Universal 100 Rogues (By Fusion Reactions)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, May 4, 2010.

1. tedsanders11

tedsanders11 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Moscow
    Great game! thx!!!

2. WesPaugh

WesPaugh Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    The Software Developer, 100 Rogues
    Rochester, NY
    So hey. Look at that. White Knight is out! And... free!

Enjoy a bug in your favour, for once XD. Also! Enjoy it while it lasts, because I'll be submitting the fix for it as soon as I'm satisfied that the game is stable.

If you've already got the Class from this update, you'll keep it as long as you don't delete the game. If you DO delete the game after the next update comes out, there won't be anything I can do to give it to you if you've already gotten it free. You'll have to buy it.

In the meantime, enjoy! Fix will also correct the lack-of-music issue. iPod Music does still work via the system menu, and if you really really love our music, you can download our soundtrack to play in the background from the 100 Rogues website

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is there something funky with the sleep darts? As it stands it isn't even clear if I've hit my target or not.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I seem to still have music - then again I'm still playing a character named I Can Has Power? :p

5. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hmm, I'll check it out. I think it was Stunning Attack that was showing the sleep icon that I had to tweak something. It might not be triggering the icon, but I'd be surprised if the animations didn't stop and the sleep didn't take effect.

6. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Found. Fixed. shipping soon.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A low priority goof to fix maybe with the next batch of real issues, Endless scores seemed to be sorted in reverse value (lowest to highest). I'm just stoked they're at least now being saved.

8. Appleisaac

Appleisaac Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Janitor/Student
    Up in Here
    I got to the pope with a necromeister... But it glitched! My minions are chasing around the little hooded dudes and killing them... But I can't move... And the pope is still talking!

Also I found another error. When I'm walking around there are a whole bunch of human skeletons (the same kind that necromiesters can summon) in the wall.and occasionally one of my minions joins them and it dosent let me make one to replace it.

P.s. Love the white knight! Thank u soooo much:D

9. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    2.9.5 Changelog

Hey all! After a week or so developing and several days testing and bug fixing, 2.9.5 is shipping to apple!

The complete changelog follows, but the headlining feature is that Monster classes are now a class of characters for determining which items can be used / equipped, and they can also equip items to finger slots. So, if I need to make a potion that only Mystics can drink in the future, I can still do that (NOTE: I am not likely to, since I am NOT an advocate of making items that are only available to people that have bought IAPs; at least Tourists can use monster manuals), but I can also say that all Monster classes can use one of the new items, "Monster Manual", and have it automatically allow and deny the proper classes.

Also what I've laid the groundwork for in this update is the ability to trigger targeted skills from items. ( So far we have staves that can cast targetless skills like holy fires and purify). The extra leeway in defining items will allow me to make lots of cool new items that let players use more cross-class abilities. Some other exciting advancements along these lines are planned for future updates.

And, as always, plenty of bug fixes.

New Features:
    All Monster classes are now able to equip Finger Slot items
    New Content:
    4 new exclusive Items for monster classes
    Graphical Tweaks:
    Toxic Arrows of Acid / Poison have been split into Poison Arrows and Acid Arrows, each with their own graphics
    Bug Fixes:
    Satan now appears consistently across devices
    Projectile Reflection buff saves / loads properly again
    Gypsy energy regeneration works again
    Belly loss no longer speeds up after reloading a game
    'Invisible', unkillable monsters no longer appear after wandering around a level for a long period of time
    Runes and Teleport tiles no longer disappear after a few dozen turns
    Memory optimizations for improved stability
    Dark Pope Shield now works against fire damage from Scrolls of Unholy Fires
    Fixed occasional crash when loading new levels with familiars spawned
    Various other stability improvements (e.g., crash fixed when accidentally targeting a confused 'Feed Them' chunk with Wretch when the chunk is being attacked by another monster )

10. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    *crickets*

Update is going live! At least, I've just released this version. We'll see if it goes any quicker WHEN I'M IN CONTROL LOLOLOL.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2891 drelbs, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

So, when can we expect to see the Trololo IAP?!? :rolleyes:

Of course this guy would start singing, the monsters would either run for their lives or join dancing in formation Rodgers & Hammerstein style. ;)

Better yet: if they get affected by your song, they follow you conga-line-style and stay as such until you end up breaking the line by crossing it/teleporting/attacking someone after which they all break loose and go back to normal...

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Would say winning but it just doesn't have the same effect anymore.

13. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    #2893 WesPaugh, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    Reason #1027 I should have been fired by now: unintentionally included in 2.9.5 is a sneak preview of our upcoming new game that wasn't culled out of the build as it ought to have been.

The working title is '100 Trials of 100 Rogues' (possibly just '100 Trials' as it will appear on the App Store, or maybe '100 Rogues: Trials', although that may be too long). Its an expansion of 100 Rogues' Challenge Mode into its own, linear series of 100 Rogues' levels. I guess I may as well now call 2.9.5 our 'beta' version, which exists in this update only as a much, much longer list of challenges.

At the start of the new set of challenges is a set of 25 starring a new player class, complete with hideous placeholder art, that should be making its way into 100 Rogues soon, as well, The Dungeoneer! This PC specializes in traps and gadgetry (currently his challenges only use two of his skills: Cloaking Device and Trap Hammer).

There are also 15 new challenges for each of the Crusader and Wizard classes (all with their own unique balance issues in this update), and two Tourist challenges.

100 Trials (or 100 Rogues: Trials, or whatever we decide on) satisfies a request we've gotten from players for ages: a longer, more linear version of 100 Rogues. At the moment (on my end, not in the update), it places players in a series of overworlds / hubs from which they can select and complete challenges as they like, still unlocking a new set for each 5 completed challenges. Each challenge will be scored based on the number of turns you take, how efficiently you use skills, how many monsters you kill, etc..

The game serves as something of a middle ground for people that crave challenging combat 'puzzles' that are still significantly random and replayable, and people that crave a linear experience in a game that can be, in some sense, 'completed', which 100 Rogues chose not to be.

So, cat's out of the bag. Enjoy! Please leave feedback, if you're able. A lot of work went into the challenges since that update went out that balance many of the challenges, so that feedback may not be of particular interest to me. However! I would love to hear which challenges, conceptually, you like; some are short, some have only one solution, some have a plethora of skills, some require you to find and use items, one even has hidden items! I would love to hear your thoughts.

14. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Bought this game a while ago but never went into it till yesterday... I'm so freaking hooked and this game is so hard >_<
    I can't play "easy" mode, usually I play every game on hardest lvl possible but I figured out, that normal is hard enough, maybe too hard for me :(
    I never got past lvl11 yet...
    A few minutes ago I had a pretty nice run with a +2 leather armor and a +2 vim tap (which is my favorite weapon), I was running around with this stone cat and I suddenly went into a blind alley... Since the cat was behind me I had to restart a new game, raaaaaah!!! I was so confident getting pretty far this time >_<

15. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #2895 MissDjax, Sep 23, 2011
    wow I'm just in front of Satan now o_O
    I have only one HP pot and no SP pot left though... I'm pretty much dead :(
    Hell 3 was so freaking hard compared to Hell 1 and 2 that I used all my consumables...

edit: I survived pretty damn long, making around 600 damage to Satan in total, I thought it wight be enough but it didn't :(
    Next time I'll try to save a purify item for Satan and then it should be easy.
    I went pure tank since I was lucky by finding a +2 vampire sword pretty early in game (turned it to +4 during the game). Nice game, but one dungeon more would be awesome ;)

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So will these bonus Challenges have randomized content and actually record our best results once fully cooked?

17. WesPaugh

May 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    #2897 WesPaugh, Sep 23, 2011
    That is the question, isn't it? It has been a big dilemma figuring out how to balance replayability with high-score mechanism; I don't want the randomness to mean you have to play the challenge 10,000 to get the right conditions for the highest score possible.

I also want people to be able to go back to challenges after beating them to find new and better ways to approach them.

But yes, I am working on the scoring algorithms this week, and I've been adjusting the levels I've got so far to try to make them as fair, interesting and replayable as possible. What I'm playing with now factors in how many turns you took compared to a 'par' score for the challenge, the number of difficulty of monsters you kill during the challenge, as well as how efficiently you use skills. Pinning a target to a wall with Whack of Glory for a crit will earn bonus points, for example.

The better challenges I've done so far have all been fairly long and complex, with lots of decisions to make en route. 'Number 10' was used as a baseline for the absolute minimum complexity of the challenges at the heart of the game. Apart from a few early tutorial challenges, most are quite long and involved.

In an ideal world, the random elements within each challenge (does a rat spawn or a bandit? how much damage does it do?) would average out over a long period of time. They might sometimes guide you down a different path, but always with the same likelihood of achieving a max score. At that point, the number of significant paths through a challenge provide the cap on replayability, I realize, but one of the agreements in deciding to do this was that the goal would be giving players a goal state of being able to 'complete' a game with 100 Rogues' mechanics, since many players seem to want that.

One of my fears, and I worry that the presence of this Beta within a 100 Rogues update hurts in this regard, is that we're giving off the impression of slapping together another quick game without putting any thought or care into it. In addition to the new class designed specifically for these challenges, I've been hard at work streamlining the UI for the game, making new features, mechanics, items, monsters, and monster abilities that are appropriate. I want this game to feel as unique and well-planned a game as 100 Rogues by the time it releases.

Also, how about them new Monster Class items in 2.9.5?

18. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Sweet update. Thank you very much!

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've "juiced" a few times and like how I noticed at least one time that the moment I juiced the monsters started running away from me (as if they KNEW what followed would not be pretty).

Okay then, please leave the Challenges scripted, I'm thinking of whole new modes of play then that you'll need to come up with a new name for.

Wes, have you ever played any of the Shiren the Wanderer games? The coolest aspect of these games, IMHO, were the post story dungeons. Kind of like the game saying, "Now that we've gotten this story crap out of the way, let's have some fun with the core game mechanics!" Here is a small sampling of the dungeon concepts they introduced that I think you guys could easily work in with the 100 Rogues mechanics.

Run, Scooby, Run: In this dungeon you can't gain exp (so perpetually first level but maybe double hp to be nice), most of the monsters wandering about can kill you in just 1-2 hits, and the only items you'll find are of a non-offensive manner (so healing potions, maybe mana potions without the boom properties, scrolls of evasion, food, etc. but no weapons, destructive scrolls, or offensive wands). Monsters should primarily be of the melee sort but I guess a few missile folk could be okay. Your mission is simply to dive through as many levels as you can until you're finally done in and your final score is either just the level you made it to or a more complex system that is based on how long (in turns) it took you to dive past each level like some slowly counting down bonus that isn't locked in until you take the stairs. Not sure if this could be open to all classes as they sure as heck could not use any of their offensive skills here (but then again, as first level characters, we could just deny them skills altogether or only allow one non-offensive one).

Arena: Really simple one here with each level being one huge room chock full of monsters and items. The character can level as normal and might need to start off a little leveled to begin with. Could even make it a bit of an Endless mode with stairs so that the player is rewarded for both how much they've killed and how quickly they've traversed the levels (so as to discourage camping on a level once leveled past the point of the creatures providing any challenge).

Shopping Spree: This would seem a normal enough Endless Dungeon except...the only item the player will ever stumble across will be bags of money and each level is guaranteed to have a shop. So the only items you'll ever have are those you can pay for. As a further twist, your end score is based COMPLETELY on cash on hand when you die. So this game presents you with a weird contrary goals. Are you saving up money to get the key gear needed to survive in later levels or really just being cheap as possible and seeing how deep you can dash down through the levels snagging all of the cash you can before somebody calls you number in a permanent sense?

So, using the basic game mechanics but in weird ways. :D

20. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I was hoping the phone and the trinket might make the satan fight a little easier (damn have those bats gone rabid in the latest versions!) but they kept causing my lucky tourist to crash out. Will try to find and test them again. They both sounded pretty cool though!