How NOT to make an indie game

08-13-2013, 04:46 PM
How NOT to make an indie game

A full post-mortem for our Great Little War Game is currently featuring on VentureBeat right now: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/13/gr...budget-and-pr/

It has numbers. And lots of gory bits. Hopefully a warning to new startups about getting your shit together before you start, just like we didn't!
08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for a good read! I must say I'm with you on the whole marketing thing - trying to stay away from it and wishing it would be just the game's quality that counts... Yeah : )

08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilArev View Post
... and wishing it would be just the game's quality that counts...
Yeah, that would good huh.

Good luck with your project. If we made it with all that against us, it should be a source of optimism for anybody!
08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Very informative read, thank you. Even knowing about some of the budget and pr pitfalls mentioned, I still find it difficult to side-step them!
08-15-2013, 10:06 AM
08-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Fantastic read. AS GLWG and GBWG being some of my favorite iOS games I am very glad to see that post and the trials you went through and even the income. I hope they GBWG was a lot smoother for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoy View Post
Ask pbarillas how to make the character jump he's intelligent. He should answer. He sometimes doesn't answer though because he has other commitments like learning nursery rhymes, the alphabet and how to tie his shoe laces.
08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks for this, I feel the more I see articles like this the more I'm worried once my group's first app launches we may not have done enough pre-work.

I know there is no exact formula, but more thorough pre-release development and marketing can make all the difference I suppose
08-16-2013, 02:30 AM
I think it's more important than the quality of the game in all honesty. There's so much competition about that getting people to try your game has become the #1 challenge. Only after they try does it matter if its any good, iyswim.
08-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Maybe you didn't make it big, but you didn't go into the red.

You spent: $190,000
You made: $500,184

So, between the 5 of you (if split equally) would have $62K each in bonus (because it said tech was included in the $190K).

Also, was this the only project this particular team was working on?

Plus the bump you'll get from being on the front page of VB.