1-bit Ninja - imagine the original Gameboy had a SFX chip and touch controls worked!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kode80, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    Thanks!! Bionic Commando's grappling-hook instead of jump really is a fantastic analogy, wish I'd thought of that! +1 to you. :D

2. -ozh-

-ozh- Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    wont say anything until i try it (the game looks sweet) but it dosnt really make sense to me not to include a d pad or atleast the ability to move backwards, especially in a game that looks like its going to have a lot of secrets hidden in it with the whole 2d to 3d thing

what bionic commando did was something revolutional by leaving out the jump mechanic, it hadnt been seen before.. weve seen plenty of games without d pad controls and they usually don't control as well as games that have them i dont think the two really compare

3. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    Here's a new 1-bit Ninja video showing a complete run through of 1-1. There are a few subtle tweaks between this video and the final version, consider this a pre-release/finished-game spot-the-difference. :D

4. iVoloster

iVoloster Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Insurance
    NY
    That video just got me so pumped for this game, SML for GameBoy is still to this day one of my favorites so this will be a no brainer buy for me.

5. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want to go to there.

6. dizzydank

dizzydank Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Assitant Managing Editor - Games, AppTudes; TV/Mov
    portland, ME
    this looks fantastic... really excited to play this!

7. TanTan

TanTan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    will be the best platformer on ios, hands down. Just please don't stop updating it!

8. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Some developers only update and pursue their games further if they're well received (pizza boy). But sounds like @kode has a lot of love for this title. Can't wait!

Btw, now I see better how the game was developed for the control scheme based on that video.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Dang!!! That looks awesome!!!! Seriously, this is gonna be an insta-buy for me.

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Personally I feel that the iOS platform has proven without a doubt that virtual controls suck. A great game might have enough other qualities to obscure this fact, but virtual controls is the enemy of playability...

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOW!!! I can't wait til this one hits the appstore!!! So glad platformers are making a comeback on the iOS!! =oD

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Very cool video. Will there be audio options (ability to mute music but keep sound effects)?

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    With the exception of dual-stick shooters, IMHO, which absolutely rock on iOS!

14. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Platformers and top down racers that is. But yeah, I'm pumped for this, paper monsters, super kid ninja, and that is all I remember now. Am I missing something.

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I seem to remember another one but I can't remember it.... :/

16. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Is storm in a teacup a platformer?

Back on topic:
    Kode80, can you say how many levels this will have. Also, Do you have a scoring system for levels (time completed, coins taken, enemies killed)?

17. ChuckMe

ChuckMe Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Australia
    :eek: That's level 1-1!?! Congrats Kode80, you have earned every cent of my money.

18. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    1) 1-Bit Ninja
    2) Paper Monsters
    3) Roboto
    4) Storm In a Teacup
    5) Super Kid Ninja
    6) Kung Fu Monk

Not sure if I left any out but these are the ones I'm anticipating the most.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm the opposite. I was anti-iOS because of the touch controls, people were raving about the games they had on their ipod but without any physical buttons i wasnt a fan. That was until i finally tried it and it wasnt as bad as i thought so my initial impressions (without even trying) were wrong.

I've played a lot of games over the months on my ipod touch (have 350+ apps) and it took some getting used to but now i feel i'm great with it. Many games i've completed (Platform/FPS) and they had great controls, to me it depends on the game, theres a few where the controls are bad you cant blame the virtual controls, its how the games created. If touch controls were SOOO bad then there wouldnt be 100000's of games coming out for iOS would there ? Players would drop iOS instantly if it was so bad but instead its getting more and more popular.

That gameplay video for level 1 does look superb, LOVE the graphics/sound and yeah despite criticisms about not going back it does look great.

Just want a release date now ! ;) IF its out next week (???) it'll be the best day ever for platform games with this and Storm in a teacup.

Cant wait to get this

20. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I'm not saying touch controls are bad. I'm saying virtual controls are. Virtual buttons, virtual joypads etc.

Touch and tilt controls can be very efficient if the game is created with this in mind (as they should be).