Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Lums HD (by Hyperbolic Magnetism) [Universal]

iPhone Only Version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lums/id648604415?ls=1&mt=8

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by metalcasket; 09-27-2013 at 03:23 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm getting a Helsing's Fire- like vibe from this one. Definitely getting this in approximately 13 minutes.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm honestly at a loss for words trying to describe how beautiful this game is. The lighting and shadows have to be seen to be believed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is a 2D physics-based puzzler. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Mind you, I'm playing the iPad version, but I doubt the iPhone version will look any less stellar.

Not going to go into detail about the gameplay since it's still too early in (5 levels), but Angry Birds, this is not. That's a good thing. There's no flinging. You basically use your finger to guide your Lums and will need precision to get around some tight spots and whatnot. The controls are BUTTERY smooth.

That's all from me tonight (2:00 am), but definitely check it this out. Seeing this in the upcoming thread, I was initially worried the gameplay wouldn't be able to match the aesthetics, but heh...it sure does, and then some. Get this. You'll love it.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Very beautiful game. Has a Contre Jour vibe. Enjoying the lite version.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I'm honestly at a loss for words trying to describe how beautiful this game is ...
Hi Metalcasket,

Vladimir from Hyperbolic Magnetism here! Thanks very much for actually the first review of Lums on the Internet! Wow, we sure appreciate it very much so you definitely got a hidden achievement by doing that.

Btw we are really happy that you like the controls - this was actually the most difficult part to "tweak". It uses like 10 "magical" constants to do the trick

Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiman View Post
Hi Metalcasket,

Vladimir from Hyperbolic Magnetism here! Thanks very much for actually the first review of Lums on the Internet! Wow, we sure appreciate it very much so you definitely got a hidden achievement by doing that.

Btw we are really happy that you like the controls - this was actually the most difficult part to "tweak". It uses like 10 "magical" constants to do the trick
Couldn't not reply before heading to bed!

I'll wear that hidden achievement proudly on my sleeve.

Yeah...the controls are something else. Like I said in my previous post, I saw the game back when the thread was first posted in the upcoming section and initially thought "Oh man, look at how gorgeous this looks...it's probably going to play like crap" (sorry )...you know, just going off the zillions of physics-based puzzlers on the App Store. I'm so glad I was proven wrong. I'm not kidding when I say my first reaction was "Am I even touching my iPad?" So frickin' smooth!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I have to agree about the lighting effects - these are among the best I've seen on ios. Really dynamic. I wasn't sure about the controls at first. The tutorial seemed to want me to swipe, which was difficult to control. But I started keeping my thumb on the screen like there was an analog stick there, and that felt a lot more comfortable, as there are some tight situations to maneuver.

There is a bit of an Angry Birds flavor, since you are trying to destroy the little forts these vampires have made, but that's as far as the similarity goes. This is more of a puzzle game, very cleverly using the environment, the lums with different abilities, and the light itself as elements of the puzzles. There is also a 3 star system, but more like Cut The Rope - you've got to hit the stars, or knock something into them, to earn them. Scoring system feels similar to Contre Jour (along with the atmosphere, as mentioned).

There are IAPs, but they seem totally unnecessary, and seem to exist only for the super impatient or for those who want to toss some more cash at the devs. Right now the store is only available within the level, and the only thing on the menu is nukes, which probably need no explanation.

There are 48 levels, with more promised, and if there is anything disappointing, it's that each world seems to be the same. Or, at least the first 2 worlds are the same. Guess I was hoping the environments would change, but there is nothing in the description or screen shots that led me to expect that.

All in all, it's a solid casual puzzler that looks pretty. Hope it gets more traction so we can look forward to those extra levels.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM

Big fan of contre jour, cyto and stretched. This one defintely measures up in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. And yes, the controls do work very well. Good job.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing, you guys get another star for great lighting.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Game Impressions

Gameplay trailer added to the OP.

Last edited by metalcasket; 07-24-2013 at 02:56 AM..