Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iOS Apps

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Escargot Studios, LLC makers of multiple craigslist apps?

Hi, I am just a nobody that is looking for information on craigslist apps on the applestore. I cannot find good information from google so I resort to this forum where I frequent.

Now this company Escargot Studios, LLC has a broken web site that doesn't even work. They have about three different craigslist apps on the app store as far as I know, and a few free versions of it. To me, they are all the same.

My question is this: how did three of the same apps under different names get approved? If there is any differences, what are they, I can't seem to find them for myself? On a side note, some reviewers on the app store says they are 'forced' to review the app. Is this not a shady practice by developers?

Why do they not answer e-mails when the description in the app says to email them if we have any questions?

How does a shady company like this even stay in business?

Here is the list of apps I'm talking about:
1) Craigslist Ultimate + Notifications
2) CraigsPro+ : Craigslist + Notifications + Photo Wall + Posting + Photo previews
3) Craiglist Pro for iPhone and iPod

;tldr - I want to know the differences between the multiple craigslist apps by the same developer, and why they can't answer their frickin email.

Last edited by speeed; 04-28-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

~70 views and not one person has an opinion about this other than me?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM

what the heck is your problem..? and why is this even in this forum.. what has thid todo with app developement..

why are they shady, why do they not responde to your email, and why are their craiglist apps so similar..

how on earth should anyone answere thoose questions to you? i mean seriously.. swtich on the grey matter up there for a second..

ask the developer.. if they don't answere well then forget it.. whats the point to get upset about a developer who has 3 similar apps in his portfolio?
i know a few developer who pushes out one clock app after the other, or who have dozens of image sliding puzzles etc.. so what?

don't buy from thoose shady guys and be done with it.. leave a bad review if you think their product does not work as advertised and possible go to apple..

whats the point of posting on touch arcade about this?!.. there is none.. thats the reason you don't get a response.. well now you got one..
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Wow what is YOUR problem? As I stated before, I'm just a nobody, A CONSUMER, looking for the right app to buy. Is this forum really only about app development? The title says iPhone and iTouch developers, so I thought it would be appropriate for developers to comment on the differences about their app! Can a moderator move this thread to the appropriate forum that they see fit?

They are shady because:

1) According to (real) reviews the app prompts users to rate the app 5 stars in the app store "so they can continue to provide a better experience." Reading reviews, users say it is annoying to have to submit a review every time the app updates them before the prompt goes away. This is bad business practice, forcing your users to rate your app.

2) Excuse the language, but how the **** should I know why they aren't responding. Once again, I turn to developers to ask why they advertise their email for support only to be ignored, put on a waiting list, or what have you. (I waited about a week for their response.)

3) I don't know why they are releasing such similar apps, that's why I'm asking. Are you even thinking before you posted your response to my legitimate question? Why don't you re-read my post or check out the app descriptions before making an ass out of yourself. The app descriptions are basically the same features, just reworded and rearranged from what I can tell, that's why I'm asking for feedback from the users of this app or the developers. The pictures are almost the same also, except the color and font of one of their apps.

I tried emailing the developer. Why should I forget it when I am on the market for a good craigslist app? I'm a consumer and I have a right to post on these forums and ask questions, who the **** are you to tell me to forget about it? I'm righteously upset at the fact they have three of the similar/same apps on the app store and I want to know which is updated or supported the most and also what the differences are! Why should I spend my money on one app if the other is going to be more supported and the original discontinued?

As I said in my original post, the point of this post is to seek answers from an iOS app forum. To get answers where google didn't help me. Obviously you can't help me either, so why are you even posting in my thread?

Forum moderators, please move this thread to where you see fit. I didn't come here to start a war with some forum user who obviously doesn't understand my frustration.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeed View Post
My question is this: how did three of the same apps under different names get approved?
Apple approves thousands of apps per day. Similar apps get through all the time. It sucks, but it's a fact of life on the App Store.

Quote:
If there is any differences, what are they, I can't seem to find them for myself?
You have exactly the same amount of information we do. You need to look at the descriptions, reviews, etc., and decide what the facts are.

Quote:
On a side note, some reviewers on the app store says they are 'forced' to review the app. Is this not a shady practice by developers?
Nobody is forced to review an app. They may be nagged inside the app to do so, or encouraged to review it, so that the developer is equally encouraged to provide a free update to them. Mutual back scratch.

Quote:
Why do they not answer e-mails when the description in the app says to email them if we have any questions?
Because they don't care about their customers? Or they're already out of business, and are just leaving the apps up to bring in whatever they can. Thousands of abandoned apps on the store already. Most devs don't earn anything, so their apps get abandoned.

Quote:
How does a shady company like this even stay in business?
Like I said, maybe they aren't in business anymore. If you don't trust them, and you can't figure out which of their apps to buy, you probably should look elsewhere for this type of app.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Not to quarrel with you guys, but I'm just looking for user reviews of whoever may have bought these apps. Apparently hundreds of people are buying them as there are new reviews hourly. (Due to the "nagging inside the app" to do so)

They are not out of business, they have just released an update on the 25th or 26th, depending which of the three apps they have used.

I own an iPhone, where else can I look for a good craigslist app when all the ones available on the app store have lesser ratings than this company? I don't want a sub-par experience. These three apps have tons of features, I just want to know what's up with the same functions.

I have even made a quick excel chart to check off what each app has that the others don't. They all offer the same thing with the exception of one that doesn't allow you to have push notifications.

Craigslist Ultimate has JUST been released, it's on version 1.1.1 right now. Are you suggesting that these other previous two apps are being abandoned because they are starting to slow down in income, so the developer is just refreshing their app under a new name?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not to quarrel with you guys, but I'm just looking for user reviews of whoever may have bought these apps.
I think you'd have better luck on a site devoted to iOS apps, not iOS games.

Quote:
They are not out of business, they have just released an update on the 25th or 26th, depending which of the three apps they have used.
Then they're not out of business, they're just ignoring your email.

Quote:
I own an iPhone, where else can I look for a good craigslist app when all the ones available on the app store have lesser ratings than this company? I don't want a sub-par experience. These three apps have tons of features, I just want to know what's up with the same functions.

I have even made a quick excel chart to check off what each app has that the others don't. They all offer the same thing with the exception of one that doesn't allow you to have push notifications.
They're all under $2, and, as you say, they all share most of the same features. Just pick one. If it sucks, you're out the cost of a large soda.

Quote:
Craigslist Ultimate has JUST been released, it's on version 1.1.1 right now. Are you suggesting that these other previous two apps are being abandoned because they are starting to slow down in income, so the developer is just refreshing their app under a new name?
No, if they're all being updated, they're obviously supporting all of them. If you don't like that they're selling the same app three times, don't buy from them, and go with a different app. Life's too short to be questioning which $2 CraigsList app to buy for more than five minutes.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 AM

I think perhaps these forums have greeted the OP with a bit more hostility than warranted. However (@speeed): You ask a lot of questions, and I guess the answer is simply:

How can we possibly know?

As far as I know Escargot Studios do not have a profile in these forums. The rest of us are basically as clueless as you are, actually even more so unless we've downloaded one (or more) of the apps in question. Your two first posts seem to suggest that the game-developers of the Touch Arcade forums should somehow be familiar with the operation of any random developer in the world...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

All the questions just go back to one question: Why is there three of the same thing, and why can't the developers make it clearer what the differences are (if any?) How is that demanding at all? This is a forum where people go to find information about apps for the iOS platform am I right or wrong? I hoped that people would have seen these apps and gave me some insight to how they like it and their experience with it, just like any other game on this forum.

I kind of knew that they didn't have a profile in this forum, but there is literally no reliable information about these apps on the internet (as far as I know.) So what is wrong with me starting a thread about it?

I admit my post was frustrating and generalized to other game developers (the question about not answering emails if you are advertising support) It's just irritating, is it not?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
This is a forum where people go to find information about apps for the iOS platform am I right or wrong?
Actually, this is a forum for developers to discuss matters pertaining to iOS app development/marketing and other development matters.