$1000 for advertising our app? :P

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Carlos, Mar 9, 2010.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Because when you switch back to paid you lose your ranking in the app store. If you get it to climb the charts while its a paid app, you'll get more and more sales.

2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I'm aware of this aspect.
    But having your game downloaded by thousands of people while it's free won't promote it in the long run? (Even if you loose your ranking due to switching from free to paid.)

3. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #43 bryanmitchell, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    It's much more profitable to create a free version of your paid app, and have an in-app upsell link. Over 1.5 million people have downloaded Geared-Free, and that has resulted in hundreds of thousands of click-throughs.

I tried the Free-for-a-day/week approach with my other game Spaceballs, and it resulted in 50,000+ free downloads, and didn't do much for my paid downloads.

4. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Now I find that intersting, and it seems tonmake sense. But does geared have a paid version or just the free to paid upgrade version?

5. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    Well i tried the lite and i really thought the angle was bad. It was like playing table tilt on the wii. I think people like the top down approach

6. jacobsmart29

jacobsmart29 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    washougal
    never heard of it

7. jacobsmart29

jacobsmart29 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    washougal
  8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    I will soon start advertising our upcoming game, as we think it's worth it. Otherwise chances to gain visibility is nearly zero. Still waiting for some feedback from all of you who've tried paid advertising. Thanks for the feedback provided so far!

9. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    from my experience advertising doesn't really work unless there's some buzz surrounding your game. i see banners all the time and unless the banner itself is very attractive (i'd probably say only about 0.1% of banners i've seen have this effect on me) i will ignore it.