★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iDOS 2.0.1 is available (Pulled again)

01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
iDOS 2.0.1 is available (Pulled again)

We had a fairly long thread about iDOS 1.0, but I think it might be better to open a new thread (Do let me know if this is not a good idea) because most of that discussion doesn't apply any more -- from now on iTunes file sharing is turned off.

That means you will not be able to install windows nor games from your old disc collection. However, it has quite a lot of new features to compensate for the loss:

- 6 shareware games from 3D Realms, including famous titles like wolf3d, duke1, duke2, major striker. Thanks to the virtue of good old DOS games, the app is still very small.

- A super simple game launcher. You can play games without any knowledge about dos commands. All games are properly configured, so you don't have to tweak dospad.cfg anymore. For expert users, you can still use command line to launch games and edit dospad.cfg right in app.

- Virtual gamepad/joystick. With iDOS 1.0, you may not be able to get to floor 3 in wolf3d, but now you can!

- Better landscape mode. And now iPhone has portrait mode interface.

- Bluetooth keyboard support. It is for text based games only.

iDOS is now free. Visit iDOS in AppStore.

Note:
1. For people who already own iDOS 1.0, please back up your binary
before update.
2. iDOS runs best on iPad. Minimum Requirement: iPhone 3GS or later
models.

Q: Why not submit it as a separate app?
A: First of all, if I had a better name for it, I'd definitely submit it as a new app More importantly, like many members commented on iDOS 1.0, it is not really that good to play. It is for retro gaming, so anyway we need an update to address the playability issue. You may loss the ability to upload games, but you can put your favorite ones inside before update. It's very safe that way.

I am convinced, you guys have a good point. Let's see if we can have a separate app.

Update: Now I am not sure whether you guys (v1.0 owners) still need a separate app. Do let me know.

Update 2: Last bow of iDOS

Last edited by litchie; 01-21-2011 at 11:52 PM.
01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Cool! How? I thought Apple demolished IDos? Score one for the little guy [I hope].

01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
So one can only play the games that are available on there? Are they going to be adding more?

01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Downloaded before it gets pulled again for some odd reason.

Tester of over 30 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudgenudge View Post
Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
So what exactly won't we be able to do without File Sharing?

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Nothing to see here.

Favourites: KotOR, Gridlee, iDOS, Deus Ex: The Fall, Gamebook Adventures, Baldur's Gate EE, GTA: Vice City

Last edited by Dahak; 01-18-2011 at 09:22 PM.
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow! Amazing update! I wish we had all this for v1.0. At least it doesn't wipe out games I have already installed.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
I missed this the first time around, is it even worth it (not price wise) without iTunes file sharing?

Or is there maybe some way to "backdoor" a file in?
Strange news!!! Okay can't find it by typing "idos" but can be accessed via "fastintelligence"... Downloading!

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
At least it appears to be a separate app, and isn't triggering the update notification.
That's what I thought too but it replaced v1.0 when I synced my phone with iTunes.

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ