★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: CAVE CO.,LTD.
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 282.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.19
  • Price: $11.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.9 (8)
App description: ### CRITICAL ACCLAIM ###
"DeathSmiles is a thrilling ride from beginning to end. Its crazy japanese visual style combined with a mash up of rock and techno music (including a cameo from tubular bells) is a joy to behold. Combine that with intense shooter action, item upgrades, a bizarre storyline, and multiple endings, and you have one of the best shooters on the AppStore, joining its brothers and sisters from CAVE as the best of the best. "

-TouchGen

"This shmup can be accessible to greenhorns, or a rock-hard mettle test for danmaku veterans, meaning fans and curious onlookers should both jump right in."

-Pocketgamer

### DEATHSMILES ###
From the Xbox 360, to the iPhone, hit Gothic Horror Shooter Deathsmiles finally arrives on the iPhone and iPod touch! Once more, the Angels descend upon Gilverado!

NEW GAME MODE + PRACTICE MODES ADDED!
In addition to the Arcade Version of Deathsmiles, Deathsmiles iPhone includes a Smartphone Mode with a new character and original story!
This mode is packed full of content sure to satisfy those who have played Deathsmiles before, and those who are just starting out. Practice Modes are also included for learning the stages!

REVAMPED CHARACTER DESIGNS

BRAND NEW MUSIC!
Brand new music for your quest through Gilverado!
Original Arcade BGM also included!

POWER UP YOUR CHARACTER WITH EQUIPMENT AND ITEMS!
Players can power up their Princess by using equipment and items bought from Sakuras Shop, as well as those dropped by enemies in stages throughout the game.

COMPATIBLE WITH GAME CENTER
Rankings are included for each game mode and character!
Compete with players all over the world for high scores, and unlock achievements by completing in-game challenges!
Go for a full achievement list!

MULTIPLE CONTROL SETTINGS
Several button layouts are available in the Options so that even beginners can handle complicated controls.

A GUINNESS-RECOGNIZED SHOOTER!
Beautiful graphics, complete with waves of bullets that fill the screen!

ABOUT DEATHSMILES
Deathsmiles is CAVEs horizontal-scrolling shooter released to arcades in 2007. With its signature gothic horror setting and charismatic characters, Deathsmiles was ported to the Xbox 360 in Japan 2009, and released in North America via Aksys Games in 2010, and Europe via Rising Star Games in 2011.

### IMPORTANT ### : Please read the below before purchasing.
This game will only run on iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3rd Gen and later devices, as well as iPad (iOS4.3 and up). Other devices are incompatible.
If you are unsure whether your device is compatible with the application, please download the LITE version and confirm that it works on your device.
Since this application uses a significant amount of memory, it is possible that it will crash when device memory is low. If this happens, please consult our Support Page.
Turning the expand/shrink accessibility function "ON" may interfere with in-game play.

### More info about CAVE here:
CAVE WORLD Official HP: http://www.cave-world.com
CAVE WORLD Official Twitter: http://twitter.com/cave_world_en
CAVE Official Facebook URL: http://www.facebook.com/CAVECoLtd

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id436977375?mt=8

Note: Some of the posts (90% of the "INSTABUY!!!" posts) were moved to Upcoming thread to keep this thread clean and make it easier to find actual game impressions. As always, the moved posts were selected in an extremely fair way (heads it stays in, tales it moves!!)
07-06-2011, 05:03 AM
I am quite excited for this game, been waiting for a long time for this game.

07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Instant buy without a doubt

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!
07-06-2011, 05:39 AM
I have to ask yet again: why no universal (or even as much as standalone iPad) support from Cave? All of their games would clearly benefit from being played on a larger screen.
07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Btw, Vally, are you planning a guide for this as well? Enjoyed immensely the former ones.
07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
And Dodonpachi. Not to mention they're huge battery sucks... but can you blame them? There is an intense amount of stuff going on at any one time.

So excited for this release.

Drucifer posted a scoring guide to Deathsmiles already on the Bullet Hell Fanatics group.
The guide is really in depth too. I've been playing it a bit on the 360 but I still need to take time to better understand the scoring.

I've been waiting for this since it was announced so I'll be downloading as soon as it hits the App Store. I was a bit worried about how it will control but I think Cave will pull it off.
07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
As for iPad release and retina support, Cave told in their Ustream broadcasting a week ago that it's because of the small memory(RAM). Both iPad2 and iPhone4 have 512MB of RAM but still not enough. If rumoured iPhone5 has enough RAM for retina support, they will consider. No mention about iPad support or universal release.
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Anyone on the edge about the game should check out Touchgen's review

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-06-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: dont copy paste articles from other sites. Post a link instead
07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
The Castlevaniaesque music and visuals are drawing me in but there is so much clutter on screen with all those (dare I say) unnecessary numbers and skulls.
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
So excited, this is the one release I've seriously been waiting for all year... Gonna stay up tonight, buy it the minute it hits the AppStore, and don't be surprised if no one hears from me for weeks...

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Cardinal Quest 2, Pixel Dungeon, Asdivine Hearts, Super Retro Bros., Storm The Train
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid