1-bit Ninja - imagine the original Gameboy had a SFX chip and touch controls worked!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kode80, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    For those that don't follow my Twitter (@kode80, here are 2 new screenshots I posted last night. These show the unlockable perspective-mode, particularly cool when watching your replays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know i've been moaning about the control pad but i personally LOVE the old skool retro look of Gameboy style graphics, look stunning.

Plus with any game, back in the 80's or on the X Box 360 in the year 2011. Its all about gameplay, graphics may look basic/mono/poor or whatever you think (To me they look superb) but its all about the gameplay.

So thats why i'm going on about the d-pad as the graphics look stunning. But either way i cant wait to play this game and will be getting it whatever. Just hope its soon ! ;)

3. NLjaan

NLjaan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Very cool idea!

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game looks amazing and I must say I'm partial to game from Florida devs ;)

Followed on twitter :)

5. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Maybe this game hits a soft spot because I loved the original gameboy. I had one right when they came out and one of my favorite portable gaming memories is still Samus Returns.

Aside from the 3d twist I love how it really seems to capture the look of the old gameboy.

Can't wait to play it!

6. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I don't like the icon, but everything else seems great.
    Day one purchase for me.

7. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    definitely buying this on day one. I have fond memories of donkey kong and wario land on my game boy, so stuff like this really piques my interest.

ps - definitely change that icon. I realize you're aiming for the cartridge look, but icons like that don't sell well on the app store. I'd suggest something that either focuses on the lead character or the 2d/3d gameplay. also, keep the icon retro - that's the main appeal of the game, right?

8. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Nicely explained. I know this whole controversy will turn off a few customers, but I personally like the way you explained that the game is built specifically for the control scheme. Anyways, followed yesterday and retweeted this morning: @nkatti

9. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    +1
    Exactly what I thought when I saw this.

10. packmon

packmon Active Member

Aug 26, 2010
    nice idea about the perspective view idea, gets me curious how will this play out as, instead of just for looks. looking forward for your release

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    True, looks arent always everything, looking forward to this also

12. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
  13. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    I want it !!!

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Me too! :D

15. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    This looks super cool! At first I was like "oh, it's just a platformer with Mario Land graphics" and then the world rotated and I was like "oh, that's a cool effect but wtf is the point?" and then the world rotated revealing secret passages with the depth and I was like "woah, that's AWESOME!"

I say props for trying something new with the control scheme, stick to your guns if you feel it's working and adds something to the puzzle design. People were up in arms about analog sticks and the Wiimote back when they were introduced. :) I've had ideas for a visual-button-less control scheme myself so I'll be interested to see how your exploration of it works out.

Tweetin' the link to your TouchArcade preview to help spread the word!

- Quickdraw

16. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #56 Vinvy, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    Please ignore the people asking for an alt control scheme, it would be like asking for movement control in The Impossible Game, or Cannabalt. Or adding double jump to many platformers not designed for double jump, or god mode to most any game. If the levels are designed intuitivly with the restriction in mind, then you could have something great on your hands. I imagine the whole 3D perspective change to look ahead is a big reason why we can't go back, looking ahead and forcing the player to think strategically with his moves knowing he can't go back is the whole point. Giving us the ability to go back would ruin, the hopefully, clever level design.

That is game design. Just because 90% of platformers, up until cannabalt, copied the hell out of Marios controls doesn't mean every platformer requires marios left right jump controls. Cannabalt should have shown us, restrictions can be fun, if the game is designed around them. All games are about restricting us to challenge us in clever ways, we can never do everything we want, control wise in any game. Tilt to Live and Silverfish are totally different games because of the different restrictions in the controls, if the control schemes were exchanged, both games would be ruined. In the same sense, LoE and 1bN's levels and game designs seem totally different, so exchanging the controls would ruin either game.

17. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    This game looks amazing! I think the majority of the people asking for a "left button" don't realize that the levels are being completely designed with this in mind.

18. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Yeah I was looking at it also, it seems when you rotate to 3D, it is to decide the path you want to take. No point in that if you can go back too. Id like have the game in my hands before I ask for a left button.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This isn't The Impossible Game or Canabalt. You speak as though you have hands-on experience, do you? If not you're just spewing meaningless words that form nothing more than an uninformed opinion. We've all got uninformed opinions here, yours is no better than ours.

20. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Didn't noticed the 3D before. Amazing work!