★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Alvin Muolic
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 46.4 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Drive yourself insane with an all-new content update!

Cthulhu needs YOU. Cthulhu's followers await the call throughout time and space. The call is powerful enough to destroy stars and consume worlds, yet it more often than not drives those to the brink of insanity. This awesome power is now in your hands, waiting to be unleashed. How many followers have you called today?

The Ball of Cthulhu is the demented and challenging puzzle game that's been calling for you!

Easy to play: Swipe to aim, tap to send out a call!
Hard to master: Will Cthulhu's desire for more followers push you over the edge?
Madness: A pulp fiction narrative takes you through 50 levels of H.P. Lovecraft-inspired chaos!
Hysteria: Physics make your call bounce all over the cosmos!
Insanity: Challenging endgame levels with near-infinite replayability!
Delirium: Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements! Drive friends mad with your challenges!
Lunacy: No additional game costs! (apart from your sanity) Support your favorite Elder God by buying the game once and owning it all!*

* Must unlock all levels and content through the time-tested approach of beating the previous ones!

What are you waiting for? Cthulhu needs more followers!

"when the stars are right... Cthulhu will awaken and revel across the world..."

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Slide To Play
"...you might want to consider descending into the madness of the App Store to download The Ball of Cthulhu."

Appolicious
"Fans of the Cthulhu mythos and Plinko or pinball-style games should try The Ball of Cthulhu."

Cult of Mac
"Ever feel like submitting your will, nay, your sanity, to an Elder God? iOS game The Ball of Cthulhu aims to make your dream a reality, with a narrative right out of the pulp magazines of the Lovecraftian era..."

148Apps
"The Ball of Cthulhu is a game that will drive you mad. Insane even. Get ready for maddening difficulty in this arcade-style puzzle game thats full of 'elder gods, crazed cultists, and the dread of looming insanity.' Eek!"

DevilSauce's comments:




Greetings Touch Arcade!

Fellow game developer EFGames encouraged me to post here, so here we go!

I'm an indie game developer, and The Ball of Cthulhu is what resulted when I combined my love of the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos, casual game play puzzle mechanics, and something resembling an old-school challenge (AKA "NES hard"). Remember back when games were a little tough but skill, ingenuity and a bit of luck would overcome the level? That's the mindset I had when play balancing and tuning the game.

The Ball of Cthulhu was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's weird tales, in particular any that dealt with the Cthulhu mythos. You'll get it if you're into it. Game play-wise, TBoC has been called a dark, demented, and challenging take on Peggle and other puzzle games. I had started off wanting to do a pinball/breakout game, but soon embraced the comparison, so to say.

That being said, glad to be here, and hope you all have fun with it!
08-20-2013, 01:45 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Rexburg, ID
Posts: 455
Looks like lots of crazy fun! I have been waiting for more Cthulhu apps to show up and it does look like a crazy version of something like pachinko or Peggle. I can tell you've put lots of time and polish into this! I am downloading now! The stars are telling me I'm going to love this one!

08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaelsh View Post
Looks like lots of crazy fun! I have been waiting for more Cthulhu apps to show up and it does look like a crazy version of something like pachinko or Peggle. I can tell you've put lots of time and polish into this! I am downloading now! The stars are telling me I'm going to love this one!
Thank you! Our team of two (myself and Claudia Sutton, artist extrordinaire) appreciate your comment!

And yes, if you're going to make a Cthulhu game, craziness has to factor in there somehow.
08-20-2013, 02:28 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Rexburg, ID
Posts: 455
I've been playing for about half an hour already and I am loving it! Great polish and style given to everything! The sound effects really make you feel like you are in the Mythos and this stuff is happening around you. Really cool story line that fits in with the Mythos stories. One cool thing about this versus something like Peggle or Pachinko is that the ball bounces like nuts until it hits the platform things then it kind if slide off of it toward the bottom where the cultists are gathered. Having that in there makes it so you can be slightly more strategic at times about shots so that you bounce it around then slide it off the platform. Very challenging, but given that it is Cthulhu we're talking about, it is not unfairly so. I can't wait to see how the gameplay evolves and how the story flushes out! Great job on a fun and very Cthulhu game!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more followers that need to be called!

Last edited by vaelsh; 08-20-2013 at 02:31 PM.
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
#5
Highly recommend this game - it's extremely addictive with a great back story!
08-20-2013, 02:46 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaelsh View Post
I've been playing for about half an hour already and I am loving it! Great polish and style given to everything! The sound effects really make you feel like you are in the Mythos and this stuff is happening around you. Really cool story line that fits in with the Mythos stories. One cool thing about this versus something like Peggle or Pachinko is that the ball bounces like nuts until it hits the platform things then it kind if slide off of it toward the bottom where the cultists are gathered. Having that in there makes it so you can be slightly more strategic at times about shots so that you bounce it around then slide it off the platform. Very challenging, but given that it is Cthulhu we're talking about, it is not unfairly so. I can't wait to see how the gameplay evolves and how the story flushes out! Great job on a fun and very Cthulhu game!
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more followers that need to be called!
vaelsh, your comments and feedback have made our day!

It was a blast creating the audio and trying to come up with Cthulhu-esque sounds.

In making a game that featured Cthulhu, we knew that fans old and new would have an idea of what made him the Elder God, so we needed to make sure that the storyline was fitting. Once you reach its conclusion, we hope you appreciate the events that unfolded!

And the game play does evolve a bit; we just hope you're not driven insane by the challenges at the end.
08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
Highly recommend this game - it's extremely addictive with a great back story!
Your high scores are going down soon, my friend!
08-20-2013, 05:20 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSauce View Post
Your high scores are going down soon, my friend!
I've been only first in GameCenter on my own games, and it has been short lived...

I'll try to dominate your Leaderboards as long as I can !!
08-21-2013, 11:45 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGames View Post
I've been only first in GameCenter on my own games, and it has been short lived...

I'll try to dominate your Leaderboards as long as I can !!
You had me, but you need to double your efforts again.

Speaking of, for those of you wanting to increase your scores and 3 Star those levels:

If you have to choose between taking out the last remaining star or world in a level, always choose the world. Not only do you get an extra call for consuming a world, you get a lot more followers.

Also, building up your multiplier by having your call bounce all over the cosmos before and after you consume the last star or world is key. In later levels, wormholes are your friend!

Finally, set up your shots by focusing on the lesser worlds that aren't yet "ready" for Cthulhu's glory--and then do your best to get more than one of them in a single call.

Good luck!
08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Rexburg, ID
Posts: 455
Awesome tips thanks! Yeah I have gotten to the point where the planets are introduced and that is a cool addition. Quick question though what are those green cubes that go to orange, red, then disappear? Are they worth aiming for? And can you describe in more detail how to increase the multiplier? I have increased it by hitting the pillars by the cultists at the bottom but what are other ways to do so? Thanks!