Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    So. I have Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8. I'm not big into racing games at all, but the silly modes in this game look great! Would you recommend this over RR3 and Asphalt 8?

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    £4.99 and it has timers for fuel etc??

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #43 chris1a, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    IAP, timers etc and 7 bucks as entry price. I'm really interested in this one, but someone from 2K really needs to do a detailed explanation as to how all this works, with the IAPs, the timers, the high-er price tag..

4. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Calming down a tad but I still don't feel this is very promising. I get what they wanted to do, I think, but I don't like it. I can appreciate what 2K seem to be trying to do by dropping the visuals a tad to be able to put more trackside detail in, which suits a more "realistic" game, but at first glance I don't feel like the tradeoff was worth it. I'll take Asphalt's wow moments (the balloons, the paragliders, the dancing robot etc.) over this any day. And I can see the handling's meant to be more methodical and thoughtful rather than just bouncing around the course, but my God, I just can't get along with this tilt at all. Turned the sensitivity down and it still seems to crawl through turns then suddenly shoot the car all the way left or right. Plus the handbrake is jarring - why did this have to be a swipe? I'm just not seeing what it offers over Real Racing beyond "more things to press = automatically more realistic, therefore better".

The soundtrack's bland, the FX are unimpressive, and the menus are just... who the hell designed this? Seriously. Asphalt's are a little confusing but it still takes a matter of moments to work out what to press to GO RACE NOW or GO MULTIPLAYER NOW, and the rest of it comes with time. This is just a mess in comparison, no clear way to navigate, no clear indication how stuff is divided up... for a major studio to turn out a UI like this is pretty shocking.

I could imagine some people liking it, maybe, if they don't like EA and they want to put the time in to a more conventional racing game, but while I'll keep going for a bit (spent the money, after all, I might as well try to enjoy it a little)... I'm really not feeling that this one's for me.

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Well, I deleted RR3 after the very first race since I had to sit and stare at the screen for a few minutes while doing some repairs or whatever. How are the IAPs/Timers in this one?

6. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Where are these timers everyone keeps talking about?
    Been playing for an hour or so and havent had a single timer yet!

7. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #47 EightRooks, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Yeah, I admit, much as I'm finding things to complain about here I haven't seen a single timer. Not sure what people are referring to.

EDIT: Okay, touch controls work far, far better than tilt. Still not great - I'm not finding the handbrake much fun this way - but it seems playable, when I was starting to think tilt wasn't. Doesn't help all the design problems or the production values, but at least I can drive the bleedin' cars now. :p

8. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I just went by what Pavarotti said in the post above. Still, I'm waiting for a sober view on all this IAP/timer/whatever-mess before purchasing. Same goes for that other game, Call duties or something? Never heard of it but looks fun

Edit: wait forgot I'm on TA....yes I do know COD, was a joke....

9. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    There are two in-game currencies, stars and 2K Coins. You earn both while playing, but the first is handed out much more freely - in my limited time with the game so far, to be fair it does in fact seem to give you enough of the first just for playing in order to be able to repair minor damage. (Of course the menu to do this is still rubbish, but that's another story.) Coins are awarded more for ranking up or getting X number of trophies, that sort of thing. Upgrades and customisation can be bought with both - the cooler stuff costs coins rather than stars, though. (Let me just say how dumb it feels that upgrades appear to be only available in "packs", for a particular purpose - better handling, faster acceleration - and you can only have one of these equipped at a time - no gradual upgrade tree like RR3.) Cars I think are purchased just with coins rather than stars. The first one the game asked me to buy certainly was. And yes, of course you can buy more coins for real monies.

Hope some of that helps?

10. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Sounds like ill stick with rr3. Thx for all impressions.

11. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Oh, there are the timers! If you don't have enough in-game cash (the stars) for repairs you can wait it out. It's clearly trying not to be RR3 - handing out stars for pretty much anything, so it's not a problem in the early stages, but I don't know... If you get turned the wrong way round you're pretty much screwed (or hell, I certainly am) and given there's no instant retry you have to quit out, give up any kind of prize, repair the damage you took, start again... I could easily see the money running dry a lot faster later on.

I think I'm just going to uninstall, to be honest. Every new thing I come across is just rubbing it in this just doesn't feel as fun to me as either RR3 or Asphalt. I know I'm still on the opening races but I'm tired already of this stupid handling model, this awful UI, these bland production values... Probably better to cut my losses and write it off as money down the pan. I'm sure it'll get rapturous reviews across the board and maybe it gets amazing later on, but with all the games I have that are amazing right now I'm not seeing any reason to continue with this one.

EDIT: Oh, and it runs very poorly on my iTouch, too. Definitely playable, but frequent slowdown, crashes and music cutting out. Just generally not very polished at all.

12. metalmandave83

metalmandave83 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I love how developers think it's fine to release a game for $7 and then have IAP as well. Bloodmasque you don't need the IAP but restricting me from buying something with earned in-game currency for a game I already paid $7 for is ridiculous. I'll pass on this game. I am very much fed up with iOS gaming. If its not free I won't bother anymore. Either charge me more up front for the full game or make it free. These iOS games generally are not that good anyway.

13. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    It's official it's out worldwide

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    This month has been real bad. Two big releases today both premium price and not cheap with IAP freemium on top???

By accepting freemium now they're all beginning to charge $7 WITH the freemium $109 INCLUDED. Then they slowly will make it so you NEED the IAP. They are moving to this model very gradually almost unnoticed. Now all of a sudden we get both iap and freemium thrust on us. Next they'll have an hourly fee.

This is what people are getting for supporting freemium unadulterated GREED.

This game is CRAPOLA too. I just wasted $15 tonight on CRAP.

15. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    EightRooks:

Thanks. And thanks for confirming there are in fact timers. Wow.

I'll get this one when it's free or when...pigs start flying?

So that's two racing sims that's ruined with timers and IAPs on iOS. Undeservedly so, since it's been shown a few times that high production value games absolutely do not need all that tacked on crap with the timers and IAP, to make a profit. Only needed if the profits aren't "enough". :rolleyes:

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    great in depth review#####

17. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Maybe the problem is that you hate freemium so bad you are willing to throw money on anything with premium price tag. Now you know why so many people wait on sales.

18. Buss1985

Buss1985 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Having been playing it for half an hour or so I can't really see the timers as being a huge issue. You level up pretty quickly and with that you get coins. Winning events give you stars.

As for the timers, your car is constantly repairing itself in the background. You can spend stars to speed up this process but it doesn't seem necessary. The only part that seems consistently in need of some repairs is the bodywork but that doesn't appear to effect performance.

Whether all this holds true later into the game I couldn't say as I am obviously very early on with it.

More importantly, I just don't think it is as good as RR3 or as fun as Asphalt. It does have some weird events which are interesting but the way the cars handle is just a bit off.

Not sure it's worth the price but timers/IAP don't appear to be something to put you off at this stage...

19. evilelvis

evilelvis New Member

Sep 5, 2013
    A truly awful game with little going for it, apart from reasonably nice graphics. The menus and interface are Complex, unclear and unnecessary, the control system is truly bad and the game is expensive. How the developers have the nerve to release this immediately following the release of asphalt 8, a cheaper yet infinitely better game is beyond me....

20. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    To temper the criticism a bit I'm not claiming IAP definitely "ruins" the game - I don't think I played anywhere near enough to say that. What I will say is the thought that there are in fact timers, and that I'm being forced to pay out in-game cash to skip them because I can't get used to how the game plays, and that I'm frequently not earning any in-game cash to make up for that... all that makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe someone who likes the handling more than me would hardly notice it at all - or maybe not, maybe the repair charges get painfully high later anyway. I don't know, but the point is there's nothing to make me want to find out. RE3 the supercars cost a bomb/take forever to repair but the journey to get them is fun and the cars are cool enough to drive I don't mind that they break so easily. This game I can't even be bothered to start grinding.