1-bit Ninja - imagine the original Gameboy had a SFX chip and touch controls worked!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kode80, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Super huge platforming fan here. Will buy this instantly.

I really enjoy platformers with a bit of an exploration feel to it. Not too much by any means, but I think that is what alot of people see here is something so cool that they are going to want to explore. No left will not allow them to do so.

Please keep open the ideas of members here. Game design progression may allow you to add a different control scheme in a version 2 lets say that will multiply the puzzle options on a level.

I guess what I am trying to say is, just please keep that control suggestion in your back pocket instead of throwing it out into the trash ;)

2. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I agree on virtual pads not feeling natural and I'm glad someone going about things differently. Your reasons behind the controls are crystal clear and I'm not sure why some can't see that.

3. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    I caved and added a d-pad to 1-bit Ninja...

:D:p
    [​IMG]

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha very good!

5. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I think you got quite a bit more support on these forums now. Did you mention what type of level format you are using (small or short, worlds or many levels, etc)?

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#66 jak56, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    tbh, im glad you added a dpad. allows for far more complex levels that way.

edit: oh 'twas a joke

7. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    Worlds, with 5 levels a piece. Beat a level to unlock the next. Unlocked levels can be played at will without concerns for lives, however if you play 1-1 the game will automatically keep track of your linear progression until you either lose all lives or start another out-of-sequence level. This means that casual players can beat the game at their own pace but the option is there for a traditional beat-all-levels-in-order-with-X-lives game. Completing the latter will reap some form of reward. ;)

Also, each level contains 5 mega-bits. Collecting all mega-bits in a level will unlock an optional perspective-mode. Perspective mode transforms the camera (and consequently gameplay) into something akin to Little Big Planet and is particularly fun when watching replays.

p.s. yes, the d-pad is a joke

8. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    This game is not Mario, nor is it League of Evil etc. It is a game made from scratch FOR THE CONTROLS, as Vovin rightly said games like Canabalt and The Impossible Game are. His point is that Canabalt does not need a 'left' button because it isn't mario, and neither is this. I haven't played the game, but we don't need to be worrying about going backwards if the game was built without the intention of doing so.

9. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    glad to know that the d-pad was a joke, still very much looking forward to this release :)

10. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    #70 shyguy3, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
    I could care less about the damn D-pad. Regardless of having it or not I'm a huge sucker for these old looking retro type games. As long as the touch controls work well and are responsive than that's good enough for me.

11. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Lol, can it be adjusted? ;)

12. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Tbh, I'd pay $2.99 for this with an optional d-pad, but I'll wait for a 99 cent sale or free if it doesn't. :/

13. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    i love the idea of moving the screen to a 3d/2.5d space to see what is up..

you should take it further like the game FEZ and really utilize that function...

that would be absolutely insane!!!

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Stop asking for a damn d-pad....

15. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    No this isn't the impossible game, and I never said it was, but it also isn't a platformer in the vein of Mario, which is what many want it to be(left and right exploration). I did however say that requesting a left button in this game is similar to asking for improved movement controls in the Impossible Game, or Cannabalt, or Big Buck Hunter Pro, or Duck Hunt. It won't be the same game. How about you request free movement controls in Time Crisis as well, wouldn't it be nice to simply walk behind the card-board cut-out enemies, and destroy the arcade-gallery shooting gameplay.

You can claim my opinion is uninformed, meaningless, or whatever you want, sorry if I upset you so much that you have to attempt to deny me a voice on this forum, But I can see the developer has already confirmed what I said(i hadn't read his posts until after i initially posted), so I don't really care about what you say about me.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I hope this game comes out soon, so that all these stupid requests stop!
    I would love to see more colors, different characters, a Google Maps implementation and another console to run on. Thanks.

17. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    #77 shyguy3, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
    It would kind of defeat the purpose of having a gameboy retro look.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If we're talking about stupid requests then asking for more colours is laughable.

19. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    this looks superb, it could compete with LoE, but i find LoE perfect in the controls department, when dealing with physical controls there's always the posibility of not reaching certain combination, it has nothing to do with touch controls, touch controls are the most precise IMO, including vs keyboard and mouse....

i agree that a back button would be nice, but i guess this game is designed in such way that it doesn't require one, if that's the case, then i'm good and its an insta-buy for me :)

20. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    he's being sarcastic.... you're not too bright are you?