Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Default Monument Valley (by ustwo™)

Source: Pocketgamer

Quote:
London studio Ustwo’s next game is Monument Valley, an exploratory puzzle game inspired by the art of M.C Escher.

It’ll be released on iPad by the end of the year, and is the next project from Ustwo, the developer behind Whale Trail and Blip Blup. The project has evolved from concept sketches created by Ustwo artist and designer Ken Wong into a full game project, and is centred around perspective and environmental puzzles. The player must guide the silent protagonist Ida through a series of interconnected monuments to uncover hidden paths to the exits, as a central mystery unfolds.

“We started experimenting and asking ourselves – what about making a game about impossible geometry?” Wong tells us. “What if we took M.C. Escher and all of the things he explores, so that it’s not just an impossible shape but there are characters in there and it’s its own little world.”

In the demo we were shown, a series of interconnecting stages allowed the player to rotate sections of the scenery to open up a pathway to the exit, and another allowed the player to rewind time in order to progress. Each stage will have its own unique mechanic, said Wong, and the game’s story will be told through the environment and characters dotted about the game’s stages.

Monument Valley’s perspective puzzles feel a little reminiscent of Echochrome, but Ustwo aims to take those ideas a step further, says Wong.

“Looking at Echochrome, it’s a really nice piece of work but I think one area we can improve on, or at least what this game could do better, is that Echochrome is the same couple of mechanics spun over a lot of levels – so you kind of end up doing the same thing over and over. Our approach is that each level tells its own little story and has its own unique mechanic.”

“I just don’t want to repeat ourselves too much – I don’t feel the need to pad out the game to have a 20 hour experience, he added. “I don’t want to waste the player’s time. I feel like I’m only going to create levels if I have something new to say.”
Source: Edge
Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Id love to beta test this one
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow I've got a fez vibe as I look into that screen shot...Sigh too bad polytron's closing shop...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Wow we didn't realise there was already a thread on here for Monument Valley, thanks guys!

We aren't sure what the protocol is here, should we continue this thread or should we create a new one we can update?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustwogames View Post
Wow we didn't realise there was already a thread on here for Monument Valley, thanks guys!

We aren't sure what the protocol is here, should we continue this thread or should we create a new one we can update?

Thanks!
You could update this thread by adding a new post for each progress update. OR
You could contact the moderator to merge this thread into the new one (after you created it).

What is the release time-frame for your game? It looks super awesome and I would love to help beta test it.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I have an Escher print (or litho) on the wall, and love all of his work. This is a must buy.

You can't tell, but I'm throwing $ at the screen right now.

How long till this releases?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer1st View Post
I have an Escher print (or litho) on the wall, and love all of his work. This is a must buy.

You can't tell, but I'm throwing $ at the screen right now.

How long till this releases?
For you and anyone who loves Escher, check out this awesome game (only on PC though): http://thebridgeisblackandwhite.com/
(The Bridge)
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Well we're actually going to kick this whole beta testing thing into overdrive real soon, part of our reason for dropping by and seeing what's happening on the forums

It's also been good to touch base and see what other awesome games are being made that we didn't even know about, real eye opener.

We'll get a brand new thread set up by next Monday and then start talking about things like beta access etc. Unfortunately I can't say much about dates yet as we're still pretty much in the thick of things in terms of development, but we're really excited just to start this conversation, see what you guys think and work out ways to make Monument Valley better before release.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I have The Bridge. Great game.
There's a golf game I played on iPad several months ago that made me think of Escher as well. The whole thing was about completing different shots on various sections of a large cube.
I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer1st View Post
I have The Bridge. Great game.
There's a golf game I played on iPad several months ago that made me think of Escher as well. The whole thing was about completing different shots on various sections of a large cube.
I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.
Wonderputt by Damp Gnat.