★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad 2 charger coating split. HELP!

08-25-2013, 09:19 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 255
iPad 2 charger coating split. HELP!

My iPad 2's charger coating got split, on the end of the charger portion that you put in the iPad. Searching Google, people on forums recommended electric tape, I did so, but the coating is still moving that you can stretch the coating left/right that breaks the coating even more. I've replaced the electric tape numerous times already but it still the same result. THE WIRE INSIDE IS FINE, it's just worrying me that the moving of the coating will split it furthermore. Is that normal? Does electric tapes have that very adhesive stick? I don't want to damage the wire more. You may have noticed that I've written many sentences now, 'coz I'm VERY WORRIED. That's exaggerated but.. I'm that kind of person.

THanks
08-25-2013, 09:48 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
My iPad 2's charger coating got split, on the end of the charger portion that you put in the iPad.
Have you considered just dropping it by an Apple store to see what they think? Apple is having a charger trade-in program right now, where you could get a replacement for $10 max. Might not be a bad solution for getting an official charger/replacement at a discount, for an out-of-warranty device.

(On the other hand, I see you're in the Philippines. I know the charger trade-in program extends to many countries, but I didn't check to see if yours is included.)

08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Have you considered just dropping it by an Apple store to see what they think? Apple is having a charger trade-in program right now, where you could get a replacement for $10 max. Might not be a bad solution for getting an official charger/replacement at a discount, for an out-of-warranty device.

(On the other hand, I see you're in the Philippines. I know the charger trade-in program extends to many countries, but I didn't check to see if yours is included.)
Thanks for your concern but I'm miles away from the nearest Apple Store here, it will take hours.
08-25-2013, 10:33 AM
#4
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,069
Depends a lot on the electrical tape I've found it pretty hard to get the good ones lately the market is flooded with much thicker, less sticky, less stretchy ones the last few years and it's extremely hard to tell from just looking especially when it's in sealed packages.

The good tape you can just kind of stretch round the wire and it'll basically keep forever the common stuff now I keep buying by accident would be lucky to stay on a few days.

I'd also advise getting a new charger asap if the wire does get damaged theres an obvious chance at getting a shock but probably a bigger one of the twisted or shorted wires causing a fire.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
08-25-2013, 11:36 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Philippines
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

I'd also advise getting a new charger asap if the wire does get damaged theres an obvious chance at getting a shock but probably a bigger one of the twisted or shorted wires causing a fire.
How does the wire get damaged? Damn man, you scare me.
08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
How does the wire get damaged? Damn man, you scare me.
It's pretty unlikely unless you can see the bare metal of both the + and - but the wire could theoretically get damaged the same way as the coating did just something that's not really worth taking chances on in my opinion.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,016
You are talking about the cable, not the charger right? You can get OEM cables cheap, and even the non Apple brands are pretty hard to screw up. The charger is better to get Apple, but I have owned many, many cables due to kids breaking them, and they are all pretty much the same.

That being said, you want cloth electric tape if you can find it. Sticky, will stay on, and is non conductive. But, better to just get a new cable, and not worry about it.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer