Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Looks like RR3 (with all the freemium stuff) for 7 bucks

2. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    #62 Xeyad, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Game Impressions

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME LIKE I DID! Big mistake.

I post game impressions whenever I buy a game, and they're usually somewhat long posts. This one is not going to be so long, because the game is absolutely crap in almost every regard.

The game is $7, yet it's filled with timers and IAPs for coins like any freemium game, but the developers are still shameless and call it a "premium" game anyways. The freemium actually reminds me of the early days of Real Racing 3, since RR3 got a lot more generous now. However, this isn't the real con here. Funny enough, I could pass the freemium greed on a $7 game if the game was good enough, but the game is far from that, sadly.

Let's start with the graphics. At first glance, the graphics don't look too bad. Lower grade than Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8, but above average. However, my complaint here is that nothing looks "Hi-Res" as the developer says, and it really starts to get weary after a few races. All textures on car's exterior or interior or the tracks or the road surfaces just look jaggy not very nice to look at. But hey, I could pass the 'low-res' graphics on a $7 game if the game was good enough, but the game is far from that, sadly.

Moving on to gameplay. This is the real issue here. 2K Drive is just a bad driving game. The car's handling is really weird and offset, and doesn't have any accuracy at all. I tried selecting touch controls, and that was even worse. It's not just controls, it's the whole car's physics. The car accelerates fine, but one touch of the brakes and the car slows down way too much. Then we come to handling. How the hell does a FWD Fiat 500 drift like a 400 hp Camaro? Just ridiculous, especially coming for the developers who made PGR and Blur. I could forgive the handling if it was supposed to be arcady like Asphalt, but it just doesn't feel right at all. One good thing (yes, finally a positive thing to say) is that there are lots of game modes to race in, and the ideas behind them seem quite fun. However, racing events are very short. So you race for 1 minute, wait another minute for the car to get fixed, and so on. Even so, I could pass the terrible physics and offset controls on a $7 game if the game was good enough, but the game is far from that, sadly.

Everything about this game is the result of lazy ass developers who are greedy. Car sounds are the worst; reminds me of NFS games from the late '90s (yes, they are THAT bad). The game lags really badly on the iPad Mini, and crashed a couple of times during my 2 hour gameplay with this piece of garbage of a game. Real Racing 3 and Asphalt 8 run sweetly on my device, and here's a game with WAY worse graphics, and the Mini struggles with it. Race Face doesn't work very well, and the menus are very confusing.

This game had a huge potential, with lots of new and creative racing modes, and developers who did the legendary PGR and Blur as well. However, this is the perfect example of what ego does. You end being lazy and greedy to grab money as cheaply as possible just because people trust your history. Sadly, I was one of the fools who fell for this.

Sorry, I ended up writing a long post and wasting my time with this garbage.

If tl;dr then basically, 2K Drive is an attempt to make a fully-featured iOS racing game, and the result is THE WORST UTTER PEICE OF SH*TTY CRAP that landed on the iOS racing genre. DO NOT BUY!

Rating: 0/5. If Touch Arcade rates this anything above 1/5 I'll be very disappointed.

3. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Shame this has those bloody timers and doesn't seem to be all that fun. Was really looking forward for this.

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    So I was going to buy an iTunes card but I guess there's nothing good
    Strike Team - not supported
    This and 2013 IF - pathetic hopeless paidmium ripoffs.
    Anyone thinking of getting this stay away.
    (Impressions from watching Sanuku's video)
    Side note : I think RR3 is more generous than this.
    Anyone who buys this is bringing in an era of £5/$7 paidmium games

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Bought it 2 hours ago and enjoyed it, gameplay can get messy at time, but it's usually very playable, a good update would help tho. And I don't see any problems with IAP or timer, I didn't feel like I needed to spend more than the 7$.

6. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm glad everyone is leaving these impressions. I was really looking forward to this game, but I refuse to pay $7 for a game that STILL has timers and what looks to be a pay wall. This is absolutely everything wrong in the gaming industry right now. Gamers, DON'T support this kind of behavior from devs. It's ridiculous, and not fair to gamers. Whatever did we do to deserve this???? Really.....

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The driving physics in this game are very different from RR3. I have found it much more difficult to win and the challenges more hard. As for graphics. If you go to your garage and have a good look at the cars, the graphics and detail are in some cases much better than RR3. I also found that there were more colours and customisation option.

I didn't find driving a done deal like in RR3. I found that I lost quite a lot of races. If you don't drive properly. You be penalised.

I have to admit that the graphics of the cars is better than. RR3 and the gameplay is more challenging.

I'll keep an eye on timers and excess charges to let you.

8. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    What a waste of $7! Mediocre graphics. Ok steering. No collision effects. Slooooow earning process to get cars, so while you may not actually have a timer like freemium RR3, you will almost have to shell out cash for IAP at some point. Add to that the frequent crashes and its back to NFSMW for me. Deleted. #

9. Wow, never realized this was that bad, guess it is back to Asphalt 8.

10. EvilDanforth

EvilDanforth Member

Jun 3, 2013
    RR3 had the intrusive IAP... but still was a way better game than this 2K Racing. If i spent $7 in RR3 (which i didn't) it would be been fully awesome

11. bigbadrobbo

bigbadrobbo Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I completely agree. I almost brought the 25 car intro pack for another $10 - I'm glad I didn't. I could not figure out how to turn that terrible background music off. And you don't seem to be able to skip through the intro scenes before a race - so by the time you've seen them 10x they've gotten very tedious indeed. Finally the steering sensitivity was way off on my iPad Mini and I could not find a way to change it.

Very disappointed.

12. What kind of timers is there in this game? Are they like the wait timers in Real Racing 3?

13. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    No. They're egg timers. : (

:eek: :p

Yes, wait or pay timers it is.

14. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Tbh from the trailers i watched a few weeks backs i thought this game looked low budget and shit... I guess i was right.

15. best

best Well-Known Member

You guys should copy/paste or write 1 star reviews in the app store to warn others not to buy this crap.

16. bigbadrobbo

bigbadrobbo Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Good idea! Just did this...

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Spent a bit of time with this... Not overwhelmed, but I'm warming to it. I switched off steering and brake assist and it feels much better. The menu is clunky, but I like that you can access motoring news from within the game.. For me it's good not great, I was hoping it would surpass RR3 cause qiute frankly I am so pissed with FireMonkeys after the Porsche update, but this is not there yet, who knows maybe with some updates....

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm with you on that one.
    I can't quite say fully yet as it does have a kind of "grower" feel to it and a couple more updates (it had four or five during the soft launch) might actually see it right.
    I did have greater expectations for it but I think it may have released an update too early so I'm gonna give it a chance for a while.
    I must check out your steering and brake settings as its the tilt controls that either need tweaking or I've just set them up wrong.

19. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    There are assists? Christ, the menus are awful, I didn't see anything for assists - maybe that was what was making the handling feel so awkward for me. Might reinstall and try it again - having spent the money I want so much to like the damn game (though I'm not holding my breath).

20. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah there is steering, brake and ABS. Switch of steering and brake definitely. I have ABS still on at the moment.