Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default Sword & Poker

Looks nice! A poker RPG... Anyone tried yet?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Bought it there and have done two battles on the first floor. First impressions are good, its very well presented, and the poker seems to lend itself well to the battle system from the initial two battles. Can see this being worth my money since i like both poker and RPGs id say anyone with a similar liking of the two cant go wrong with this price on the game.

Edit: Also just noticed that there is no way of getting back to the main menu from either campaign or multilayer mode. I could be missing something but if not as i don't think i am this may get annoying over time.

Last edited by Autilian; 01-07-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Looks interesting, might have to try this one
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

I like poker, like puzzles, like RPGs. Was a must-buy. Will check that soon!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

I love poker, so this game could be right up my alley!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM

First impression, this is a lot of fun! Easy to pick up and play, with a simplified video-poker-esque mechanic. There's still some depth to it too, as the later hands give you opportunities to string damage through up to four hands. "Healing" (charge coins) gives a nice little RPG element. Cute graphics, fun gameplay, easy to pick up, and play in short bursts (each encounter last about 2 minutes).

Awesome game for $0.99 -- I'd pick it up for $2.99, even.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Picked this game up and I'm really liking what they've done with it...

It's basically a poker solitaire type game where you have to place cards on the grid to build the best hand, but in this version you are competing against an opponent who is trying to do the same thing. Think Puzzle Quest, but with poker hands.

At first I thought it was going to be pretty basic but I then saw that different weapons gave you different types of strengths... Sure I knew that a better weapon meant you'd do more damage, but there is some pretty decent strategy at play here. For instance, I bought an Iron Hammer and when I did I was actually weaker in my damage for a single pair than I was with my previous weapon, but I was a LOT stronger in a Flush. This was even cooler when I realized that I was also weak on things like four of a kind. You see, this weapon is a beast on flushes and three of a kinds, but weaker on other things. I really liked this aspect of the game.

Other weapons also give you some advantages when you create a certain hand. You might get to paralyze you opponent when you get a three of a kind for instance, gaining you an extra turn. Some of your enemies will also carry these types of strengths and weaknesses so it's key to know where they are and try to not open up the board for their strengths.

I could pretty much guess a lot of what the game was going to be like, and for the buck I would have been very happy with that. But for the extra little thought that went into the weapons and enemies, I'm VERY happy.

A little more story would have ben nice for the game, and I'd love to see some achievements added (I always love achievements!)... but at the sale price right now I'm looking at this game to be my favorite game I've picked up this week (and I'm usually good for about ten games a week).

If the idea of the game play is at all interesting to you (and a look at the basic screen shots should tell you what is up) I'd grab it. You'll find that there is a very nice strategy game hidden under the basics.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM

One thing I have noticed about the game that I'm not a fan of is the small pictures that represent the special powers you can get with certain weapons. The pictures are so small there is no way to even know what they are...

This also brings up the point that you can't go back to a menu to explain what these do anyway.

So far this hasn't been a huge issue, but I know it will get there. I've sent an email to the devs and we'll see what type of answer comes back on this. But I'm liking the game a lot so far...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM

WTF, giving me an unable to purchase error

NM, you can't purchase from that link anymore, had to do a search in the app store and get it from there

Last edited by lacedolphin; 01-07-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

Geat game, well worth the .99 price. I am actually surprised how well done this is. The idea seemed interesting but the game actually works as well which is great.