Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Pitch Jumper - by FIEA grad students

Hi Everyone,

I'm one of the developers for our grad project Pitch Jumper, a mobile platformer that crafts each level based on whatever song you pick out of your personal library. It's free on itunes so if you'd check it out we would appreciate the feedback.

If you'd like more general info you can check out the website, facebooks, etc. or you can ask me here and I'll be glad to answer questions.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Awesome. I've been looking for music influenced games. Does it only support iTunes or regular MP3 files as well?

I'll post impressions later
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Overall a decent platformer, but there were some things that need tuning IMO. The jumping felt kind of clunky and it's very easy to accidently wall jump when you want to jump regularly and vice versa. Also the left right controls felt a tad unresponsive.

What aspects does the music influence? I noted level length and that environment flashing and moving to the music.

Now is the primary goal here to collect and reach the end of the level? IMO the gameplay feels kind of...dull. There's no sense of urgency or danger. If this is meant to be aimed at younger players, that's perfectly acceptable. Or it could just be me, since I'm more accustomed to difficult platformers like Penumbear, Kid Tripp, and 14px.

But for a (first?) game and as a casual platformer, it's fun and a great start. Good luck in your future projects and career (fellow college student here!) and I'll be on the lookout for any other apps and games from your group
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Anyone else try this? Your feedback will be very helpful to these guys
Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Nvm, beat to it by seconds.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I seen the first level length is too long, and it very easy and not have anything impression. I thought.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Default How it works

@Bronxsta

Pitch Jumper works off of any mp3 or m4a (itunes) in your library.

This was our first full scale project and it took our team of 13 about 7 months to complete. The changes each level based on song length, bpm or tempo, and music density.

Good call on the target demographic too, it is aimed at a more casual and younger audience. We had 150 bucks to play with and decided after some research to do some facebook advertising with it and are seeing some awesome click through rates. Max of 2.1% where average is around .5%.

We have a leaderboard running but we haven't set it up to output to our website yet or anything. With that in mind we had two goals for that why am I doing this problem. The first was people would enjoy 'playing' their music. The second was to get people to challenge their friends to high scores.

Tons of features we wish we had time to implement like facebook integration, itunes integration so you could just straight buy a song through our app etc. :/

We technically finished this prototype at the end of the summer semester so all work on it from this point on is voluntary. We are working on porting it to android and a couple of other small things.

Thanks for the feedback and if you have any more questions ask away!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Song Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynuyt View Post
I seen the first level length is too long, and it very easy and not have anything impression. I thought.
Actually the length of every level in the game is fit to whatever song you chose. If you choose American Pie by Don McLean you'll be playing an eight and half minute level XD. I plugged that in once to see if it would crash and it doesn't woot. We do have a song length minimum of 30 seconds so anything under that won't show up in the list.