Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Default Happy birthday, H.P. Lovecraft! The Ball of Cthulhu [Universal] is out now!

Greetings Touch Arcade!

Fellow game developer EFGames encouraged me to post here, so here we go!

I'm an indie game developer, and The Ball of Cthulhu is what resulted when I combined my love of the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos, casual game play puzzle mechanics, and something resembling an old-school challenge (AKA "NES hard"). Remember back when games were a little tough but skill, ingenuity and a bit of luck would overcome the level? That's the mindset I had when play balancing and tuning the game.

The Ball of Cthulhu was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's weird tales, in particular any that dealt with the Cthulhu mythos. You'll get it if you're into it. Game play-wise, TBoC has been called a dark, demented, and challenging take on Peggle and other puzzle games. I had started off wanting to do a pinball/breakout game, but soon embraced the comparison, so to say.

That being said, glad to be here, and hope you all have fun with it!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Looks like lots of crazy fun! I have been waiting for more Cthulhu apps to show up and it does look like a crazy version of something like pachinko or Peggle. I can tell you've put lots of time and polish into this! I am downloading now! The stars are telling me I'm going to love this one!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaelsh View Post
Looks like lots of crazy fun! I have been waiting for more Cthulhu apps to show up and it does look like a crazy version of something like pachinko or Peggle. I can tell you've put lots of time and polish into this! I am downloading now! The stars are telling me I'm going to love this one!
Thank you! Our team of two (myself and Claudia Sutton, artist extrordinaire) appreciate your comment!

And yes, if you're going to make a Cthulhu game, craziness has to factor in there somehow.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I've been playing for about half an hour already and I am loving it! Great polish and style given to everything! The sound effects really make you feel like you are in the Mythos and this stuff is happening around you. Really cool story line that fits in with the Mythos stories. One cool thing about this versus something like Peggle or Pachinko is that the ball bounces like nuts until it hits the platform things then it kind if slide off of it toward the bottom where the cultists are gathered. Having that in there makes it so you can be slightly more strategic at times about shots so that you bounce it around then slide it off the platform. Very challenging, but given that it is Cthulhu we're talking about, it is not unfairly so. I can't wait to see how the gameplay evolves and how the story flushes out! Great job on a fun and very Cthulhu game!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more followers that need to be called!

Last edited by vaelsh; 08-20-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Highly recommend this game - it's extremely addictive with a great back story!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaelsh View Post
I've been playing for about half an hour already and I am loving it! Great polish and style given to everything! The sound effects really make you feel like you are in the Mythos and this stuff is happening around you. Really cool story line that fits in with the Mythos stories. One cool thing about this versus something like Peggle or Pachinko is that the ball bounces like nuts until it hits the platform things then it kind if slide off of it toward the bottom where the cultists are gathered. Having that in there makes it so you can be slightly more strategic at times about shots so that you bounce it around then slide it off the platform. Very challenging, but given that it is Cthulhu we're talking about, it is not unfairly so. I can't wait to see how the gameplay evolves and how the story flushes out! Great job on a fun and very Cthulhu game!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more followers that need to be called!
vaelsh, your comments and feedback have made our day!

It was a blast creating the audio and trying to come up with Cthulhu-esque sounds.

In making a game that featured Cthulhu, we knew that fans old and new would have an idea of what made him the Elder God, so we needed to make sure that the storyline was fitting. Once you reach its conclusion, we hope you appreciate the events that unfolded!

And the game play does evolve a bit; we just hope you're not driven insane by the challenges at the end.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
Highly recommend this game - it's extremely addictive with a great back story!
Your high scores are going down soon, my friend!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSauce View Post
Your high scores are going down soon, my friend!
I've been only first in GameCenter on my own games, and it has been short lived...

I'll try to dominate your Leaderboards as long as I can !!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
I've been only first in GameCenter on my own games, and it has been short lived...

I'll try to dominate your Leaderboards as long as I can !!
You had me, but you need to double your efforts again.

Speaking of, for those of you wanting to increase your scores and 3 Star those levels:

If you have to choose between taking out the last remaining star or world in a level, always choose the world. Not only do you get an extra call for consuming a world, you get a lot more followers.

Also, building up your multiplier by having your call bounce all over the cosmos before and after you consume the last star or world is key. In later levels, wormholes are your friend!

Finally, set up your shots by focusing on the lesser worlds that aren't yet "ready" for Cthulhu's glory--and then do your best to get more than one of them in a single call.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Awesome tips thanks! Yeah I have gotten to the point where the planets are introduced and that is a cool addition. Quick question though what are those green cubes that go to orange, red, then disappear? Are they worth aiming for? And can you describe in more detail how to increase the multiplier? I have increased it by hitting the pillars by the cultists at the bottom but what are other ways to do so? Thanks!