Universal 100 Rogues (By Fusion Reactions)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, May 4, 2010.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The future pinnacle of this idea would be:
    We pay for an empty app with a nice icon because the dev seems cool and promises a great game slowly rolling in. That's called donations rather than purchasing a products :)

But anyway, I'm also waiting for a completely working game, even don't need the updates right now, since I also could have hours of fun with the current game. Let's see, what the next updates are bringing.

2. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't get it, I feel as if you don't like that people are not bashing this game as they'd do other titles. I think that to be a good thing actually, imagine how many devs would actually continue their games if instead of a full head-on bash, they're greeted with "we'll wait, you can do it, this is truly great!". Well yes, it is annoying to have a buggy app, but if even with the buggy app ppl find fun in this (mainly, I think, as you were not supposed to end the game either way, moreso to die a lot at first), I think the expectations they're havig about the fully working title will, well, if not controlled right, come back to haunt the dev., so it is pretty much a double edged sword (again, minigore, I had hopes in that one at 1st, lost them, hope it doesnt happen with this one as well).

3. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    I see your point, but honestly speaking, I wouldn't pass on this game even if I wanted to. Roguelikes as ambitious as this one don't come out that much often, as compared to, let's say, TD games which are already very abundant in the app store. This is a legitimate attempt to break new grounds. As a gamer, it almost feels like an obligation to see it through, seeing how much potential is has. It's just what many TA members are here for... to search for the best and most interesting games possible. What you're seeing here now might as well be history in the making. It can fail, yeah, and the devs did admit they screwed up. So a lot of people got pissed and disappointed, sure. That's how things are with games. Question is, is it going to deliver? That's what we're here to find out. A lot of people post here to show their support, because they see that potential, and want to see it through... not just because they want to "snuggle" out with each other :)

4. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    grr troll

Update works great! Keep it coming cant wait for the new classes, although i have barley even touched the caster yet

5. jddoctor

jddoctor Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    #545 jddoctor, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010

I agree with almost everything - the thing is that the game isnt just a pretty face (I dont even find it especially pretty), its a satisfying strategic game. But I do believe its not a ready-to-sale product! I get the feeling that everyone is trying to support the developers, and thats what a community is all about. In this aspect, this thread is absolutely successfull and I think the devs should feel really lucky and be very grateful for it. Its a delicate balance though - the whole situation IS NOT OK. As a customer, I am very dissapointed of the game. Obviously, the developers have had a hugely unsuccessful beta, and this hurts their consumers as well as (or maybe more so) their credibility. Its a pitty, because they seem very creative - I'm hoping for a quick recovery from all this. I support them, I like their ideas, I'm just waiting to have in my hands the exact thing I bought.

6. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    The troll "argument" is just stupid. Grow up.
    I really just want to make my point clear, sorry for not having YOUR opinion.
    This is a discussion thread and what I like to do in here, is to discuss. We all got the same goal.

7. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Sure, it did become a snuggle thread. Things were pretty dark during the first half though. I think that kinda brought out the Care Bear in some of us :)

8. smirnoffsky

Feb 16, 2009
    #548 smirnoffsky, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    Awee... you're right, give me a huggy! :D

Being constructive in these threads is the key!

9. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    You want a real argument? How about you stop demanding full developing team quality from a game that is obviously very indy and a five dollar app at that. Seriously I dont understand whats wrong with some of the people on here. Sorry if you cant buy 20 games with the 15$ itunes card you got for easter but I genuinely enjoy this game and many people other than me agree it was worth buying early because we really enjoyed it enough to deal with the atrocious bugs and crashes. And within 24 hours there's an update? The developer has put a bunch of love in this and has earned a fanbase because we like it and want to see more. Find somthing better to do then complain about support for a game you dont even own.

Grrr Troll!

10. smirnoffsky

Feb 16, 2009
    Give me a hug too! :D And a manly hug for you! I'm not trolling btw, this is serious man shit here... lol! :) Seriously, we all want the same thing for the game, all you guys make a valid point.

11. WesPaugh

WesPaugh Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    The Software Developer, 100 Rogues
    Rochester, NY
    I absolutely do not think it's ok to ship a broken game, and it's not my intent to fuel a trend of developing on margin. In this instance, it was necessary to ship the game we had. For months, I've known a day would come when no matter what else needed to be done, we would have to ship whatever we had, and I balanced development of new features mandated by the game's designer and publisher with fixes for the defects that were biggest and most likely to harm the play experience.

What you're playing is the result of that balance, and if it is not working for you perfectly, and I believe you when you say it isn't, then I have not done my job fully, just done what I have had to do and all that I have been able to do, and I will continue to do just that until I am no longer the one person tarnishing this game's brilliant art and design.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Your comment has been moderated and approved!

I love the art and humor of the game but didn't pick it up after playing (trying to play) it on a friends 1st gen iPhone. I absolutely love the positivity and everyone wanting to help the dev but I don't have a lot of money to spend so I also like hearing opinions from members like you that can stay objective to the pros and cons

13. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Hm so I did 28k on the wizard and the score didnt save :(, locally or online, even tho the page with the kills was displayed succesfully, made it to lvl 6, that level is evil o.o...

14. Entropic

Entropic Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    After the update, challenge mode is broken. None of the challenges show up in the menu.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I expect full dev team quality from ANYTHING MADE AVAILABLE FOR SALE.

Bought it "early"!? You mean "bought it when it was made available for sale" and you kinda prove yourpersonalrobot's point of it being a great game that isn't/wasn't playable

There was an update in the first 24 hours because an update was NEEDED within the first 24 hours...

yourpersonalrobot stated he bought the game within the first hour

16. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    Ironic, you emphasize my point. Its a damn Indie game! A 5 dollar Indie game! I'm not talking about my BS copy of assassins creed 2 that had content removed from it so they could sell it to me after i bought the game, I'm talking an indie game, for 5 bucks. Your standards are too high.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's unclear how expecting a product to not have game stopping bugs is to be setting standards too high. That's rather reasonable and standard expectations to have for any commercial product be it indie or otherwise.

18. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    "Grrr Troll" - that is just ridiculous.
    I've bought about 900 apps already, money is never the problem since I'm glad to be able to spend more than 10 bucks on a great premium title like Chaos Rings. And I never decided to NOT buy a game because of the price. But how should you know it. But you just like to get personal. Pity.

Since my last post, I just played again until the game crashed (after installing the update and rebooting my device) on map 5. And again, all I want too is to have this game running perfectly. But I like to keep things a bit more real, although I'm a huge optimist. After my last crash, I'm going to wait for the next update. Then we can continue discussion. Good luck to the devs for the further improvement.

19. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Strange, I got HUNDREDS of indie games, which are working from day one.
    This is really a bad excuse. And again, it's NOT about the price. If your standards are that low, well, then enjoy.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    From the mouth of a G** D*** Sage; I couldn't have said it better (and I TRIED!)

I'm very excited about buying/playing this game but I'm waiting for it to be at 100%. I just don't like hearing it's an awesome game until it crashes.

I have no ill will towards the dev or anyone defending the game. When it's all fixed I plan on tweeting about it just like I do with all great indie games I play. I just appreciate objective views from our veteran members.