Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Yahoo to Hidden Treasure Games
Default The Curse of Shadow House (Universal)

Hey guys and Gals. I just got my first game reviewed and released in the App store today. It was a one man project, art, music etc. except for a couple audio tracks my friend Sergio Zurawski created with me. I'm new to the game creation scene, but I've been an artist for a LONG time and I hope it shows in the graphics. I've been a hobbyist programmer since plotting points in basic on an Appleii. It was very much inspired by my favorite old games like The 7th Guest, Shadowgate and some newer ones like The Lost City. I hope someone will check it out and enjoy it. Thanks people!

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Hidden Treasure Games; 08-13-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Congrats on the release. This looks fantastic!

May I ask how big the game is uncompressed?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Well it's just under 200 mb, but I'm trying to get it down a bit. Going to work on that for the next update. Size got quite a bit larger adding resolutions for older devices. File size and compression etc. is one of my weak points, but my goal is to never stop learning. Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. I think the music turned out pretty cool as well. I'm physically Crashing now! been a long day-week-month-year? lol.

Last edited by Hidden Treasure Games; 08-13-2013 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: could be mis interpreted
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Treasure Games View Post
Well it's just under 200 mb, but I'm trying to get it down a bit. Going to work on that for the next update. Size got quite a bit larger adding resolutions for older devices. File size and compression etc. is one of my weak points, but my goal is to never stop learning. Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. I think the music turned out pretty cool as well. I'm physically Crashing now! been a long day-week-month-year? lol.
Wait, the download size is bigger than the uncompressed file? O_O

Either way, you had to say "7th Guest", didn't you? Can't resist that. I'm in!

Dude, get some well deserved rest!

(Why am I using so many smileys? >_>)

EDIT: Well, damnit...just saw your Kickstarter page. Why must you be so humble? *throws more dollars at you*

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-13-2013 at 01:45 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Sorry, the uncompressed size I mentioned is for the retina assets only. Everything packaged before compression was just over 300 mb. Haha. Derp!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Treasure Games View Post
Sorry, the uncompressed size I mentioned is for the retina assets only. Everything packaged before compression was just over 300 mb. Haha. Derp!
That's fantastic. I was afraid this would bloat up to something like a gig, "so just "over 300 mb" is a very, very welcome surprise.

Guys, this is on launch sale. It's a dollar without a single IAP. Do it. Do it now.

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-13-2013 at 02:06 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Thanks man! :P
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

I'm at a loss for words right now. Admittedly, I've been at work for the last 12 hours so I haven't really spent time playing the game, but the amount of love that's been poured into this is just apparent from the second you boot it up. Every nook and cranny seems to have been thought out. Why am I at a loss for words? Your dear metalcasket, TouchArcade's resident metalhead...dude, the music is just beautiful. I could stare at one of the few open areas at the beginning of the game and just listen to the music all day long. Wow! Considering this is only going to get dark...I can't wait.

Just a heads up...the "Help" page is blank.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Kickstarter link FWIW: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f-shadow-house
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Thanks for the compliments.

Wow. That means a lot to me man, seriously. So, I've been chatting back and forth with the kickstarter backers today and we've found a few bugs that I thought I'd addressed. So I've been hard at it ironing out these issues today and am going to be pushing for an expedited review to get the update out once I address the remaining issues. There were a few issues with resizing journal entries and message blocks causing text to get cut off in the universal build and another critical bug (that doesn't always happen) that would cause items to disappear from the inventory making progression impossible. DERP! I thought I had completely eradicated this bug, but apparently not. Between doing the art, music and programming Sh*t gets pretty deep sometimes. If you experience the inventory bug, the solution is to not press anything in the inventory after you collect a new item until you have changed scenes after picking it up. I think this is 100% fixed now and will be in the update. Also, help page should open a link to the facebook page. Works for me, Does it not for you?

I'm so thrilled you enjoy the music man, that was a HUGE part of it. PEACE! This game is a labor of love for me.