Project "Joan" – bloody indie scroll shooter for pixel lovers
Update from 2014.02.18
Todays news are:
- a new video and new screens
- new game description and it's key features
- a launch of the Joan Mad Run page on Steam Greenlight
- good news about multi-platform goals
- sad/good news about beta testing
Scroll down for more stuff.
The first gameplay trailer video - 5 new levels, a new boss, new mobs and new guns, yet still w/o shaders:
Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
The main news today is that we decided to launch the game on as many platforms as we will be able to handle - Mac/PC/Linux/iOS/Android. It'll depend on how well the project is funded and voted. So, vote and follow us if you'd like to see the game not just on the iOS.
The sad news is that beta testing iOS builds via TestFlight has recently become impossible for common users, which have no iOS Developer Program account. In order to be able to install anything from TestFlight you'll need first to activate your iOS device using Xcode and the IDP account login. So, we dropped the beta build distribution via TestFlight.
Instead of using TestFlight and because developing the game will probably take at least several more months we will be releasing a free (with no IAP) version of the game with a different main character and a separate new level - hopefully this is a matter of just several weeks.
For some time we were working on a limited Web/Flash version, but, as it turned out, it's far from being playable by now - so, the free prequel on iOS probably comes first.
Stay tuned for more updates and enjoy the new content!
New screenshots with added shaders and dynamic light effects:
Joan Mad Run
Click the pic to see the actual pixels.
Joan Mad Run is a pixel-art gory fight-to-the-death run’n’gun, that takes your enemies straight to hell. Literally.
The story begins with Joan waking up from a razor-sharp nightmare, which, ironically, turns out to be reality. Locked up in prison and bearing no memories about her past, she is left one-on-one with her insanity. Led by her inner voice, that craves for blood, and remorseless in the desire to find out the truth about her real self, Joan sets off on her cutthroat escape mission.
Having no one she can trust, Joan, luckily, has her guns, that would leave no chance for anyone or anything in her way. Stimulating in its sheer insanity and unnerving in its out-of-control brutality, the game instantly forces you into Joan’s shoes. And that’s when you get an amazing chance to satisfy your bloodlust by burning your enemies alive, melting them with acid, chopping them and watching their blood spurt like geyser, striking them with lightning, exploding them, squeezing them like bugs or sending them directly to the blazing inferno.
Pure and straight-down-the-line in its skeletal outline, Joan Mad Run is not that simple as it may seem. Being infected with the thrill of madness, you will have to try to keep your head cool, think fast and be hell dexterous if you hope to survive. Deadly traps, grisly bosses and callous scumbags are all here. So grab your gun, bite the bullet and show them who’s boss.
* single-player / multi-platform co-op multiplayer
* speedy breakneck gameplay with brutal boss battles and hardcore soundtrack
* dozens of meticulously designed weapons – from shotgun and katana to monomolecular wire and satanic pighead-gun
* exquisite and spectacular death effects: cut, explode, burn, freeze, melt, incinerate, squeeze, send to hell and use even more unique torture methods
* weapon crafting workbench that will allow to create stunning weapon combos
* plethora of atmospheric locations with over 50 callous enemies to test your limits
* dynamic environments with shader-based light and particle effects
* lots of secrets to unveil - secret levels/rooms/corridors, unique items and easter eggs
* procedurally generated levels
* supports many game controllers
* use your mobile phone as a wireless controller over WiFi
* natively stream game video and audio to compatible TVs and media centers over network
* play on desktop and on the go on PC/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android (progress synced across your computers and devices)
* will support all US/EU/AP major languages (and yours if you help us translate)
Follow us on Facebook to track updates http://www.facebook.com/Happymagenta
Last edited by Happybyte; 02-17-2014 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: main post content update
Meet some more weapon designs and effects - upgraded weapons mostly.
An upgraded Imp gun opens a black hole into a dark world and sends it to traverse the level to gather blood and souls:
10 gauge shotgun shrapnel spreads to a wider area - it's that powerful so it shoots enemies on all level platforms:
AK-47 with submachine grenade launcher
Shot of Odin
An upgraded version of Lighting gun, sends out a lightning ball electrocuting all who is trapped too close:
Acid gun LV
An upgraded Acid gun, deploys a bunch of head-crabs that spit acid and melt everyone on all level platforms:
Microwave gun 22
A wider ray of microwave energy burns across all levels:
Freezer with freezing grenade launcher
Cools down everything in the range of the grenade blast, including the environment:
Plasma sword with bullet deflection
Upgraded plasma sword give you an ability to deflect projectiles, bullets:
Monomolecular net upgrade
Throw monomolecular net and slice everyone in front of you into tiny pieces:
Circular saw C.P.
Throws saw discs after upgrade:
Replaces knife as an upgrade - slices enemies in several pieces:
Shrinks enemies to mice size - step on them to smash:
Golden pistol upgrade
Allows a more rapid rate of fire:
A king of close combat:
Last edited by Happybyte; 10-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: added more content
Thanks for your motivating opinions, all!
P.S. Who else want to beta test please send me a message via forum with your TestFlight email.
Early beta is more or less ready, yet we have to wait until Apple restores the developer portal, so we could update our certificates for TestFlight members.
Those pixels are so gorgeous. I'm ready to tie my red bandana on and bust out of that prison as soon as I can.