Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Starborn Wanderers HD

I just started playing this the other day. It's actually pretty decent. The writing could be better - it reads like it was translated by someone who knows English well but not as a first language. It reminds me a lot of Warpgate. I think the main differences are that combat is turn based instead of realtime and the world maybe isn't as open - it seems much more story driven.

One thing - the game does a lot of handholding at the beginning - don't let that turn you off. Eventually, you gain full control and can pretty much go anywhere (though the quest system guides you very strongly on a certain path). I also keep having this feeling there will be an IAP paywall eventually, but so far so good.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I actually saw this on kotaku earlier today. I just picked it up.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

The game is great.
First paywall is on 9 level, it's not too hard to overcome it. I'm 16 level now.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I have had some crashes on my iPad 2. Not so happy with that, but so far it hasn't destroyed data (just maybe set me back a bit). Loading and displaying various windows is also kinda slow. But in general I'm having fun with it.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The bad:
The game is one huge paywall. All good equipment costs ridiculous amounts of its premium currency, compared to what I got so far (lvl 13 atm).
Even the standard currency gold is in short supply, when I look at what I could get.
Worst thing is that your default hyperdrive has a very small fuel supply only, and recharges quite slowly. Guess how you can get past that, and the answer that does not say "consumable IAP" does not count.

The good:
Very polished, story is quite good too so far. Plays smooth, graphics are good.
So far, it is very playable without shelling out for IAP, it just takes longer.
And ... the game looks *huge* . Lots of sectors I cannot even reach yet, very long list of main quests.

Some advise:
Do not spend anything on consumables, you really need to hoard your currencies. What you get as rewards has to be enough.
Do not waste consumables like healpacks. While they look plenty in the beginning, you can run out really fast when you tackle enemies that you are no real match for yet.
If you cannot beat an enemy with using only one healthpack, and some damage amplifiers (those I cannot complain about, did not run till now): come back later with better stuff.
Good example are the level 13 enemies in the Black Market Sector: when I first got there on level 8 or so, I wasted a lot of ressources just to kill one or two. Not worth it.
When you reach level 13, see that you have 35k gold to buy the new ship that gets available then. I am still saving up for it, but from the numbers alone it looks much better than the one before.

This could have been a great premium priced game in my opinion. Too bad the devs decided to do freemium, and the wrog way to boot.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
iPad

Was going to get this as it sounded pretty interesting. But then I realized that it requires iPad 2 and above and was sad. I understand the reason why people don't want to support the old iPad 1, but still sucks.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Downloaded it, but deleted after 30 mins. Just too slow to load everything - start up, but then whenever you click anything in game (ipad 2). Game had promise, and I imagine if you have a new ipad it might be quicker?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I like this game. It's taking awhile to work around the IAP, but that's ok. One thing I did notice is that the install says that it's 343mb, but after a couple of days playing I noticed that it's just under a 1gb. Weird.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigE1669 View Post
I like this game. It's taking awhile to work around the IAP, but that's ok. One thing I did notice is that the install says that it's 343mb, but after a couple of days playing I noticed that it's just under a 1gb. Weird.
343 Mb is the download size. Install size is usually more
Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Doesn't seem to work anymore on IOS 7.04
Freezing on the loading screen. IOS 7.03 was working fine