Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Rogue Touch

Anyone know how the new Rogue Touch is going to be different than the free version of Rogue that has already been ported?

There are a few bugs in the free version, but it is actually a decent port and I have been playing it a bunch. If the new version that is coming out is just the same though with just a little more polish, what is the point?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennfusion View Post
Anyone know how the new Rogue Touch is going to be different than the free version of Rogue that has already been ported?

There are a few bugs in the free version, but it is actually a decent port and I have been playing it a bunch. If the new version that is coming out is just the same though with just a little more polish, what is the point?
I know quite a bit about it, as the author of Rogue Touch

The free version of Rogue was released by gandreas about a month into our development, and nearly made us drop the project until we actually played their version. That was a quick port of Darwin Rogue for OSX as far as I can determine. It does have several bugs, is missing a number of features of the original Rogue (you can't throw potions at your enemies for example) and is nowhere near as playable as Rogue Touch.

We wrote our code from scratch, which gives us a more stable and smoother performing game (unfortunately it took a lot longer, but the results will speak for themselves once Apple approves it). As you might have noticed from the video we've added a lot of extra touches, polish, and animations to actions that make the game even more enjoyable. Our monster list has a couple of notable differences out of the gate, and we've added several new items in each magical category.

The real difference is that we're supporting our game with many planned features and updates at regular intervals (new features beyond the original game of Rogue). We will also definitely fix any identified bugs instead of leaving them for months as "the competition" has.

I hope you and other roguelike fans give Rogue Touch a shot. I've been playtesting it daily over the last month as our builds have matured and Rogue Touch has become hands down my favorite version that I've played in my near 25 years of playing Rogue. It's basically the game I envisioned in my head while playing the DOS version years ago!

If you try it and disagree then I'm open to your suggestions to make it even better
Old 02-16-2009, 06:23 PM

I suppose the point is the polish.

The developers of the new version have a website with a forum, and seem like decent folks. If you're curious about it, you could pop in and ask.

From what little I've read, it looks like the developers of "Rogue Touch" were fairly far along on their project when the other version was released, so they decided to go ahead and complete their rendition anyway.

Apparently, their version was built from the ground-up for the iPhone, and as you mentioned offers a lot more polish than the currently released Rogue.

I've played the free Rogue client that's on the App Store and was happy with it. But the new one definitely looks to have a much friendlier UI and better graphics, sound and controls. The developers also said they included additional items and such. I'll probably pick up the new one, as well, if it's only a couple bucks.

Last edited by BadYeti; 02-16-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Err...it looks like the dev posted during the minute or two while I was writing this. Just ignore my post. :)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

BadYeti, thank you for the kind words!

Now, I really shouldn't put down the currently available Rogue. If there was no other option and I was not a developer I'd probably still be playing it too. It's a shame that it came out first, but there it is (at least there aren't 37 versions of it like Sudoku!). Let me say if you find the free rogue port serviceable, you should really love what we've put together...

Apple is notorious for leaving us developers in the dark during the app review process, but with any luck you should be able to purchase Rogue Touch sometime this week
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Well thanks for the responses. I will wait to see what the reviews are like. As I am much more of a *band player than a Rogue player, I can't see paying $2.99 for something that is even 70% the same, but free.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Moria and Angband. I didn't get into Nethack quite as much. I'm really quite interested in how Rogue Touch turns out. There's a certain "je ne sais quoi" of the simplicity and muscle-memory-rhythm of tactile keyboard presses that makes roguelike games the way they are. If Rogue Touch manages to recreate this feel in an elegant touch way, I'll definitely be a buyer!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 AM

What kind of game is this? Dungeon Crawler? Tons of dungeons, replayability, equipment?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
What kind of game is this? Dungeon Crawler? Tons of dungeons, replayability, equipment?
The original Rogue had only one goal... to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor. That is your current mission in Rogue Touch as well, but there could be additional missions in the future (we're not ready to discuss that yet ). The dungeons themselves are randomly generated and magic is randomized upon each new game's start (meaning that red potion that healed you in the previous game may actually be poison in the next one you start).

You might have been able to see from the video, there are several types of equipment: Weapons, Armor, Potions, Scrolls, Wands/Staves, Rings, Food, and your ultimate goal, the Amulet. There are many types of item in each category, and we've added in some new equipment not seen in the original Rogue games. We plan to introduce even more new magical items in each category with each future update.

There are good and bad items throughout the game, and it's up to you to figure out how to identify and best use whatever you find to survive. A potion of confusion is worse than useless if you drink it, but if you throw it at a powerful enemy it will wander around in a daze giving you a chance to run away or kill it somewhat more safely.

As for gameplay and replay value- the randomized nature has kept the original fresh for years. You can compare the gameplay style to Shiren the Wanderer or Izuna on the Nintendo DS. Both of those games are descendants of the original Rogue. Our remake, Rogue Touch, is an attempt to bridge the gap between the old 1980s game of Rogue and these more modern counterparts!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Can I ask how many features of later variants will be in Rogue Touch? I haven't played much of the original Rogue. Are there artifacts/prefixes/postfixes for equipment or boss monsters?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Developer
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by preuve View Post
Can I ask how many features of later variants will be in Rogue Touch? I haven't played much of the original Rogue. Are there artifacts/prefixes/postfixes for equipment or boss monsters?
That's actually touching on some features we have planned for the future so I can't comment a whole lot. Sorry!

As for prefixes/postfixes on weaponry- currently there are only a few that you'll see in a normal game. These would include to-hit and damage modifiers (ie, +1, +1 long sword), cursed or not, and vorpalized (which provides you with special bonuses against a monster type- say a +1, +3 spear of Dragon Slaying)!

We wanted Rogue Touch to be reasonably true to the original rogue experience out of the gate, so the gameplay has not been heavily changed for a normal game. Someone who prefers Nethack or Angband may find this to be a simpler experience, but it actually translates quite well for pick-up-and-play while on the go.

Now, some of our "secrets" in the game allow you to wield equipment more in line with the "artifact" concept- such as a blessed or flaming sword. Some of those secrets are hidden inside version 1.0 that's awaiting approval, and more will be added in future releases. That's about all I can give away on the topic right now