Universal 2K DRIVE (By 2K Sports)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Jun 9, 2013.

1. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    IMO this is nowhere near as bad as people are making out. It needs a few races in to start appreciating it. It's certainly not for everyone , but the more I play, the more I like. One thing I would love to see added is a hood view(where you see the bonnet.

2. best

best Well-Known Member

Yes but for a freemium-ish game with timers im waiting for a sale.

3. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    To be honest I have not even noticed the timers, if I didn't know they were there, I would think there were no timers. They are completely unobtrusive.

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Haha. On what platform do you mean? Racing is my favourite genre so you name it I've played it most likely on any platform pretty much :p

I love how you can judge the situation when YOU are the one that hasn't played it. How does that work then? Have you played iRacing?

5. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Have you played rFactor? (PC) :p

(Still waiting for some reviews, if there were not sich a bad feedback I would buy it on the release day)

6. best

best Well-Known Member

yes. ALL the real racings, ALL the need for speed games since NFS Undercover, ALL the Asphalt games since 5(except 8 since I wasnt that impressed with 7) and some other smaller racing games I cant think at the top of my head.

I know enough about racing games but $7 for a game that has a freemiumish model is not a good thing.

I respect your opinion and if you thought the $7 was worth it then its great. i really want a sale so I get a opinion myself. ($7 is too risky)

7. Baracus

Yea sure: rFactor, GTR (and 2), GTL, Race, Live for Speed, Netkar, iRacing, GP Legends etc etc... Haven't tried that new PC free to play one but it looks great. So yeah I played most sims or racing games going back to Amstrad / Amiga days :)

I loved all the test drive series and Crammonds Grand Prix games but GTL is one I spent most time with for sure.

Anyway IMHO this game gets closest to those sims (except Drving Speed Pro but there isn't as much content to keep you there).

There are some crazy events I'm not so keen on (like drag racing, and even worse drag racing where you're forced to plough through obstacles lol) but overall it's kept me playing for way too long already coz I got work to do! :D

8. Baracus

OK we are obviously talking about and after different things here, so let's just leave it there :)
    All I will say is unless you are going to be playing 12 hours a day the timers will not impact you at all as far as I can tell so far (level 32 now and probably 8 hours driving over 2 days!)

Nuff said ;)

9. best

best Well-Known Member

Ok... have fun but dont be surprised if a price drop happens very soon.

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I thought you wrote a great review of it.
    I have it and I was undecided as to whether I'd invest time in it.
    Nothing to do with alleged freemium type practices or possible price drops (don't much care for price drops, day one full price or nothing is sorta my habit), I just thought it might need an update or two before I jumped.
    But between yourself and GPS (always tend to end up playing the same racing games as him), I'm convinced to invest further time.
    Thanks.

11. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Does it work on iPod 4?

12. lordyokomoto

lordyokomoto Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Nice review. The founders packs includes about 20 cars as well btw

13. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Tx. To be precise for all users... The founders pack unlocks almost all championships. And yes, you actually get all 27 cars, not upgraded, but you can race them all. This is extremely good value, if you consider that 27 cars at average 50 coins price totals about 1350 coins! I just need to upgrade them now.

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I've already seen you on the track RIP, one of the daily challenges. See you again trackside!

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ah, cool.
    I must invest more time in it now.

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I too am like baraccus and a PC racer... Crammond games was my faves and I loved revs on the commodore.
    I started off with a vic 20 :) then c64, Amiga, PC

I just got off having my first go on this game and its great!
    I haven't changed any handling or assist options and it seems to handle fine... More realistic than the games where u stick to the road...
    Only done 4 races so far on time trial but no problems here

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I have noticed that at random times the game will quit, and not restart till I do a reset.

18. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Can someone try it ?

19. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I also took the plunge and bought the game. Here is my take after playing for several hours.

Even though you pay up front the game does have all the components of a typical freemium game. Initially however it seems that the game is plenty generous in dishing out its currency such that you shouldn't need to spend additional money. For example: every time you level up you get 5 or 6 (sometimes 10) coins. The most expensive car is only 90 coins. In RR3 you only get 3 coins for leveling up and the most expensive car is 800 coins. In addition the leveling up seems to happen after every couple races in 2kD. So far I'm not turned off too much by this. That may change as I play more.

The driving physics is actually really good. In many ways, with assists off, it controls like a simulator more than an arcade racer. In fact it's a bit more realistic than RR3. I like the tilt controls but did find that I needed to leave the ABS and traction control on. With those off the on/off of the gas and brake makes you spin and skid too easily.

The graphics are actually really good. On par with RR3 and Asphalt 8 IMO.

The game offers a lot to do. In addition to a bunch of career mode events you can race in rotating weekly events and other various rival challenges against your friends and other people online. You can also just browse auto related news articles. It even offers a photo mode where you can take pictures of your car in various locales.

The offroad racing is actually quite a lot of fun but a real challenge as the physics are very realistic and the trucks really bounce around. Even the Salt flat speed challenge is quite a lot of fun. And a lot harder than I expected as you really feel like you are trying to tame a rocket car that wants to fly out of control at any moment.

I like this game a lot and already feel like the price was worth the purchase. I may get irritated with the freemium aspects of it but so far it seems manageable. There are a couple things I don't like though:

Great looking car cockpits but no rear view mirrors. Instead, you have a little radar like rear view mirror which just shows you the general positon of the car behind you.

No minimap. This makes learning the tracks a bit tougher. But there is no penalty (other than damaging your car) for running a race so you can just run the track multiple times to learn the track. Just take it easy because you can damage your car enough to require repairs.

No indication of how far ahead or behind you are from the other cars.

Only a small number of cars and very few super cars (only Viper, Ford GT, Nissan GTR, McLaren MP4-12C, Vette).

No adjustability for tilt sensitivity. The default is pretty good but I'd like to be able to fool with it.

I could go on and on but would rather people just ask me questions so I can answer those concerns people have directly.

20. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    #120 GPS, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Pretty sure you'll find the tilt does have sensitivity, when you select an event, hit pause at the top left just before you start(or after, any time within the race) and its in the settings there.
    Edit: also if you check the rear view icon( on bumper cam) there are little indicators, white helmets I think, that give a vague indicator of where your rivals are.