33rd DIVISION IN APPSTORE 10/22/2009

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by craneballs, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Dang. That's not fair.

2. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    how do you pause this? ive gmailed the developer , but, ill post it here too.
    My first Impressions, Nice game. definately a new take on the draw lines to a point genre.
    suggestions
    A main menu :p
    each soldier has a different loss of sconds, and gain of points, speed too
    start of with three enemys, but one on the other side of the red line gate.

soldiers coming to and from every side of the screen.

I know you might be planning to support these, but just want to make sure.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Your impressions must be VERY early cos there are different speeds. Soldier is normal, medic is fast and general dude is slow. Also soldier is 1 point, medic is 2 and general is 5 (I think).

4. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    i knew they were different speeds, i meant to go with the different speeds.
    but i didnt see about the points.
    but still there are seconds.

5. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    New record! 142!! Eat it Walsh!!:)

6. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Line drawing + commandos. Man, this game is my thing.

Just had my first three runs and all I can say is that it seems to be quite challenging, my best score is only 10. But I'm already in love with it.

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    #87 Hmar9333, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Ok, so far, my high score is 21 (I've only played it two times)

The only bug I've noticed so far is when my troops aren't detected at the very edge of the soldier's line of sight. I've uploaded some pictures of the bug as attachments.

Suggestions: A power-up that allows you to kill a soldier,
    And the dog that the soldier is walking with looks like a large, wavy mustache...

An interesting take on the line drawing genre, and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it, I'm glad that it is actually different to all of the flight control clones stinking up the app store.

Edit: I've also noticed that as you get further into the game, losing troops loses you more seconds, and you gain less seconds from safely making it to the other side of the screen.

8. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    Ok been playing the beta for bout half an hour now and i really like the direction this game is going and i really like everything that mabeswordguy said but a few things i would like to see...

-a mode where time is not a factor but instead you have lives
    -instead of just shooting gaurds, gaurds that chase you with riot wands and gaurds that send dogs that are fast

But first impressions of the beta is that this is going to be a really fun and addictive game.

9. Just set up an invite only group for all the beta testers on this game but don't know all the testers names so if you are testing and want to post in the group let me know you are testing...And yes i'm testing it as well ;)

10. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    My high score so far is 103 but I have only played maybe 5 times. After playing for a bit more a fast forward button might be a good idea. A restart button is definitely needed. I second the game mode idea of lives and not timed, as an addition, I really like the current mode. Also how about multiplayer where one person controls the gaurds and the other controls the soldiers? Or just a game mode where the roles are reversed. So far I like the idea behind the game, promising for sure :)

11. Only had a couple of goes so far and top score a measly 22 but I'm cream crackered and it's gone 3am in the UK here so I'm off to bed as have been beta testing Earth Vs Moon all day...Will test this more later today...Like what I see so far tho...

12. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Oh YEAH??????
    My hiscore is.......

13. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    oh yeaa??? my high score is 0 thats how good i am

14. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    haha. My score so far has gotten up to 23. I think this game has real potential in the app store. I have experienced one oddity that I found by just messing around a few times.
    If you go to the building and start drawing quick circles the line can pass through the building. Of course the soldier can't pass through the building so he just starts walking around pathless. No big issue for actual gameplay moments, but still there incase you wanted to know.

15. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    My high score is 77 now!

And I don't know if this was a glitch, or it's supposed to do that... But I had two soldiers run near the house (without a guard coming out), and they were caught for some reason...

16. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Probably cuz a new soldier was coming out of the house

17. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Nope, there wasn't one coming out, I saw no light; that's what I don't get.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #98 pluto6, Aug 8, 2009
    Played for a couple of hours. I must be really bad. Had my 15 y/o son also playing - best we could do is 23. I have no idea on Clymos got those scores - must have a dev package and is playing on the PC or something..:D

Anways - line drawing around the house will sometimes yield a path that goes back and forth instead of just goes one way. Sorry happened too quick for a screen shot. Hit detection seems spot on - came extremely close to guards - but did not get detected unless actually in the green. Discovered that tapping the guy lets him lay down, and won't get detected unless right next to the guard.

For me, even 1 death essentially spelled the end because the time was always such that the next guy would never have enough time to get through. Maybe I was spamming lying down too much, but changing the path multiple times did not seem to help with time either.

Success with better scores (for us anyways) seemed rnadom - sometimes the places the soldiers were, the circles were, and our guys just matched up better. When you had multiple diagonal runs - even if successful, even with no lying down, even with pretty straight lines, you could not make up the time - takes longer than 10 sec to get there.

Overall looks very good. 3rd guard adds spice / variety.

Suggestions : Maybe an easy mode that gives more time for success? Maybe when you lie down time slows a little? Passing close by the guard lets you put him to sleep for 15 seconds? Have a way to let another person come out so you can run 2 or 3 at a time? (Discovered that tapping the symbol lets them come out) Clymos - here I come!

Noted that tapping on symbol to have them come out sometimes requires a couple of taps.. Hit detection?

19. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #99 Devilishly Good, Aug 8, 2009
    So far I've gotten up to 31.

First impressions:
    -really like the graphics for the soldiers, background, and pathing dots
    -very fun yet with a good amount of challenge
    -soldiers seemed pretty responsive to tapping to hide/unhide
    -I sometimes had to hit the incoming soldiers' symbols more than once to have them come out
    -not 100% sure but sometimes when having a soldier run right past the guard house he "bounced off"? instead of following his path?

Potential suggestions:
    -with the road going down the center, how about having a jeep with headlights on drive down the road at irregular intervals and if one of our soldiers is caught in the headlights, he's lost even if he's in hiding position

-powerups/powerdowns that we can pick up or try to avoid, you would have to draw a path through them and a soldier has to run through them to pick them up or encounter them accidentally for a powerdown, example "double-time march" and all our soldiers speed increases for 10 seconds, "halt" and enemy guards freeze for 5 seconds, "reassignment" and one soldier heads to the guard house and a new one will start respawning immediately, "forced march" and the guards continue straight ahead in their current path for 3-5 seconds, "night vision" and guards get 360 spotting vision for 5 seconds, "military efficiency" and we get +10 seconds beyond the time given for docking a soldier, or maybe a powerup that would slow enemy guards for a few seconds

-how about a thin colored ring in some primary color that corresponds to the same colored edging placed around the ring we have to send the soldier too, i'm talking something thin and bright like the neon green of the pathing dots...something that would help us to immediately distinguish which ring a soldier must be sent to when we have more than one spawned on the board

-another soldier type "special forces" and with him your goal is to actually come up and encounter a guard by approaching reaching him anywhere but within his cone of detection, if successful, the special forces guy will kill the guard, and after a small delay of 5 or 10 seconds, a new guard will spawn

20. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Haha no but since harbor master I got hooked and after around 10 tries I broke the top 50 on global boards for three maps. I have not played it in a whil but I am still 75 on one. I am can just pick these types of games up quickly, all but flight control ironically. Oh and to run multiple at a time you just press that circle that shows up where they will come in and they will come in early, that should really help improve your score.