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
want to get this, but the way they left the windows marketplace (didn't have a good relationship with MS) without ever finishing this for those that bought it there makes me hesitant at best to support them here.

that and i don't care for episodic gaming. release a game, not a demo.
We just wanted to take a second to comment on your post as we have never spoken out to the exact reason why...

We decided not to renew our Developer License with MS at this time due to their policies on Certification. They give breaks to larger studios, but not to "Indies".

For example, they claimed several times, during certification, that we were not adhering to the guidelines for app development. An example of this would be: When a device is currently playing a form of audio, lets say from the Zune player or Spotify, that the app/game launching needs to prompt you for audio options regarding your game and the audio currently playing. The idea is that if you want to keep playing music and play your game, then your game needs to stop playing its music. So we provided several games to MS, which they had approved, those that which did not adhere to this "rule" and kept playing their audio despite audio already playing from a player. One of the games in question was "Rise of Glory" and of course it's hard to ignore the fact that they cut breaks for themselves; since it was Published by MS. Don't believe us, go ahead and launch Spotify or another player and see if Rise of Glory prompts you or not. Cutting breaks for yourself and then not for those much needed developers on your platform only makes things worse.

The communication from their certification support and development team was also the other major player in our decision. They would say to send an email and you would receive a response in 2-3 days, or something equivalent. We typically waited up to ~14 days most times before we received a response and then it was something requesting more information which would be promptly provided and then we would wait another two weeks to hear back. This caused us to miss our delivery date several times. We ended up missing it by two months because of this lack of communication on MS's part.

On a positive note, their developer "system" has a lot going for it and during our development time with Apple we/I have said several times why has Apple decided to make "this" so complicated it was much smoother with MS.

Again, the only painful time we had with MS development was with certification and the communication and double standards.

Now I know a lot of you might say, "they use 3rd party outsourcing for certification" and I will say yes I know and that is something they need to fix.

We love Windows Phone. I personally adopted it, right out the gate, abandoning my long love of iPhone for something new and fresh. It still is something completely different and that's a really good thing. I would love to continue developing Palidin for Windows Phone. I hate that those people that have paid for the app are sitting there waiting for an update, but there is a conflict internally here regarding how we feel about MS and how to proceed further. We haven't abandoned all hope for MS, they just need to get their stuff together and realize that this industry doesn't run on only 1st Part Developers and that it no longer requires Publishers to make these things happen. Independent Developers are here and are here to stay.

We say this, knowing that there are thousands out there just like us.

So, we have not abandoned Windows Phone entirely we have simply decided that until MS cleans up their act regarding "indies" we will have no part of it.

Dear MS -

We would like to one day finish Ghalidir's story on WP. The gamer's, that don't own a bot or a piece of fruit, deserve to hear the rest of the story. So, please restructure your certification process and we'll be back to do just that.

Sincerely,

Papalati Games

Dear Owners of PALIDIN for Windows Phone -

Let your voice be heard over on Twitter if you want to hear the rest of the story. Also, if you have an Apple Device we will work with you on getting Palidin for FREE for your device. So, just reach out to us at support@papalatigames.com.

Warmest Regards -

Papalati Games

[I personally agree with you regarding episodic gaming... when they charge for additional episodes/content. We, however, do not. You pay once and the rest is free. No ads. No In App Purchases. Not even popups for "Please Rate Us."]

Everyone have a great day!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

^^ Thank you for taking the time to explain that Papalati...

Pretty sure I'm going to pick this one up later on today after I get a giftcard at the store. It definitely caught my eye. =oD
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
Cool so another game like sorcery that will promise the other chapters but never actually make them.
The game came out less than 2 months ago. Give them time.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Why do you care what other games do? If I'm playing Spotify on my phone your app better not play any music. Just follow the guidelines and stop screwing the fans. Was just about to purchase your app but after reading the long "excuses" post, I've changed my mind. Good riddance to your company.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Woot! Wound up getting this - and although I don't have time ATM to actually sit down and GET INTO a game - I'm definitely super excited to start this one up. I should have about an hour or so tomorrow morning - at which time I will be FULLY immersed in this.

I hope you guys sell enough to stick with this and keep episodes coming. I fully understand the reasoning behind episodic releases and needing more money to keep the development rolling along, but have also had VERY FEW actually update after the first episode. It's a tough decision, but hopefully people will see the potential in this one and give it a shot. =oD
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I don't like the idea of the game being finished relying on how well it sells. I'd rather be in charge of whether or not I get more content than take a gamble by buying the initial app and then hoping that enough other people will get it so that they continue adding more content.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
I don't like the idea of the game being finished relying on how well it sells. I'd rather be in charge of whether or not I get more content than take a gamble by buying the initial app and then hoping that enough other people will get it so that they continue adding more content.
Well... Isn't this basically the case with 99% of the iOS games out there? These guys are just willing to let you know when they're going to let more content go instead of releasing a game with a 'more levels coming soon' world and never hearing from them again...