Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Maze of Darkness (by Doopop) [Universal]

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Endless behind-the-back running horror game?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I felt like it would be an endless runner, and i wasnt wrong. Runner-sense? LOL.

Very atmospheric game, and one that'll test your reaction.

Controls are simply swipe left and right to turn, swipe up to jump, and swipe down to crouch.

Interesting to point out, is that these controls are inactive there isnt an obstacle around. Means you cant jump or slide or turn if there isnt any "obstacle." Once there is an obstacle, ALL of these controls become active. I think it's a great idea to do this since it would be silly to try jumping a lot or crouching when there isnt really anything around, especially since atmosphere is one of this game's strengths.

Now the obstacles... Very grotesque creatures and there are 21 types of them to be found in the maze. Part of the game, is to find them. Im not sure what the number of sightings are for, but it looks like they have some significance to them when you reach 25 sightings on each one.

The maze also isnt what they seem at first. When you get close to a junction, walls open and close, meaning you cant turn too early which will test your reaction.

There are these things called Lux that you pick up in-game and they are very rare, and you use them to unlock other characters. you'll need 30 lux and 60 lux to unlock the 2 other characters to play as.

All this good of course, is not without its flaws.

For one, since the main attraction to this title is its scary atmosphere, it's weird how "static" character hair is, or maybe the shirt needs to move a bit, or something.

I just feel the main characters you use need a bit more polish than what they are right now.

Maybe a few more "protruding textures" to the walls may help, like cobwebs, or hanging chains, or broken woodplanks from the ceiling, and maybe cracked walls with cracked bricks showing. Maybe some blood splatters scraped on the walls.

One thing i also wish would be added, more than the ones i mentioned above, is a proper "death" animation like how Into the Dead's game over screen is.

Overall a great game, but still has some room for improvement.

This game is from Doopop, same devs who created Ninja Slash which is one of my favorite no-tilt runner games.

It's free, give it a shot.

Cheers!

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 08-03-2013 at 01:58 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 01:51 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I personally thought Ninja Slash was just too "populated" and that took something away from the actual experience (which is actually excellent), but from your impressions EP, this sounds like one heck of a fresh idea. On it.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I personally thought Ninja Slash was just too "populated" and that took something away from the actual experience (which is actually excellent), but from your impressions EP, this sounds like one heck of a fresh idea. On it.
Yup... Fresh is definitely a word to describe this one.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:02 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Very atmospheric and creepy. It's already given me a few jump scares (probably doesn't help it's 3 a.m) The game seems very polished and I'll definately keep playing for a while to try and find all the different monsters. Don't know what happens when you view each one 25 times though?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Can't see any screenshots for this because of my bad internet connection but "endless Btb running Horror game" sounds great to me can't wait to play it in 4 hours.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Diggin' this quite a bit. I stuck onto my iPhone and wasn't quite sure how much I liked it initially, but by the time you get to the 7th floor, the difficulty ramps up nicely, there's a ton of variety in the enemies and that damn googly-eyed girl and the damn old school "EEP, EEP, EEP!" sound effect finally got to me. Put it on my iPad and it'll probably stay there for a good while...indeed because this marks the first time in history there's been a horror based endless runner.

Icon's a little boring and "MazeO...ness" isn't the greatest app title though.

EDIT: Anyone experience ads during gameplay? Maybe it was because I returned to the game from a locked screen and started it up too quickly or something, but still...it says this is free for a limited time. If it goes paid and has ads (or even just displays ads for those who got it free somehow), that's not cool.

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-03-2013 at 02:44 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^Yeah... there are ads unfortunately. Didnt get any until after a few runs and after i posted here a couple times.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Game's quite fun, but it doesn't really start getting interesting or challenging until about floor 10 or so. Fortunately, you can spend a lux to warp straight to the highest floor reached, which is a fantastic timesaver.

On the other hand, the whole lux thing is an obviously poorly thought out and tacked-on monetising option, with amounts ranging from 50 for NZ$1.29, to 6250 for $64.99. None of this is necessary, however, as all you really need is a total of 90 lux for the two additional runners (Queen and King) and a handful for warping, and you get ten lux for each ten-second ad video you watch.

The only other thing in the game to spend lux on is the "sightings" for the almanac: you start off having to see each enemy once, then 25 times, then 50, 100, and finally 250, and there are achievements for each sighting level for each individual enemy. By spending lux worth the difference between the current sightings and required sightings, you can skip a level and get the achievement.

Example: if you're onto the second level of the High Priestess, and have 16/50 sightings needed, you can spend 34 lux to skip straight to the 100 sightings level. It seems a pointless system, to be honest, but the developers might make some money from lazy achievement hunters who just want GC points without actually playing the game.