Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 PM
iPhone 4

Default Rocket Monkey Just Released!!! Openfeint Enabled

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsj9xY5Ur_4

This app is being featured by apple under hot new games! (As of October 8!)

Blastoff into space with this hopelessly addictive title from people operating technology. Rocket Monkey offers fast, adrenaline paced fun by allowing you to control an "all business" monkey as he flies through space. This isn't so easy...The pull of gravity from below is strong and the asteroids won't stop coming your way! Help Rocket Monkey escape and navigate through unchartered deep space. Only you can protect him from what lays ahead.

I posted a preview and got a letter saying Rocket Monkey was approved about 20 minutes afterwords! You can track your scores globally and this is going to get competitive. Check out the you tube preview video attached it's totally different from other app previews I've seen. The game footage is being enhanced in the next round. The approval was much faster than typical..only 7 days.

Good Luck All! My score is currently 3rd world wide, but the competition is about to heat up. Who is the best? Hope you like the music BTW.

iTunes Link
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331038574&mt=8

Lastly, some people asked about the Rocket Monkey story
Is confessions of a friend parts 1-3 about Rocket Monkey? Check it out and send me a PM if you think so.
http://solvethesystem.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

-J
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0048.PNG (184.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rocketMonkeyPerforated_fixed.jpg (89.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png IMG_0049.PNG (116.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Tech Gamer; 10-08-2009 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: youtube embed, apple feature
Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 PM

im not trying to be an ass, or anything but besides the graphics, is there anything that makes this diff from icopter and other similar games? quite a few of those are free, so..........
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM

link:http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331038574&mt=8

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
im not trying to be an ass, or anything but besides the graphics, is there anything that makes this diff from icopter and other similar games? quite a few of those are free, so..........
Come on, play the game first, then decide
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 PM

so i'll assume 1 of two things:
1) either nothing is different
or 2
2) you didn't realize I was asking you a question

i haven't decided yet if there is anything different, that is why I asked you the dev....

it's pretty common when someone comes on here and makes a game thats similar and someone asks, what is diff, and they say well.....
this has multiple levels
high quality music
changing backgrounds
worldwide high score system
and so on....
Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 PM
TouchArcade Writer
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
so i'll assume 1 of two things:
1) either nothing is different
or 2
2) you didn't realize I was asking you a question

i haven't decided yet if there is anything different, that is why I asked you the dev....

it's pretty common when someone comes on here and makes a game thats similar and someone asks, what is diff, and they say well.....
this has multiple levels
high quality music
changing backgrounds
worldwide high score system
and so on....
That may as be, but you cannot expect every developer to have played every other game out there, or that they would even want to sit down and give a side by side comparison with other games on their release thread.

They took the time to create a video which is included in the OP, and a long app description lists each of the games features. For a .99 game, that should be enough for anyone interested, or even for someone to man up and TOFTT it.

From what I've seen on TA, it's up to us users to post impressions, the onus is certainly not on the developer, so get off his back.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM

I'll be back with impressions soon.

Last edited by jchampl; 09-18-2009 at 07:35 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM
TouchArcade Writer
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
I'll be back with impressions soon.
Thanks jchampl I will too.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
iPhone 4

Glad to see you guys taking a stab at it for some impressions. I've already seen some people dropping into the leader boards but I'm still in the top 3 at the moment.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM

As a person that has spent more time playing icopter than any person should ever admit, naturally this was a game I had to try out.

The game loaded up and did it's open feint thingy which of course worked perfectly when finding my profile. When opening the game you are presented with a simple menu, no options, or anything to really change the experience of the game. The game loads up quickly, and runs smooth on a 3g. The rocket monkey is a great looking 3d-ish model that does more than your copter does in similar games. It spins and looks at you which is a nice little touch. The game features one cave texture, however it does include a background that scrolls different planets and other space "junk". In a future update I would love to see an additonal 1 or 2 cave textures. The asteroids that you have to avoid, move, adding a challenge to a familiar game. Overall I had a good experience with this game and it's a genre that is interesting to me due to it's potential to be a quick time waster. I like the open feint however I am not 100% sold on the way it is integrated. When I reach an achievement it pauses the game until I close the OF window, and if I am towards the bottom of the cavern there is no recovery. I really wish it had a "game will start when you tap the screen" option like the start of the game did. However this only occurs the first time you reach the achievments, so it does not deter from further playing. Also I would really like to see a story built behind the game, why is this monkey in space, and why is there a frickin rocket strapped to him?!?!? Also collectibles would be AWESOME in this game. What if there was 35 or 40 pieces of your ship that was destroyed that randomly floated around that you had to collect to put it back together. Maybe in each game there is only 2 or 3 pieces so you really have to work to collect them all. Then once you have all the spaceship pieces maybe you can play the game using your ship but obviously the ship would move faster, making it more of an "expert" play. Also I am not an ipod touch person, however you do need to include a screen flip. Also I would love to hear some funny quotes from the monkey here and there, maybe when I come close to hitting something or maybe he can call out the planets as I pass them by. I would really like that.

Overall this is a nice little 99 cent title, it breathes new life into a genre that has been done on the iphone, however there is enough in the game, and enough potential to deserve your 99 cents. If you are a fan of icopter and other similar games, you need this game. If you are looking for a deep involved game this is not it, if you are looking for a fun quick time waster, click buy now. If you are like me, in that I sit on facebook and other sites playing copter, while I should be in class paying attention or at work helping customers, rocket monkey will be right up your alley.

Last edited by jchampl; 09-18-2009 at 08:22 PM..