Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default Mobile gamer no more...?

Mobile gamer no more...?

This whole thing started as I received the 1000$ from my summer job. I was a hardcore mobile gamer since 2004 and I only played certain PC titles, such as: COD 2, Assassins creed, the Fallout series, the elder scrolls series, and some more in between; my point is, that I only played AAA games on the PC.

I was planning on playing Skyrim since it's release in 2011. I wanted to play it in sommer, because I know games such as Skyrim require a lot of time. I couldn't play it in 2012, so I played it this year. Literally 24/7.

Now I'm in a huge dilemma... I have the 1000$ and I was planning on buying the new iPhone 5s. But... Because I played Skyrim another option was revealed to me; buying a new Laptop. I currently have a useless stationary PC, which is 7 years old and an old 3Gs iPhone. As you can see I desperately need both, a new computer and a new phone.

I realized something... MOBILE GAMING HAS NO FUTURE... Why? There are only a handful of 3D AAA quality RPGs and FPS games and on the other side you've got a million of those sucky generic 2D mini-games. And who is to blame? The mobile hipster community imo; "Oh look, a new artsy pixely game is out, I should download that right now!" on the other hand indie developers who struggle with developing awesome games (Crescent Moon, Ravensword, Aralon, for example) get almost no attention... Mobile phones are more than capable of having large scale AAA games. But, because all publishers and developers see that sucky generic 2D IAP games provide more money they make those games. As long as there are those mobile hipsters around mobile gaming has no future. There may be one or two note-worthy games per year, but nothing more.

I think I'm buying a new PC, because my old 3Gs will still support those crappy apps for years...

PS: I may be a little drunk, but still... I think I have a point
Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

PRIMOZ! Don't you DARE leave us!

Sober up man! I drank last night too, spent 33 bucks on the appstore. Here's the trick-find a secondary hobby for your iDevice. I forget, don't you usually respond to my music price drop notices (or is that Primozz? Confusing)? Let me ease you into the world of ios music making. You'll fall down a money pit that forces you to stay on ios...FOREVER!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

So I have about 1100 budgeted for fun stuff. You can get a desktop that will play anything out right now(OR a PS4), AND a new iDevice. Why choose?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
PRIMOZ! Don't you DARE leave us!

Sober up man! I drank last night too, spent 33 bucks on the appstore. Here's the trick-find a secondary hobby for your iDevice. I forget, don't you usually respond to my music price drop notices (or is that Primozz? Confusing)? Let me ease you into the world of ios music making. You'll fall down a money pit that forces you to stay on ios...FOREVER!
I do use the iPhone quite a lot lately for my art projects (2 hours per day). I was also thinking of buying an old cheap iPad with the minimum requirements to support those apps. And yes, that must have been primozz... I dont enjoy making music.

Quote:
So I have about 1100 budgeted for fun stuff. You can get a desktop that will play anything out right now(OR a PS4), AND a new iDevice. Why choose?
1000 is definitely not enough though... I would have to pay at least 600$ for the new iPhone and if I were to buy a new Laptop, I would definitely pay 1000$ and get the best possible thing for that money. I will have to make a choice.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Used to be a hardcore game. I wouldn't recommend buying a laptop just for games. I bought a gaming laptop about a year or two ago which cost roughly $1000, it was an Aspire 5755G. I had a pretty bad experience playing games on the laptop, it overheats way too easily, it requires anual maintenance in cleaning the insides of the laptop to free it from dust. It will easily go up to 95c whenever you play any sort of games, it wares out the hardware fairly fast. In two years of having the laptop, I've replaced the heat sink twice, and replaced the motherboard once due to overheating.

After purchasing an iPod touch, I seldom use the laptop to game anymore. Now I just use it for university work and indie gaming which does not take up lots of hardware resource.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

First of all, if you want the best games go PC or console. Absolutely a no brainer there.

Second, if you go with PC, skip the laptop. Equivalent hardware to a desktop is roughly double, and like a previous poster mentioned, it overheats fast. It's simply not a cost effective solution to your problem; a very capable desktop gaming rig could be build for a mere $800.

Finally, sad to see you go. I'll remember that counter-strike thread for a long while yet
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
First of all, if you want the best games go PC or console. Absolutely a no brainer there.

Second, if you go with PC, skip the laptop. Equivalent hardware to a desktop is roughly double, and like a previous poster mentioned, it overheats fast. It's simply not a cost effective solution to your problem; a very capable desktop gaming rig could be build for a mere $800.

Finally, sad to see you go. I'll remember that counter-strike thread for a long while yet
And a 600 desktop,properly sourced, will run anything for a long time. Moore's law is dead. At least on standard-voltage computing devices.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:42 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
And a 600 desktop,properly sourced, will run anything for a long time. Moore's law is dead. At least on standard-voltage computing devices.
Well, not if you're going to be playing current and next gen games - an $800 rig is cutting it close for the next gen titles.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Cool! We're in the same position, but it was years ago. I still have my iPhone 3GS here, just using it to play music outside or call somebody, and yeah, coincidentally, I've got a very weak PC, all the good games are very laggy, you couldn't really get any fun out of it. That was back in the day, but luckily I forgot it was payday, bought a new graphics card and somehow 'new' processor, which is just a bit different. And yeah, bought a new iPad 2. I'm telling you, don't buy a laptop, don't buy a new PC, just buy these: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 - what I'm using now, its pretty good, but you can't max out the graphics of games like Battlefield 3, but you can get decent graphics (I recommend a 2gb one), and a new quad core CPU, just to match your card. Their both good for your 1k dollars, and go on, buy that iPhone 5 you're wishing too, we just don't want you to leave.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Haha... It's a little more complicated than that. I know stationary PCs are way better for the price, but if I'd be buying a new PC I had to buy a laptop, because I'm going to college next year and I'll need one anyway.

Besides, that about over-heating isn't such a big problem. My brother has some cheap Asus laptop, on which I played Skyrim (as I mentioned; 24/7) and it didn't overheat at all. I just had to have a fanboard under it. The laptop is 3 years old and the only thing my brother had to replace was the battery...

You guys are missing my point though. I wanted to buy a new iPhone, but after realizing that we will "never" get quality games for it I simply wondered what's the point of buying it? Perhaps I'll buy a new phone in three years from now and I won't miss anything. I will be able to catch on what I missed in a month or two...

I also have no games to look forward to, so this just boosted my decision...

Last edited by Primoz; 08-04-2013 at 02:01 AM..