Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default Dumb Launch Strategies?

A. Launch at $0.99 w/ one FREE IAP that gives some type of bonus and will disable ads if they are ever turned on in the future. It's VERY important that this IAP is FREE and ads are OFF while app is paid. Dev waits to see how game does. If/When it becomes dead, i.e. less than $5 per day, switch price to free and set IAP to $0.99 and turn on Ads. Those players that bought at $0.99 and unlocked the IAP will never see ads.

B. Launch as a free app with ads and IAP to remove. When/If it becomes dead, turn off ads and set game to $0.99. No big boost, but maybe more rev than from ads which need volume.

C. A, but no ads.

Last edited by nocanwin; 08-27-2013 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: added option C
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Razoric's Avatar
Razoric Razoric is offline
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 264
Default

Charging for a game and including ads seems like a bad idea. It's usually one or the other, right?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoric View Post
Charging for a game and including ads seems like a bad idea. It's usually one or the other, right?
Ads would always be turned off when charging for the game. They would only be turned on if the game failed as a paid app and you set it to free.

Paid
App 0.99
IAP Free

Free
App Free
IAP 0.99

The IAP would just be a guaranteed way to make sure players that paid for the app never see ads if you do switch to free.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Razoric's Avatar
Razoric Razoric is offline
Developer
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanwin View Post
Ads would always be turned off when charging for the game. They would only be turned on if the game failed as a paid app and you set it to free.

Paid
App 0.99
IAP Free

Free
App Free
IAP 0.99

The IAP would just be a guaranteed way to make sure players that paid for the app never see ads if you do switch to free.
Oh... I see. That's not a bad idea except for a scenario where a person bought the App, forgot to or didn't know to get the free IAP, then you flip the switch and you have someone who bought the App but still gets ads.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoric View Post
Oh... I see. That's not a bad idea except for a scenario where a person bought the App, forgot to or didn't know to get the free IAP, then you flip the switch and you have someone who bought the App but still gets ads.
You'd also want to sweeten the IAP with Bonus whatever to really encourage getting it. This would also be a reward for being an early adopter.

You could also have a player preference with a default value of "no ads" for launch. Then do an update that changes the default value to "ads" and release the update when you switch the price to free.

A player would see ads edgecases
  • bought the game, but never ran it, got the update after the switch to free.
  • bought the game, didn't get the IAP, uninstalled and then re-installed when free
  • price and update are out of sync during transition, though you could do some things to mitigate this.

Last edited by nocanwin; 08-27-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Of course option A would be a whole lot simpler if you didn't have ads at all. IAP are one thing, but ads seem to be an unforgivable sin with some players. I guess that would be an option C.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 PM
flathead flathead is offline
Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 30
Default

In scenario A): Why would you have to use the free IAP to remove ads? Why not just have no ads and charge .99 to purchase?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 610
Default

When you go from free to paid cause it is "dead" charging more in unlikely to end in more downloads. That logic is failed.

I tend to think unless you a big publisher, no free version = no download for most people. Even for 99 cents people don't like taking a risk.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead View Post
In scenario A): Why would you have to use the free IAP to remove ads? Why not just have no ads and charge .99 to purchase?
There wouldn't be ads. The IAP would be there to protect the players that purchased the game if developer decided to switch the game to a freemium, ad supported game.

Ideally the game would do great at $0.99 and you'd never have to switch it to free w/ ads.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
nocanwin nocanwin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
When you go from free to paid cause it is "dead" charging more in unlikely to end in more downloads. That logic is failed.

I tend to think unless you a big publisher, no free version = no download for most people. Even for 99 cents people don't like taking a risk.
yeah, I agree. If the game didn't do good at zero it's not going to do good as paid. It will probably generate slightly more earnings. 1-5 sales a day is better than $0.20 in ad revenue.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent