Support our Sponsors:

Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 PM
iPad

Default Slice hd

Hey everyone, I'm the CEO of Twitchgames. We developed a game called SLICE HD. I know I'm biased but its a cool game (if you don't mind a little blood.)

video
Twitchgames.com
Slice on Facebook
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Hmm, looks interesting. And unique.

Will give it a go. But then that doesn't mean much given the amount of apps I get

Update:

Okay this is indeed interesting. Very simple game but some well thought out puzzles.

If you mess up you go back a level which initially felt annoying but I don't mind it now - it makes the blades feel *sharper*.

Simple, enjoyable game and I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Last edited by Treefiddy; 03-24-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 PM
iPad

Hey thanks, Treefiddy!

After level 13, since the levels are a lot harder, you don't go back a level when you get lacerated.

Do you think we should make that true for all levels? I do like what you said about it making the blades *sharper*
Old 03-25-2011, 06:01 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Hey thanks, Treefiddy!

After level 13, since the levels are a lot harder, you don't go back a level when you get lacerated.

Do you think we should make that true for all levels? I do like what you said about it making the blades *sharper*
Well it can be annoying initially - you go back to one you've done and take it a little casually and... blood - back again. But I don't mind that so much because you should ALWAYS be careful around knives

tbh though I only got to level 21 - the one with the six knives arranged radially.

I quite like the going back because it adds a real consequence to the artificial one (the blood) - it reminds me of the original Alien v Predator where there was no save game option and one mistake REALLY cost you compared to the spamming F6 to autosave and lack of intensity in Half Life...

Couple of thoughts:

1. What is the aim - is it to complete all the levels? Maybe have the best run without cutting yourself (two modes - complete mode with going backwards for a fail and hardcore which allows you one mistake). Maybe it doesn't need one above amusement.

2. Achievements posted to Twitter like "I survived 100 knives". "Bloody Fingers" - cut 20 times. "One-step forward..." - fail twice in a row etc. "Invincible" - beat the game without even a nick".

3. Graphics. They are clean and functional but since they are metal, try and look at adding specular highlights or some sort of generic reflection - something that changes as the knives move.

Last edited by Treefiddy; 03-25-2011 at 06:19 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefiddy View Post
Couple of thoughts:

1. What is the aim - is it to complete all the levels? Maybe have the best run without cutting yourself (two modes - complete mode with going backwards for a fail and hardcore which allows you one mistake). Maybe it doesn't need one above amusement.
My thinking was that once you figure out all the levels and beat the game then it's all about how fast you can beat the game and how few times you get sliced. Here's the Leader board. Brian, the guy on the top, beat the game in 4 minutes and only got sliced 4 times!! Blows my mind.

Quote:
2. Achievements posted to Twitter like "I survived 100 knives". "Bloody Fingers" - cut 20 times. "One-step forward..." - fail twice in a row etc. "Invincible" - beat the game without even a nick".
You mean the game app actually post to your twitter feed?

Quote:
3. Graphics. They are clean and functional but since they are metal, try and look at adding specular highlights or some sort of generic reflection - something that changes as the knives move.
Yeah we tried that at first but the game really has to be at 60hz or it doesn't feel right. It's on our list to do that. I even fantasized about real reflections from the front camera in iPad 2

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Here's a game that could only work on a touch screen, and only on a multi-touch screen at that!

After a couple of screens it really does feel like you're sliding real blades around. Really sharp blades!

In a way, it could have been a Saw movie tie-in, except everything is a bit too clean and shiny and new looking, which is a great style really, but perhaps consider some grime and rust and old bloodstains for future levels. How about the occasional spider or bug scuttling across the screen to cause the unwary player to move their finger at the wrong moment? There could even be some kind of story, possibly branching challenges or the reduction of a finger each slice - so you eventually can't progress because you run out of available multi-touch touches due to loss of virtual fingers.

My only gripe - I tapped the letter S, top left, around about level 20, not realising it would reset all my progress and start from level 1 again. Ah well, live and learn.

Congratulations with this, really using the touch screen to do something different and a very playable and enjoyable game too. And, yes, I have jumped a few times at the "surprises" on some levels. Nice.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
iPad

Default Clean Style

Thanks Planetshooter, It's funny you mention the clean style. Our artists kept wanting to make the dirty knives (or at least weathered) and add organic elements. I forced the clean surgical style because it adds this feeling of intent. Believe it or not Slice has a backstory that guides decisions.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
My thinking was that once you figure out all the levels and beat the game then it's all about how fast you can beat the game and how few times you get sliced. Here's the Leader board. Brian, the guy on the top, beat the game in 4 minutes and only got sliced 4 times!! Blows my mind.
Yep, I only saw that once I beat it myself.

I like the idea of a hardcore mode though - one cut and you have to start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetshooter View Post
I tapped the letter S, top left, around about level 20, not realising it would reset all my progress and start from level 1 again.
Me too.

Quote:
You mean the game app actually post to your twitter feed?
That was the original idea I suppose but I'm thinking that the last time that actually worked well (Canabalt), twitter was less mature than it is now. Even Sword and Sworcery was getting some criticism for posting to twitter (not automatically, either). A game like "The Incident" just about works because it has humour associated with it but it's generally worth avoiding I suspect.
Is it easy to integrate with Game Centre though?

Quote:
I even fantasized about real reflections from the front camera in iPad 2
Brilliant idea, even if infeasible.

Another thought could be to add a parallax effect - tilt or shake the device and the background and foreground move separately. You could considering having each knife on a different layer though that would integrate it into the gameplay (make it necessary before you start interacting) rather than just eye candy and change the nature of the puzzles. It would add another mechanic to it though and give scope for more varied levels.

Have a look at Pottery HD for a good implementation of the effect (and utterly superfluous).

Last edited by Treefiddy; 03-28-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
iPad

We tried adding that 3D effect like Holo toy. It worked but it made the blades seem lose rather than communicating depth.

Also tried a bounce to the blades, like they were on springs. Nice effect but it made the 'machine' seem less precise, thus less menacing.

Someone one on the team really wanted to shake the ipad to see what directions the knives will move without using your fingers. Again, I was hung up on the feeling of precision.

Maybe some future levels will use gravity to move some blades, while you use your fingers to move others.

I do want to give the parallax another shot. Maybe we just have to tune is so it feels 3 dimensional rather than just loose.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The game was updated with additional free levels and an IAP level pack.

The level pack is great, but I can't find a way to manually select puzzles within it. I can either start from the beginning or continue the last puzzle. Am I missing something?

(normal level selection screen doesn't show the bonus pack)