Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Developer

Default Pocket God 1.11 - Something Fishy...

Hey Everyone, I'm a day late but back. This has been a really tough week and I have another really tough week this week with GDC, my birthday (I have to take some time off), a world golf tour deadline and trying to squeeze in another update between everything.

Last week I was able to finally get my other app finally done, its called The Jackie Button and is an app I made with a guy that used to be the head writer for the Howard Stern show. It's a joke app that has 69 gross jokes and 69 Jackie sounds. Fans of Howard Stern will love it, but if you like a good Joke App, you'll probably like it too. I just submitted it tonight but we'll probably hold off on releasing it after its been approved so we can set a date on the Howard Stern show to promote it and come out with a big opening. Once it looks like something is happening with it, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

As far as the new update, I ran into some problems toward the end of last week, I ran out of gas around friday from working on the Jackie Button too late and Saturday ran into some issues with our new animation system. The new system is critical because the fishing animation is too big to fit in the game so we have to break it into parts to animate (Rod, Bobber, Splash, Pygmy, String) and have them all animate together seamlessly, we started the new system with the Tree animations in A Mighty Wind! but this update really pushed it. We had to mix keyframed animated objects with dynamically positioned parts like the string and the bobber and we also ran into some math issues with being able to horizontally flip the key framed animations from flash when the pygmy faces right and left. Turns out that the flash skew transforms are so hacky that I never had time to figure out how to convert it into a usable matrix for the game. Allan ended up animating right and left versions of all our animations which took a lot of time and since all the animations are doubles, it took a while to tweak everything so it looks ok. I really need to fix it this week in order to keep him sane

Because of these issues we ended up not finishing the update until late tuesday night, we submitted around 3:00am psd. Hopefully they will release next monday but it might be tuesday or wednesday. We'll try our hardest to get back on schedule. Now that the Jackie Button is done, we will have more time to focus on Pocket God again. We also learned our lesson about being optimistic about the amount we can do in a weekend. We took it for granted that the previous updates went through so easy. We have to be more strategic from now on.

About the actual update, of course its fishing, we wanted to add more of a game too it, but currently its an interactive fishing rod that the pygmy can throw in the water and catch fish with, the bobber is interactive, so you can drag it right and left. The shark can also grab the bobber and drag the pygmy into the water. This might be one of those features that we refine later on, because I think its really cool but we need time to make a good game out of it.

This week we will be implementing Open Feint, we will probably add it in its simplest form. Its mainly an experiment to see if people like it. if it works out, we will start integrating it more directly into the game. We like it because it gives us the ability to add welcome messages and news directly into the game and also gives us leaderboards once we gets stats implemented and we hope it will eventually allow us to build a cool shared island experiences among players. We'll have to see what makes sense, but we wanted to get it in before the end of the month to be apart of their beta. Keep in mind that in its current form, it will not effect the game play at all, if people react negatively to it, we arent afraid to pull it or make adjustments to make it cooler. Danielle at Aurora Fient has been really cool to us, I think if we want to contribute new features to it, they would be happy to help us out.

That said, Open Fient will not be the official Update this weekend. I'm trying to think of a clue....

Let's just say the Pygmies will have something up with their pants.

MODERATOR NOTE:
A small request...!

Let's try to not turn this in to another Pocket God thread with people just postcount++ posting stupid stuff like "OMG LOL!!!" it makes these threads really hard to read to find any actual worthwhile comments, and we get a ton of reports as people report these content-less posts as spam... so please, do us a favor.

Last edited by Eli; 03-26-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Added request for actual posts with content in this thread.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

First post woopwoopwoop. Happy birthday too =D
Old 03-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bat Outta Hell View Post
First post woopwoopwoop. Happy birthday too =D
Thanks!

It would be awesome if everyone can help us with reivews on itunes again, everytime we add a new update our review counts starts back at zero again.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 AM

whoa happy birthday
looking forward to the fishy update XD
Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
Thanks!

It would be awesome if everyone can help us with reivews on itunes again, everytime we add a new update our review counts starts back at zero again.
Have you thought of making the game optionally 3d?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu

Happy birthday, dave! Can't wait for the fishies!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 AM

Happy birthday dave!

And I'm pretty damn excited about this update.
=]]

Something up with their pants...
Humn...
Customizable pants?
Parachute pants? (jk)

Or...
Females?
(Seeing as attire would change...)

Edit:
P.S.
You should really include a link in pocketblog whenever you open a new thread.

Last edited by Jubakuba; 03-26-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 AM

Happy Birthday! Have the pygmies blow out a candle for you or something :P
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 AM

My best birthday fishes!! Ehm... wishes.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:23 AM

Looking forward to it! Happy b-day, Dave!

Closed Thread