Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Default An iOS game that doesn't feel like a mobile game

Hey everyone,
I haven't been here long, so apologies if this question has been asked a million times before (although I didn't see it in the forum's recent history).

Can any of you suggest a game for iPhone that feels like a fully-fleshed out game, rather than a gaming experience tailored for portable play? I'd like to play a game with some weight behind it, that has a point of view. Not a Gameloft-esque copy-and-paste of a console game, or a game whose visuals impress but ends up feeling hollow. Something that feels complete.
A few games of the type that I've played and spring to mind are...
-The World Ends with You (a port, clearly)
-Final Fantasy games/other Square Enix hits
-Bastion
-The Bard's Tale
-Sid Meier's Pirates (yes, they've all been ports so far)
-GTA Chinatown Wars
-Flatspace
-Ascension
-King of Dragon Pass
-Might and Magic
-Galaxy on Fire 2

Am I making any sense? What I really mean, is a game that doesn't leave you yearning for a deeper experience.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Marshall618; 07-19-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^I assume ports are ok with you since your list has them so... I think these titles can be made into console games (even though some of them already are) and they'd play perfectly.

XCOM
Phoenix HD
Danmaku Unlimited 2
ARC Squadron
Liberation Maiden
Jacob Jones (but this is currently just Ep1)
The Walking Dead
Back to the Future
KOTOR
Limbo
Zen Pinball
Sine Mora
Fireball SE
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

A console experience on iOS... I'm not sure I've had such an experience. The touch controls, and inevitable interface changes because of those (especially troublesome with ports) take away any illusion that the games are anything but mobile games.

That's just my opinion, though. Nothing wrong with the games listed so far, but ehh...

I guess XCOM, from what I've seen, is the closest to this. Unlike KotOR, the interface doesn't seem like it was given a massive cluttering, and it is essentially a lite version of its console brethren. So I guess I'd say XCOM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Infinity Blade 2 is pretty good , and Real Racing 2 and 3 , although 3 is freemium .
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 AM
iPad mini 2

Hunters 2
Dead Space
The Walking Dead
Dungeon Defenders
Lili
Wild Frontier
Chaos Rings 2

Are all pretty good candidates, I think. :-)

Last edited by Leegames; 07-20-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Gameloft's Order & Chaos.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM

I know this isn't very helpfull to you because I don't have any suggestions for games that feel like console games but are on IOS but I was just wondering why you want a game like that if you want a console game play a console game .It might just be me with this opinion but I think the simplistic time-wasting gameplay is what makes IOS gaming a popular and now respected platform (as shown by ports of some prestigious AAA titles)I guess what I'm saying is I would rather play super hexagon!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM
iPhone 5

I'm with thesidewaystable on this one. This is a fools errand - the quest for the "console experience" in a $1-$5 game on a device with no dedicated controller and a 3 inch screen.

I guess what people mean when they refer to this console experience is the big FPSs like COD or the 40 hour rpgs like Skyrim and whatnot. Well, there really aren't any games on ios that get there - there's some that are a reasonable approximation for a portable device though (Bastion, XCOM, SuperBro's Sword & Sorcery..). However, some of my favorite games on the PS3 are games like Super Stardust HD and Pixeljunk Monsters and there are ios games that get pretty close to those.

The fact is the idevices are best suited for a certain type of gaming experience. If somebody wants to define that as a "lesser" experience, well that's up to them, but its a totally subjective thing. Fruit Ninja is one of the best videogames I've played in years on any system. It definitely is not a "console experience" but that's fine by me...

Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 07-20-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Well try to take a look at these titles:
Deus EX:The Fall
Shadowrun Returns(I hope it will be released this coming week)
Ravensword 2
Frozen Synapse
Iesabel(closest thing to diablo on iOS imo but it still needs some sharpening up).
Might and Magic:Clash of heroes
Sky Gamblers Series
Crazy Hedgy

Last edited by Alister; 07-21-2013 at 12:52 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidewaystable View Post
I know this isn't very helpfull to you because I don't have any suggestions for games that feel like console games but are on IOS but I was just wondering why you want a game like that if you want a console game play a console game .It might just be me with this opinion but I think the simplistic time-wasting gameplay is what makes IOS gaming a popular and now respected platform (as shown by ports of some prestigious AAA titles)I guess what I'm saying is I would rather play super hexagon!
But i cant take a console on a long train journey, i cant take a console (bit rude really) to my friends/parents if i go there for a weekend.

'Simple time wasting gameplay' is popular on iOS but i always dislike it when people seem to think iOS consists of mostly 'Angry Bird' quick type games. iOS has many huge epic games you can come back to, Order & Chaos, Aralon, Ravensword II and many more.

I think the days of thinking phones are just for 'quick simple games' are long gone. Look at something like Nova and you realise we've come a long way since Snake on an old Nokia phone.

One huge thing i love about my iphone is that wherever i go i've got my favourite books/movies/music/comics and TONS of epic apps (some granted for quick simple bursts, others for long epic gameplay over weeks) with me at all times