Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default 19.99$ GAME SECTION on APP STORE?!

here is an info i found on pocket gamer.

"Apple planning $19.99 games section on App Store

Apple is planning to introduce a premium games section to its App Store where it will sell a range of iPhone games for $19.99, sources tell PocketGamer.biz.

However, the initiative will only be open to a restricted number of large publishers, rather than the thousands of smaller developers currently selling their titles on the main App Store.

The rumour has been buzzing for a few months now - we even included it in our predictions for 2009 feature - but our sources suggest that it's now actually happening.

There are no details on timescale, although Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), traditionally held in June, may be one likely launch date. However, it could be announced at a separate games-focused event.

We contacted Apple for its response, but the company reiterated its policy of not commenting on rumours and speculation.

Representatives from EA Mobile and Gameloft - two of the publishers likely to be included in any such initiative - also refused to comment.

From some viewpoints, introducing a premium games section to the App Store makes sense. Apple is keen to pitch iPhone and iPod touch as potential DS and PSP killers, but before they make the necessary investment in higher quality games, large publishers will surely want higher price points and more guarantee that these titles won't get buried in the App Store crowd.

However, the move may alienate the many indie developers who've been flocking to iPhone, while it's a great unknown how popular $19.99 iPhone games would be among consumers. It seems we'll be finding out, though."

my god, this has got be a rumor! three simple questions for you here:

1) would you pay that kind of cash for a game?
2) if so - what kind of game?
3) and which one you bought already is worth for you 19.99 and you would pay for it that amount of money?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Rolando was worth $19.99 to me
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM

i wouldn't pay 19.99 for some of the crap they release now, i want a full flawless game rather than a demo crippled piece of shovelware
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Woah!!! Awesome!! This is actually a great idea!!

To answer your question I think I would have easily payed $20 for both rolando of payback. They're so great!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
i wouldn't pay 19.99 for some of the crap they release now, i want a full flawless game rather than a demo crippled piece of shovelware
Hopefully thats what we'll get if there is a $19.99 section
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 AM

I'd pay $20 for Payback... Anyway, can't all developers charge $1-$999? So what's this special section? Sounds just it's just a section on the app store where Apple will advertise good games.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
qft!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker3292 View Post
I'd pay $20 for Payback... Anyway, can't all developers charge $1-$999? So what's this special section? Sounds just it's just a section on the app store where Apple will advertise good games.
i thought for about it to, maybe there is a limit for game (don't know, just asking)?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 AM

There is no game on the app store that I would pay $20 for.

For $20 I want a big ass game with the best graphics that can be produced on the iphone or I can just buy a DS and PSP and spend $20 on games there.

Iphone is for smaller, cheap games.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 AM

Should be just a search category, eg like the top 25, but called Premium. Must be open to any devs, but Apple use artistic judgement to weed out the crap... Any crap they can put on the normal listing at $19.95 if the dev wishes. But I don't like the 'EA' and big publishers only thing. I'm not a dev, but if I came up with a wicked idea, recruited a team of tallented individuals to implement it, sweated over it, fought for app store approval and Toucharcade forum members were stoked to 500+ post threads on the game, I'd be pissed if apple would let me go in the premium bin. For this reason I think this wont happen.

I want Track Mania for the iPhone!!!! Like that old classic 'Stunts' but far better. Fast fun racing game with multiplayer and jumps, brilliant level editor. I'd pay $24.99 easy for this.